Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. JK080

4R75W\E transmission case bore issue (4R70W/E, AOD, AODE)

If someone had that sleeve to spin then their tool cut the bore too large. I have done at least a hundred of these sleeves and that sleeve fits every tight and with loctite that thing isn't going anywhere. I have even had to sleeve a sleeved case before and had to use the tool to cut the old...
  2. JK080

4R75W\E transmission case bore issue (4R70W/E, AOD, AODE)

I wouldn't worry about the damage to the case that is between the ring contact area, nothing rides there anyways. I would be more concerned about the undercutting the last ring has done to the case. I would find a shop that has that tool and have them sleeve the case and also install a new...
  3. JK080

S.O.S!.!.! 5r55s - LOST 3RD GEAR COMPLETELY - STRANDED

I think that the intermediate band has broken or the intermediate servo has failed. You could check the intermediate band adjustment, if it screws in more than 3 turns the band is probably broken. Hopefully, it will tighten, and you can just adjust it back out 2 turns and pull the servo...
  4. JK080

4r70w front seal leak questions

Just to throw this out there, the converters themselves can leak too, we have seen them leak from the pads that the studs are on leak where they are welded to the cover.
  5. JK080

Tranny Rebuild

From what I can see it looks like it should, when it's installed into the case the drum should turn clockwise and lock counterclockwise.
  6. JK080

Tranny Rebuild

Make sure the overdrive planet turns in the proper direction, the sprag can be installed upside down.
  7. JK080

Tranny Rebuild

Yep, it looks like you found it, check the race on the overdrive planet that rides in the sprag for damage, it has to be smooth. Same for the outer sprag race in the center shaft. The best way to remove the sprag element from the center shaft is to use the three holes on the shaft side and a punch.
  8. JK080

Tranny Rebuild

If this transmission wont go into reverse or drive and only moves forward when the OD is canceled or manual 2nd or low is selected the number one cause of this is a failed input sprag. This sprag can wear out or flip over and "look" fine especially if your not familiar with the way it supposed...
  9. JK080

O/D light flashing

The P0741 code is what is triggering the OD light to flash, the code is set when the computer does not see a rpm drop when engaging the converter clutch. Unfortunately there is a few reasons why the converter clutch wont come on, from problems with the pump or valve body or solenoid to the...
  10. JK080

Help diagnosing 5R55S issues!

The fluid will expand when it gets hot so the level will rise as it heats up. Delayed engagements mostly when cold is a classic example of a low fluid condition. Always check and adjust transmission fluid when at operating temperature. If the fluid level is low it most likely will have a leak...
  11. JK080

2016 - 2nd Torque Converter Failure?

I have seen converters fail at the 50/60k mark in these vehicles, when we do them we always replace the pump and valve body from the dealer because this is where most of the converter problems come from in this transmission and many others in this 6 and 8 speed family for that matter. Maybe...
  12. JK080

98 5R55e Missing OD 1,2,4, D1,2 and R. Can drive Man1->Man2->D3->D4->OD5

Its a very weak spot to begin with, after the first sprag failure there could have been wear or damage to the inner and outer races the sprag rides on and if they weren't replaced too it could cause a repeat failure. Maybe the sprag is fine but the inner race broke off the planetary, seen this...
  13. JK080

98 5R55e Missing OD 1,2,4, D1,2 and R. Can drive Man1->Man2->D3->D4->OD5

Sure sounds like a broken input sprag to me.
  14. JK080

2007 Explorer with 5R55S trans issues

Well I would say that's a problem, looks like this transmission will have to come out.
  15. JK080

2007 Explorer with 5R55S trans issues

I would check the fluid level and condition first, if its full and no signs of a burnt odor pull the pan down and check for debris. The over temp code could be a electrical issue but the loss of forward and reverse and full of fluid will be enough to say this trans has internal issues to a...
  16. JK080

2001 Hard shifting when cold

Sounds like its low on fluid
  17. JK080

5r55s, harsh reverse and not engaged or slipping 4th

Most of the time a harsh reverse engagement with this transmission is a faulty PCM.
  18. JK080

2000 Ford Explorer O/D light blinks on freeway

I doubt its a sensor and I doubt the tire shop did anything to cause it. If it was a sensor the light would flash all the time, the fact it only flashes on the interstate tells me the problem will most likely be with the torque converter. There is a code stored and its probably something like...
  19. JK080

2005 Explorer XLT 4.6L V-8 transmission issues (no CELs)

I can't see how this overheating would affect the transmission and cause it to fail. The transmission problem you are having is a classic failure we see with this transmission, unfortunately this failure will require the transmision to be removed and basically be rebuilt. There is a component...
  20. JK080

Rebuilt Automatic Transmission Shifting Hard, Bottoming Out When Stopping, 97 Explorer LTD 4.0 V6

Hard shifts, hard downshifts and a hard reverse engagment are all signs of a control problem, most likely a bad PCM. THEY need to but a gauge on it to see where the line pressure is.
  21. JK080

5r55e no forward gears

No the little wear from the retainer wont cause it to have forward issues, I still think the problem will be with the forward clutch. I have seen the clutch material breakdown and come off due to time.
  22. JK080

03 Expo Code p0765, rough downshift and shift into reverse

The metal is not from a solenoid, it will be from inside the trans like converter or gear train componants, or it is left over from the last time the transmission failed and this debris came from the cooler. The gasket is hard to make out from the picture, gaskets dont typicaly get stuck on...
  23. JK080

The case connector is circled in red and is not listed on that picture, its held down with a 10mm bolt. Water from the AC drain drips right on top of that connector and causes corrosion. That magnet is a little concerning with the amout of metal on it.
  24. JK080

I woouldn't think the converter has anything to do with the code and the issue. I would check the case connector for corrosion and if it looks good I would replace the solenoid block.
  25. JK080

5r55e rebuild friction plate question

I dont think you have a issue with any of those differences, the clutches will be fine and can be installed in any direction, the steels should work fine too, as long as they fit in the drum and can move freely in the grooves your good. There is no need to worry about hindering fluid flow with...
Back