Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

As an update to an old thread, Timken is now made in China.
  2. R

No overdrive

Just wanted to thank all of you that have helped me over the last 4 years. I have finally decided that this vehicle is a never ending project which will never be finished. She's been in the family since new in 1991, decided to move on to other projects. She's now for sale and will be missed...
  3. R

No overdrive

Ran two wires from the plug in engine compartment, 3/4 shift and converter lock to two toggle switches in cab to ground. Looks like the 3/4 shift is not working at all, but appears the converter is locking up. Someone suggested as much, maybe what I felt previously was just the converter lockup.
  4. R

No overdrive

I was thinking about manually switching both solenoids on and off with toggle inside cab. Can the lockup solenoid be applied while in drive 3 or will it only work in overdrive?
  5. R

No overdrive

Now that the converter is unlocked, I unplugged that connector under hood that goes to both of the solenoids, if trans stays good, then like you said it should a least rule out the possible bad torque converter solenoid. Thanks for your input.
  6. R

No overdrive

Any ideas as to why converter is ok now as opposed to previous day? I'm thinking the converter solenoid must have stuck in on position. Now when brakes applied in forward or reverse it does not die.
  7. R

No overdrive

Today put the truck in air on jacks, started up and put into drive and reverse, it does not die now, what does this indicate? Really like this truck and don't want to give up.
  8. R

No overdrive

The saga continues: Today while driving, pulled into parking lot, truck died in gear, put into park, truck starts up right away, shift into drive or reverse truck dies instantly. Pulled the plug in engine compartment that goes to trans shift/overdrive solenoid, restart motor, give lots of...
  9. R

No overdrive

After watching your video several times, I think you will be seeing at least 3,000 rpm in overdrive when traveling at 65 mph.
  10. R

No overdrive

Based on your video, looks like you will be around 3,000 rpm @ 65 mph when in overdrive. Looking forward to your upcoming video. :)
  11. R

How to: 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement

If you want to save $$$ see my post # 252.
  12. R

No overdrive

Great video Nate, was hoping you filmed the speed at 65 to see where your rpm was in overdrive. When in drive mine looks the same as yours.
  13. R

No overdrive

If you read my post #61 it is clear to me that overdrive is indeed working. Not sure if it makes alot of difference but my tires are only 27.5 " tall.
  14. R

No overdrive

Today I disconnected the plug that goes to the trans solenoids, at 60 mph rpm is at 3000. Plugged back in at 65 mph tac reads same rpm 3000, this confirms overdrive is working. Also tapped brake at freeway speed and the converter is unlocking as intended. Still don't understand why this truck...
  15. R

No overdrive

Pulled the cable on inside of cab, drove and the kickdown is working. Truck shifts fine 1-3 no delays and not too soon. The more I research, there are so many potential things that can cause my issue, I'm not one to give up but seems like I've tried everything.
  16. R

No overdrive

Can the throttle kick down cable cause no overdrive? I noticed the cable does not pull even with gas pedal to floor. Pushed the button on firewall and pulled on cable but still doesn't seem to pull with gas pedal to floor.
  17. R

No overdrive

This truck has not been abused or driven hard, thats why I think it is something simple, not sure how to check the overdrive servo, could it be that simple ? The fluid looked clean when drained.
  18. R

No overdrive

This truck has been in family since new, has not towed. The trans was rebuilt at 105,000 in 2005, currently has 160,000. I keep thinking it is something simple, I have not checked the intermediate servo or speed sensor yet. Its been a really good truck, I can remember when my dad bought it brand...
  19. R

No overdrive

I have no engine braking in 1st or 2nd when going downhill.
  20. R

No overdrive

Yes mine did not have that screen, assume when it was rebuilt several years ago it was removed. Not sure if my trans has the single or double wrap overdrive band, I checked it and was set at 1 3/4 turns out, tried 1 1/2 no different, then set it at 2 turns out and left it there. When I test...
  21. R

No overdrive

Is it possible the overdrive band could be out of adjustment ? Think it is currently at 1 1/2 turns out.
  22. R

Engine knock or tick. No one can give me an answer.

Oil pan was dropped and valve body cleaned after Seafoam treatment, also new filter installed, cut open old filter, no sludge or particles inside :)
  23. R

Used the Seafoam two weeks ago for several days before doing oil change, but running fine ever since, no more noise :)
  24. R

I had the same noise, think it was also from clogged lifters. Somewhere I read about a fix using one half bottle of Seafoam in oil. I put in the 8oz and drove for about 3 days, all noise is now gone. After the 3 days I drained oil and refilled with 5/30 weight. Problem solved. I'm a believer in...
  25. R

No overdrive

Thank you for all your help. My only last thought relates to the first paragraph in my post #36 , can someone please respond to the ohms reading I got on that plug.
Back