Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Help with a front end noise

Never had that issue before.
  2. J

hmm I like that suggestion. I did replace the rotors and pads with the same but new rotor and pads I used on my older explorer. I did use the correct part numbers and all. However just like the old ex the pads didnt fit with the metal shims that are supplied with the kit so I did what I did with...
  3. J

Sorry I thought I did describe it... long day. Its a clattering noise kinda like metal on metal or a coffee can full of metal. The sway bar links are good.
  4. J

Hello! I recently replaced the lower and upper control arms, sway bar links, shock absorber. Now there is a noise coming from the front end. It could have always been there since it was very squeaky before due to worn bushings. The shock absorbers are from my 98 explorer (the car in question is...
  5. J

Lower Control Arm Replacement

I think the bolts for the fuel tank straps are m10 or m12? Someone who knows for sure will chime in. When I did mine a while back two got stripped. My ex was a rust bucket though. Good luck!
  6. J

Lower Control Arm Replacement

Hello again! This isnt going to be a full write up as they already exist. I just wanted to throw out some of my experience I learned and couldnt find before I started this. First off if your bushing are as gone as mine were you will need new lower bolts. One was stripped the other snapped in...
  7. J

Remove/custom gauge cluster

Hello again! For those of you who have seen my posts about the auto to manual swap it was a success.... mostly! Everything works well there is a rev limit at 3k rpm i guess as a safety for the auto trans (still using auto wiring and computer). The only problem is the speedo doesnt work. I...
  8. J

Help with spedo after trans swap

Ok yea I know where the reverse switch is on the manual trans (my 98 ex has a bad connection there) I just dont know which wires are the reverse controls on the automatic wiring harness? I was going to just wiring it up separately if i have too. And yea thats where i though the spedo signal came...
  9. J

Help with spedo after trans swap

Hello, I just completed an auto to manual trans swap on an 02 explorer sport. It works great now... mostly. The speedometer and odometer does not work anymore (it did before). I was under the impression it derived the signal from the transfer case or rear axle, not the transmission? Any one...
  10. J

Putting Gen 3 Seat with Headrest in Gen 2

Hey I did something similar I swapped an 03 escape seat (headrest) into a 98 explorer. The easiest way was to use the slider mechanism from the 98 and bolt it to the 03 seat. This is that hard part, you can drill holes for bolts to bolt the two pieces together or if you have a welder just weld...
  11. J

Manual Trans Swap

Hey thanks! No problem it was a good learning experience! :p
  12. J

Manual Trans Swap

Hello, I had gotten a few requests from other threads I posted to write up a thread on my swap. I didnt intend to do a detailed swap so I do not have many pictures but I hope this helps someone! I bought an 02 explorer sport, from what i have read and what I have seen the sport is the same as a...
  13. J

Manual swap

Hey guys final update! It works! I'll do a brief thread with pics later on. I used the wiring advice from the manual transmission diary. I didn't hook up the solenoid yet and so far its working just fine. I may hook them up eventually to get the codes to go away, not sure. At the moment there is...
  14. J

AUTO TO MANUAL TRANSMISSION SWAP

Not sure about the bolts. Best I could find for my year (01) the bolts were the same so thats what I used. Not sure if there is a separate computer for the trans, im pretty sure its just the main computer. Im not replacing mine just jumping some wires in the harness.
  15. J

OH I missed that part, if you have the donor vehicle take the computer and wiring it will make your life much easier!
  16. J

Sorta kinda. To do it correctly you need to swap the computer and wiring harness or have the computer reprogrammed at a dealer for a manual program. For the time being im just wiring it up to think its in neutral and that the solenoids are still attached. Not ideal but from what I've read it...
  17. J

Hello, im almost done doing a similar swap. The trans are the same, you will need a new starter and a new starter indexing plate (get the one for the 4l ranger). Everything else is the same (except the obvious manual parts and the electronics).
  18. J

Manual swap

Can you get a rough shipping quote if that ends up not being to much i'll buy it! I'm on my way out the door to go to dc for a brewing conference for work but will be in contact when i get back home thursday night.
  19. J

Manual swap

BoominXplorer I sent you a message about the wiring. For anyone following this and curious about the wiring at first just to get it running i'll be tricking the computer to think there is still a Auto. Eventually ill be reprogramming it for a manual. But I want get it on the road since by 98 ex...
  20. J

Manual swap

Yea I will. Ill be doing something similar to a write up, though I havnt really been taking pictures so itll just be summary.
  21. J

Manual swap

Just a quick update in case Robert Johnson is still thinking about doing this? I've been moving slow. Today I got the flywheel and clutch installed. You will need a second person to undo and tighten the flywheel bolts since the engine just spins. You will need a new block plate (aka starter...
  22. J

Help with block plate!

That what I figured, the bell housing pattern is the same so the block plate should be too. I just have been having issues finding a manual one.
  23. J

Help with block plate!

Thanks for the response! It looks identical to the one IZwack posted several years ago that I was using as a reference. Ill probably end up going with the one in your link.
  24. J

Help with block plate!

Hello, I'm in the process of swapping an auto to a manual trans. I have everything except the block plate (aka starter indexing plate). Does anyone know the part number to this piece? Ill end up calling ford eventually but I find it hard to believe no one knows the part number or where to find...
  25. J

Manual swap

roscoe 0202 this wouldnt surprise me at all! The auto trans did also have one bolt whole that wasnt used. And Robert Johnson remove the ENTIRE center console. its a pain, at least the way i did it, but once its gone it give you good access.
Back