Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Any tips on replacing transmission pan gasket?

My 1996 XLT has a drip from around the front of the transmission pan. I bought a Motorcraft trans filter and gasket and O-ring kit to install soon. I will check the pan against a glass table to confirm that it's flat, I will use a 1/4 inch socket driver to avoid overtightening. What are the...
  2. M

Are these regulator brushes worn out? Upgrade from 95A to 130A with same serpentine belt?

The battery is discharging 9 amps while running, indicating an alternator failure. I tried grounding the pin with no change. So I removed the regulator and the brushes look a bit short. Is it possible they are so worn out that they aren't making contact anymore? Edit: I'm pretty sure these are...
  3. M

Hood latch is stuck part closed: won't open and won't close

Today I recharged the AC, which required setting my big tank on top of the front crossmember. The tank must have depressed the hood latch, rotating it downward from its normal open position. When I closed the hood it didn't close all the way. It's open about 3/4 inch and stuck there. Can't...
  4. M

Long term fuel trim LTFT is 20% on both banks; rough idle; what should I try?

My 1996 XLT 4WD has a slightly rough idle at 800 rpm. There are no misfire codes or any other trouble codes for the engine. I recently failed a smog test with >200 ppm HC at idle, which is much higher than I've ever seen on this vehicle. The vacuum is steady at 20 psi. I think this rules out a...
  5. M

Brake lights stay on until I pull up on the brake pedal

1996 XLT 4WD 4.0L I replaced the brake light switch but the problem persists. The pedal does not reliably come back up fully when the service brake pedal is released. It's maybe 1/4 inch short of fully up. I have not noticed any brake dragging or mpg problems. Is this a sticky master...
  6. M

Solved CA Smog was at the limit last time, would disabling overdrive help?

My 1996 Explorer 4WD was right at the HC limit at 15 mph last time, even after replacing spark plugs and wires. This time I expect it to fail. The vehicle has 180k miles but it runs perfectly and burns no oil. I'm thinking that reduced diameter tires (I currently have 33-inchers!) would help by...
  7. M

Blend door actuator shaft does not move: both old and new actuators

My 1996 Explorer with manual temperature control is stuck on high heat. If I turn on the AC I can almost get it back to ambient temperature. It was working perfectly a couple weeks ago. It has never made noise. I removed the blend door actuator (F57H-19E694-AA) and determined that its shaft...
  8. M

P0171 and P0174 Lean both banks (Solved)

My 40.L SOHC 1995 has these codes. I already sprayed the MAF and changed the IAC valve which had generated its own error code. I have attached the FORScan app screen grabs showing fuel trim at idle and the error codes and explanations. A year ago when I had a similar problem I checked...
  9. M

Clicking relay(?) under center armrest won’t stop

1996 XLT 4WD. Something that sounds like a relay is clicking continually under the front of the center armrest any time the ignition is on, with or without the engine running. Nothing I do with the dashboard controls changes it. The vehicle runs normally. What could this be?
  10. M

Check your 4wd transfer case for extreme sludge! Do it now!!

I recently replaced the VSS driven gear and it got chewed up within 250 miles. So I belatedly checked the transfer case fluid. Nothing but black powder inside the fill plug. When I drained it, the "fluid" was thicker than molasses and there was less than a pint of it. Holy crap! I plan to...
  11. M

Rear brakes locking up before fronts

1996 XLT 4WD. I just replaced my stock tires with 31x10.5x15 mud tires and I replaced the rear pads with ceramics (Wagner ThermoQuiet QC667). Now when I mash the brake pedal the rears lock up way before the fronts. I probably have semi-metallic pads on the front but I'm not sure. I'm thinking...
  12. M

Check engine light won't light up at all but bulb is good

This is weird. 1996 4WD XLT. I admit I was a bad boy and let the check engine light stay on for 5k miles or so. The bub burned out. No problem, I thought. I just swapped the working battery warning light bulb into that socket. But the darned thing STILL will not light up when I turn on the...
  13. M

Speed-related noise behind radio, sounds like a speedo cable that I don't have

My 1996 4WD Explorer makes a noise above 20 mph which sounds EXACTLY LIKE a damaged speedometer cable. Trouble is, this vehicle doesn't have a speedometer cable! (Or does it?) I would like to replace the noisy part if I could only figure out what part that is. The noise seems to come from...
  14. M

Any options for a taller driver's headrest?

I'm concerned that the stock drivfer's seatback on my 1996 XLT provides no heat support, only a perfect fulcrum for whiplash. The headrest serves only as a neckrest for me. Are there any aftermarket solutions to this, or any alternate model year seat swaps that will provide an adjustable...
  15. M

CA Smog: 2 ppm over the HC limit

This is the first in over 100 California smog tests that any of my vehicles has failed. It seems to me that a limit of 31 ppm for HC on a 1996 vehicle is too strict, but that's what it is these days. My 4.0L tested at 33 ppm. Other emissions were not close to their limits. HC was 20% under limit...
  16. M

How to determine whether prior owner already did the Torsion Twist lift?

I installed Warrior 153 shackles in the rear today. Wheel well height is now 33 inches, about 1.75 inches more than before. The front wheel well height is 32.5 inches, and the body of the truck measures essentially level. The front tires are heavily worn on the inside, indicating negative...
  17. M

Should I put 2013 16" rims on my 1996 XLT?

A search indicates that the bolt patterns are the same for all Explorers. Does that mean I can put 16-inch wheels on my 1996 Explorer 4WD? I want to do a 2" suspension lift (shackles and torsion) and buy a separate set of taller wheels and tires for off-road. (Yes, I know the speedo will be...
  18. M

slow water leak plus P0135, P1131, and P0133 codes

My 1996 Explorer 4WD 4.0L has three check engine codes: P0135, P1131, and P0133 When I clear them they return fairly quickly. When I first saw the P0133 code I changed the pre-catalyst oxygen sensor on the right side. Now I have P0133 and two more codes. So I guess it wasn't a problem with...
  19. M

Replacing voltage regulator rather than entire alternator: Did I decide correctly?

The dash warning battery symbol lit up and my 1996 Explorer's alternator stopped generating anything. I went through the troubleshooting procedure in the service manual to the point where you ground the field coil terminal and sure enough the alternator sprang to life with good output and a...
  20. M

96 4wd troubleshooting, Step 4 completed

Symptom: 4WD light illuminates, 4WD Low light does not. Flashing $WD and 4WD Low lights either 6 times or 4 time (it varies) on ignition turn-on. I did the procedure described in the sticky: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1817539&postcount=1 Step 1) Jack up the front...
  21. M

4WD low does not engage: 96 Explorer

My new-to-me Explorer appears to switch to 4WD high but refuses to engage 4WD low. And now I have the 6-times-flashing 4WD and 4WD low dash lights when turning the ignition on. I used the correct procedure: Stop the car, put it in neutral, and switch to 4WD low. Nothing happens. I read...
Back