Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Complete Loss of Power - All Systems

Yes, it was fixed. It turned out that the main power cable to the starter was grounding out on the frame. The cable had been rubbing for some time, and the insulation wore through. It was in an area you could only see when the car was up in the air, which I couldn't do at the time. The cable...
  2. L

@Turdle I cleaned the positive cable and put it back on yesterday. Mostly, I did that because I thought if I disconnected power, something might reset itself, and maybe I'd get lucky with the whole system. It didn't happen. There's no harm in trying the ground cable today too. I'll do that...
  3. L

I found all the empty spades in empty fuze locations (under the hood) had battery voltage. It's one continuous metal buss, so power is getting to the fuses in the engine compartment (photo in first post). However, this situation is a moving target. Here's why. When I went out to look at the...
  4. L

I checked voltage at the battery posts. The battery is just a year old. That doesn't mean a cell (or more) couldn't go bad, but it's a high-end battery, and I think it's likely good. I installed the battery myself. I did a complete scrub and clean (wire brush + baking soda solution) to the...
  5. L

I went out and checked. First, the battery voltage with the light switch off is 12.48 volts today. When I turned the headlight switch on, and checked the battery again, it was still 12.48 volts, so no change. I was puzzled with the voltage drop from 12.54 volts yesterday. I did notice that...
  6. L

Thanks for the input. No, the lights don't come on. I haven't tested the battery voltage with the light switch in the on position. I will do that. What would it tell me if the voltage is other than the 12.54 volts shown on the multimeter with the lights off? Would it mean there is a big...
  7. L

On Thursday, August 11, 2022 after a run to the beach and hardware store, my 2002 Sport Trac was parked at home and turned off for a couple of hours. Later on, I went to start the truck again. Upon turning the ignition key, some dashboard lights illuminated, but the starter did not engage. I...
  8. L

Remanufactured engine

Have you considered trying to find a local or regional remanufacturer? I've been asking around and found there is one pretty local to me (MJM Engines INC - San Diego Transmission Repair & Engine Installation) who does all their work in-house, and offers a 3-year, 100,000 mile warranty. You...
  9. L

03 Spot Trac accessories and upgrades

I bought a unit from a company named "Undercover Truck Bed Covers" in Rogersville, MO 65742. They had a dealer in my area, and that's where I ordered it. It's a very heavy duty piece. As it happened, my local dealer had one on their shop truck, and said it was about 10 years old, and still in...
  10. L

03 Spot Trac accessories and upgrades

No, there are some products still available. Some are regular Explorer or Ranger parts that will fit Sport Tracs too, but you'll have to investigate to make sure it's a fit. Three things I know about are some lift kits, bumpers and bed covers. Mine had the bed extender when I got it, but the...
  11. L

Repair Videos

Indeed. Thank you very much for making and posting the videos. Cheers,
  12. L

Sport Trac bed trailer project

Yes, this is very innovative and it looks great.
  13. L

Turning my sport trac in to an alaska adventure truck.

Great idea! There are some good examples of expedition vehicles based on the Sport Trac. There was a guy in my area that did one and toured much of Mexico and Central America with it over 3 years. I know he sold it about a year ago, so I haven't noticed him around since then. There's more...
  14. L

Seat recline mod

I'll be looking for an answer too. I didn't know this mod was possible. Maybe/maybe not, huh? Cheers,
  15. L

2002 Sport Trac Bed Extender

What was your parts source? I've had my local Ford dealer try them - discontinued. Same with Rock Auto. Where did you get them?
  16. L

2002 Sport Trac Bed Extender

You're talking about the removable pins that keep it locked in the extended position (out over the tailgate) or in the retracted position (inside the bed/tailgate), right? I ended up using a wooden dowel I had in my scrap wood collection. It fits just fine. I just got lucky. You might try...
  17. L

Bed extender for 2003 sport trac xlt

There should be rotation pins already mounted into the sides of the bed. The push pins only lock the extender in position. The photos below illustrate the locations where the bed rotation pins connect, and where the locking pins live. Has someone removed the rotation pins from your truck bed?
  18. L

Replacement hardware for bed extender?

I recently bought an '02 myself and had exactly the same problem. The swivel latch was broken on one side. I called around to see if I could find one. By the way, certain models of the F150 use the exact same bed extender. I couldn't locate one, so I elected to buy the parts through my local...
  19. L

Low or Zero Speed Shudder in Power Steering

@swshawaii Thanks for that TSB. If nothing else comes from it, it's at least a roadmap of what needs to be done to correct the problem. I'm pretty sure the build date can be determined from the VIN and the TSB breaks the repair regime out by build date, so that is excellent. There is also...
  20. L

@koda2000 @swshawaii Alright guys, I get the picture. Thanks for the additional info. I'll check my local service providers to see who can do the flush operation. I'd rather spend some money on maintenance rather than spend even more money on a big repair. Cheers,
  21. L

Thanks, I'll do a visual inspection on the fluid in the power steering pump today. It's probably the stuff that's been in since it was built. I've only had it a few months, myself. It's all-around a good truck other than this small issue. Cheers,
  22. L

I have a 2002 Sport Track 4x4 with a V6 engine. Periodically, while maneuvering in parking lots or other low speed situations, I feel a shudder in the steering wheel, and a drop in engine speed. Does anyone know what's failing here? Thanks, Lonnie
  23. L

New member '03 sport trac

Hi Sharon, I see you have some good, high-level help (koda2000), which is more than I can offer. However, I too wondered about the dimmer wheel issue and went out last night to do an experiment. The dome light and both map lights work on my 2002 Sport Trac. When I turn off all interior...
  24. L

4 wheel drive not engaging

From what you've written, I can't say what your problem actually is, but here are a couple of things I've encountered reading these forums. 1) Their a several circumstances when the 4x4 lights will flash on startup, and even at specific intervals after the vehicle is running. Here is ONE...
  25. L

Stock Recovery (Tow) Hook Location?

I noticed in one of the tow hook threads here that a member was using F150 tow hooks on an explorer. They looked pretty darn close to the ones you posted photos of in this thread, but they lacked the height to clear the plastic bumper trim on the Explorer. He just made spacers out of heavy...
Back