Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Tan speaker covers??

Speaker covers are welded to the inside of the door trim panel and not (easily) replaceable? When my driver's door speaker cover cracked, I just ended up replacing the whole panel.
  2. A

4.0 sohc swap to 4.0 ohv

Knock sensor? If I recall correctly, the OHV lacked one, unlike the SOHC.
  3. A

Power Lock issues on 2000 XLT

Shorted wiring in the driver's door?
  4. A

4.0 ohv staring problems

Check your IAC valve too; it could be fouled or have a bad gasket.
  5. A

Valve cover replace. Any other things to get done?

Ah, yes I remember finding acorns buried all in there. I've used carb cleaner sprayed into the EGR valve inlet/outlet (but not in the vacuum line hole for the diaphragm) once the gasket was off, and it seemed to work fine.
  6. A

Valve cover replace. Any other things to get done?

Valve covers have to come off if you're doing lower intake manifold gaskets. Might as well do those while you're at it, if they haven't been done already, especially if you have had even the slightest hint of coolant loss, oil loss, or other non-compression related symptoms similar to head...
  7. A

Does an extension alter torque wrench reading?

The effect is negligible. The actual torsion moment on the extension is extremely small. Play at the socket drive won't cause any effect on applied torque other than whatever infinitesimal elastic strain may be occurring in the contact area of the socket and drive (likewise, unless your tools...
  8. A

2000 Explorer 15" wheels on a 2012 Escape???

Would the factory 15" wheels (10-hole 10-slot style, if it makes a difference) from 2000 fit onto a 2012 Ford Escape (specifically 4-cyl 2WD) without the need for brake modifications or spacers? The 2012 Escapes came with 16" or 17" wheels and a slightly different offset, but the same bolt...
  9. A

Suddenly, oil is fouling cylinder 1 plug - cats too?

Cylinder 1: 155 psi after 5 cranks (137 psi after 3 cranks) - oil present in cylinder after cranking Cylinder 2: 145 psi Cylinder 3: 155 psi Cylinder 4: 145 psi Cylinder 5: 155 psi Cylinder 6: 155 psi
  10. A

Thanks for the reply. Whether I've pulled the plug 15 minutes after shutdown or 2 days after, it would still appear oily with hard deposits underneath. Today I pulled the plugs in hopes of doing a compression test, but my Harbor Freight Tools compression tester of course only included fittings...
  11. A

I don't really have time or space to tear the upper engine apart again just to experiment around, so hopefully you folks who are smarter than me can advise. Back in March I ran some Seafoam through the intake manifold. Then one day in April while driving on the highway I felt it start to...
  12. A

96 explorer $350

Nice find. Keep an eye on oil and coolant levels at first. lower intake manifold bolts are known to loosen up and the gaskets themselves to go bad. But besides the goofy set-up has coolant passages in the cast aluminum lower intake manifold, you can't really go wrong with the OHV 4.0L.
  13. A

Broken Automatic Shifter (not just loose and sloppy)

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track here . . . To make a long story short, over the past few months I had noticed the shifter become slightly sloppy; in fact a couple times I had it start to roll away in Park, which can be a bit nerve-racking (parking brake hasn't worked in years...
  14. A

Deiiferential fluid

The sticker inside your door that contains VIN, GVWR, and other DOT-relevant information will list the axle code. If you have a D2, D4, or L73 underneath the word AXLE then it's a Traction-Lok. There should also be a metallic tag on the differential housing itself that tells you to use only...
  15. A

Deiiferential fluid

75W140 with friction modifier if it's the limited slip Traction-Lok axle
  16. A

While the intake manifold is off (late 4.0L OHV) . . . a few questions

1. I am confused as to where/how to use RTV silicone. I've read to use it in each of the four corners, I've read that there are several notches that make it obvious to where it should go (not obvious to me though!), I've read that it should follow the coolant ports, and I've read that it...
  17. A

4.0 OHV Maintenance Suggestions

Be on the lookout for intake manifold gasket leaks. The upper gaskets would cause a vacuum leak and throw some lean codes at worst. But the lower gaskets can allow coolant to seep into the oil, since our engines have the thermostat housing concurrent with the lower intake manifold. Even the...
  18. A

97 explorer sport

Yep, hitting a bump that fast will do that.
  19. A

MPG increase?

Do you have your roof rack cross-bars still on? Removing those would help aerodynamics a bit.
  20. A

What is this part called?

Believe it or not, that whole cast aluminum assembly is the lower intake manifold. Unless, you mean what is behind & underneath that, in which case I would agree with koda2000.
  21. A

Because I apparently cannot find it.. Things to check on Explorer.

Transmission shifting nice and smoothly, and the fluid doesn't smell/look burnt? (Same on the power steering fluid)
  22. A

throttle body question

No, Fel-Pro and Victor Reinz TB gaskets are readily available.
  23. A

throttle body question

Well, if you want to be thorough, you might as well remove it. You'd be surprised how much gunk can build up from the air intake all the way to the intake valves, throughout the intake manifold. Carburetor cleaner, throttle body cleaner, it's all the same stuff. Just don't spray on any MAF or...
  24. A

What size are the Tension Clamps on hoses?

Personally I don't like those plier-type hose clamps, so I use CT clamps. Yes they're worm-drive but constant-torque governed by Belleville washers or spring. For the radiator hoses I'm using size 28s (33-57mm) and they fit perfectly -- could be wrong but I think it's Breeze CTS-28. For the...
  25. A

corrosion inhibitors without anti-freeze

Have you considered using a propylene glycol coolant? Heck, look what's on the front of the jug: http://www.peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/sierra/
Back