Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

rotted out front cats 97 5.0L

well, after having patched the front cats on my 00 XLS a few years ago, they are once again falling apart. this time im leaning toward buying new bolt on pipes with the cats . interestingly, autozone offers magnaflow as well as bozal magnaflow advertises their products to be 100% 409...
  2. S

1998 Explorer Rack and Pinion Won't Come Out

don't forget to keep that check valve unless you are sure your new rack comes with one.
  3. S

oil cooler leak where it mounts to block - 97 AWD Explorer

that takes place of a leaky oil cooler which will continue to leak until replaced.
  4. S

Rack & Pinion Help

if you have removed the 13mm(?) bolt from the lower part of the steering shaft, you should be able to just wiggle a pry bar under the shaft and pry it off. that rack is a mother (bleeper) to get out,
  5. S

96-01 5.0L brake booster .. why the 5.0L label ?

every interchange I use shows the 4.0L and 5.0L brake booster is the same for 96-01 explorer/mountaineer yet the 5.0L version has a "5.0L" tag on the top, anyone know if there is in fact any difference in the boosters ?
  6. S

undetermined coolant leak 97 Explorer 5.0 v8

postimage.org upload your pics, scroll down to hotlinks for forums 1 highlight and copy, paste into the reply box. to edit out tag ads do this: remove everything in front of [img and after img]
  7. S

94 Ranger 4.0 not firing right 3 injectors, keeps frying ecu

I had a similar issue on my 94 STX. it began with a bad EDIS module (im sure you've checked that) then in the underhood fuse panel (distribution box) I noticed some corroded connections , turned out the corrosion was making a connection on the underside of the distribution box (in wet...
  8. S

oil filter adapter o rings.... WHERE DO I GET THEM ??

decided to put new o rings in my oil filter adapter (99 5.0L) and i cant find them anywhere, thought about using regular O rings but im kinda leaning toward using the correct ones the first time. anyone have a source ?
  9. S

Wanted 96-01 explorer/mounty 5.0L dipstick tube

looking for a nice clean dipstick tube, my dipstick is fine but the tube is rotted. anyone ?
  10. S

Wanted Full Engine Harness 302 V8

i bought one off ebay a few years ago for something like $125
  11. S

ranger seat in explorer?

you can use a bench seat out of almost anything, but the tracks you want are for the supercab ranger. the supercab and reg cab have a different floor pan. why not do a 60/40 split ?
  12. S

white gauges for a 96 explorer 5.0

i did a search and came up empty, i know the thread is on here somewhere. anywhooo... i have a white face gauge cluster from an 01 sport, and i wanna put it in my 96 explorer V8. miles are very close so all i need to do is figure out what has to be re-pinned so it works correctly. any help...
  13. S

Wanted 4R70W front seal part # or source

id like to change out my convertor seal on my 96 explorer, playing hell finding a replacement, none of my local parts stores are worth a squirt, anyone have a source for a convertor seal for a 4R70W ?
  14. S

valve cover options for 5.0L explorer

my OEM covers are junk. i beat all the rust off the LH side today to blast it, and well there wasnt much left to blast. i have a pair of the fox mustang aluminum covers, they have the oil fill in the correct location, just may have to be "massaged" a bit, i may end up going that route, for...
  15. S

valve cover options for 5.0L explorer

i started cleaning up my stock valve covers today... that was a waste of time. sooo...... rather than even bother trying to salvage these rusty Ps O S, i thought id drop in here and ask what others are using for valve covers, first off, im using the 1.7 roller rockers, so clearance is...
  16. S

Radiator recommendations?

what wrong with the plastic/aluminum radiators ?
  17. S

cobra cam explorer 5.0L anyone tried it ?

probably should mention, i will be using the GT40P heads, i just dont know how much (if any) trouble the cobra cam would give the explorer ecm, or cause any driveability/idle issues, cant find anything on the net in reference to a cobra cam swapped into a bascially stock explorer
  18. S

cobra cam explorer 5.0L anyone tried it ?

i wanna hear the good the bad and the ugly, heres my plan, now tell me why i shouldnt do it. im using a ranger body with 96 explorer electronics, 373 gears, 4R70W trans. 1.7 roller rockers, stock explorer exhaust manifolds (at least im using the cast iron ones) im on the fence, i...
  19. S

oh man I need a new engine for my ranger and cant find one......

the 2.5 is basically a stroked 2.3L if you can find a 2.3L it should be a bolt in, just be aware of the water pump outlet, use the 2.3 style if you can. the plastic 2.5L outlet is a problem looking for a place to happen. ask around at your local yards, the 2.5L (and the 2.3L) were both...
  20. S

mystery cam ???

anyone have any idea how to ID this cam ? i was told this was a cobra cam which ive been hunting for to swap into my 96 explorer 5.0/ranger project. from what ive read, the cobra should have a "GT" stamped behind the distributor drive gear, the only stamping or ID of any kind is here, on the...
  21. S

50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............

i never thought of that, i had a similar issue with my ranger, i just replaced the pedal with an older steel one, and bent the steel to take up the slack
  22. S

Removing front driveshaft on AWD

now thats odd, i know the T-cases are different in the 96-97 vs 98-00 (at least the output flange to the front drive shaft is) ive heard that the 98-00 AWD transfer case will self destruct if the front drive shaft is removed... hmmm if not... id LOVE to get rid of the front DS in my 00 AWD for...
  23. S

Solved 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!!

i found a hot in start only circuit off one of the GEM plugs, assigned for a seat memory module, mine are the older style seats and i dont believe they have memory foam so i'll use that circuit (add to that i wont be using the memory module anyway) LOL
  24. S

Removing front driveshaft on AWD

i wont be using a front driveshaft in the AWD ranger until the snow season (if there is one this year) for $30 i scored a a pair of new E brake cables, so i dont have to keep a brick on hand
  25. S

PITA green ground bolts/ wiring help

depending on what options you elect to keep for the ranger, you may not need that "random ass" relay box
Back