Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Free 4406 manual shift, bad front output

4406 manual shift from a 2001 f150, unknown mileage. Ran it in my mountaineer for about a year until the front output started leaking and making a chirping sound with the driveshaft installed. Otherwise shifted and worked fine. If you think you could use/fix it come get it, located in RI.
  2. E

4406 Front output leak?

Anyone else experienced a front output seal leak? Just noticed mine leaking, wondering if it can be fixed in place, or if I'll need to pull the case.
  3. E

4406 swap vibrations

Anybody else having issues with front shaft vibrations after a 4406 swap? My stock height, stock tire size mounty makes a loud "roaring" sound at highway speeds along with a vibration. Only occurs with the front double cardan shaft installed. I had the shaft balanced and that made it better...
  4. E

98-01 AWD shafts and t-case + random parts

Front CV OEM driveshaft less than 10,000 miles- $100 have all bolts Rear driveshaft, new greasable premium joints- $50 Also have a K&N drop in for 99 year v8- $40 inlcudes cleaning kit Drivers door lock actuator, also have one first gen rear hatch-$15 for both first gen IAC, from NAPA, used -...
  5. E

5.0 Camshaft synchronizer

Having a low oil pressure problem at warm idle according to the dash dummy gauge, sender is new only a few months old but will verify with a real gauge. Other than that no odd noises, engine runs very well. At 138k now on the original synchronizer and would like to replace it to rule that out...
  6. E

v8 slow to warm up in cold weather

A little background: 99 v8 with new water pump, radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc. in August. Warms up normally when the ambient temp is above ~45°F. When the temp drops below freezing it takes a very long time for the temperature to even reach the bottom of the scale. When driving at highway...
  7. E

Powdercoated Bumper by Turdle

Awhile back (december) I posted about repainting the bumper on my 99 mounty. Like most of its age the bumper was rotting out, with chunks of paint and rust falling off. I decided to go with a new replacement bumper, and our resident powdercoat master Turdle offered to coat it to match...
  8. E

Front end noise

99 mountaineer 302, awd, 125k on the clock. I've been getting a lot of clunks in the front end for about a year now and have gone through just about everything and theres still something not quite right. So far I have replaced both upper control arms (switched to a one piece on the passenger...
  9. E

DIY Painting Bumper?

My mountys rear bumper has developed the typical rust spots on it, meaning its not salvageable. Body shop quoted me $500 for replacement about a year ago when i first noticed it bubbling. Now its flaking off and its time to do something about it. I'm thinking of buying a new bare steel bumper...
  10. E

Clutch bleeding issues

I've searched and tried the recommended gravity bleeding, and removing the mc, and a combination of both with no improvement. The first bit of pedal travel is still very soft but the rest feels fine. I can see the slave moving when the pedal is depressed but its not enough to shift out of...
  11. E

Flywheel bolts

In 96 did they have the standard head or the external torx and what size are they? Getting ready to put a new clutch in my 96 at 210k miles.
  12. E

Roof rack or sunroof leak

I'm getting wet spots above the rear drivers seat, just enough to make the headliner moist and leave a black stain. It also only happens where the headliner goes up after the sunroof and around that bend. Anybody else have a leak like this?
  13. E

FYI: Dimmer switch fix

My 99 dimmer switch wasnt working right, you could hear it arcing and had to mess with it alot to get all of the lights to work correctly. Instead of paying $$$ for a new one I found its very easy to fix. 1. Remove the switch 2. Carefully pop of the cover on the back. 3. Notice the 2 tabs...
  14. E

5.0 chirp when humid/raining

I've had my 99 mounty for a few months now and have had a chirp that seems to come whenever it has rained recently. Its got 110k on it and has been very meticulously maintained by the dealer. The sound is like when the water pump on my 4.0 went out. Could it be the water pump at 110k, or the...
  15. E

p1401- egr valve or DPFE sensor

I recently got a steady p1401 code, it came on and hasnt gone away. What is the most likely problem the valve or the sensor itself? It does have 200k miles on it and is the old metal version, not sure on the egr's history because i dont have all the paperwork with me now. I also recently had...
  16. E

Manual trans noise solution

Recently I decide to replace the carpet in my truck. In an effort to combat some of the noise coming from the shifter I stuffed the boot with the extra insulation material. Huge reduction in road/engine noise. Hope this helps anyone else looking to quiet down the interior.
  17. E

Gas smell, and hard cold starts

Recently I have a strong smell of gas coming from what seems like the rear by the gas tank, I also have hard starting when cold, it cranks for way longer than normal. I have found it doesnt crank as long the longer you wait before you start, but still longer than normal. I have read that it...
  18. E

v8 t-case swap questions

I'm picking up a 98+ v8 explorer or mounty soon, and I am already planning the conversion. My big questions is has anybody used any tcase other than the 4406? I would like a case that I can have twin sticks on, but if that cant be done with out adapters and custom shafts, and a body lift, then...
  19. E

Squeaky front end

Recently I have developed a squeaky front end going over speed bumps and around corners at low speeds, I can replicate the noise by pushing down on the bumper and it sounds like it might be coming from the passenger side. I replaced the radius arm bushing on that side about 6 months ago. No...
  20. E

Bi-Zenon Projector retrofit

I'm planning on retrofitting hella bi-zenon projectors into my stock headlights. They cam stock on my daily driver and definitly well worth the money. The thing I am worried about is clearance on the passenger side headlight. Has anyone who has done this run into any issues with the battery?
  21. E

Million vs. 100k mile odometer

The odometers in first gens seem to be pretty random, some have 5 digit and some have 6 digits. While I was working under the dash today I found a ford sticker in my 93 that says "Million Mile Odometer New York State Only". Just something interesting I found.
  22. E

What accesory wire to use?

I'm installing a remote starter That has 2 ignition relays ( one can be switched to accesory) and one accesory output. There are 2 accesory wires on the ignition switch- gray/yellow and black/light green. Which one (or both) is the one that is on in the accesory position and run position but...
  23. E

Easy way to determine diff. gear ratio

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but on the passenger side on the beam right behind the lower shock mount on the radius arm is a sticker that clearly states the gear ratio, open or ls, and some other info. In my case it said DANA 35, 3.27 :( , STD. 3.27 being the ratio and standard...
  24. E

Whats better?

For the transmission and gas mileage? I drove the explorer today work for a change and was playing around with D and OD. Doing roughly 55-60 mph in D at ~2000 rpm or in OD at ~1500 rpm. It feels alot better in D, shifts less responds better and doesnt downshift as much, and I think the motor...
  25. E

Passenger side rear storage compartment

Has anyone made some kind of storage compartment where the factory sub would go, I have nothing back there right now because my new amp doesnt fit well and I dont like that little storage basket in there. I want to make a door for that opening out of lexan or something similar. What kind of...
Back