Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

A/C Problem

I have researched other threads on this topic, but have had no luck getting help, so I'm opening a new thread. I have no blend door problems that I know of; I have both heat and A/C available. My problem is with getting control over the where the air is distributed. Turning the control knob...
  2. R

Vent control issue - only dash/floor or defrost/floor

I have good temp control & no clicking noise. Rotating the heat/AC control makes no change in where the air comes out - which is everywhere, weakly. The silver vacuum can has been located, but it doesn't look like like those the photos. Mine points upward and appears to be attached to something...
  3. R

Climate control mode knob not working?

I'm not sure what you're actually doing to effect the repair. What wat attached to the broken piece?
  4. R

2004 Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Thanks. New tensioner on. Now it clacks while warming up. Could the new belt (Alligator) be too long?
  5. R

2004 Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Are these a known problem area for 4.0 Gen. 3 Explorers? How long should one last? Thanks.
  6. R

A/C questions

I've reviewed the a/c postings, but haven't found anything like this: 1) fan speed the same whether on A/C or MAX A/C - shouldn't it be faster on MAX? 2) While on MAX a/c, my vent thermometer says the A/C air temp is 6 deg. celsius when the fan is on 3, but goes up to 15 deg. c. when the...
  7. R

another hvac problem (2004 exp. xlt 4x4)

Had the same symptom on my A/C; it was a vacuum problem-bad actuator.
  8. R

differential noise continues....

Thanks for the tips. The ring and pinion were not replaced, but the wheel bearings and hubs were, as well as the carrier and pinion bearings and U-joints. No shimming was done. Took it back this morning and all they would do was "tighten" the pinion nut. No help. They threw up their hands and I...
  9. R

differential noise continues....

I had the whine at abt 60 mph which would decrease with letting off accelerator. I also had a deep rumble which started about 70 mi./h, but greatly reduced at 80 mi./h, and would not decrease with removal power. I had both carrier bearings and the pinion bearing replaced, watching every step of...
  10. R

Rear End Noise

My 2004 V6 (145K) has the same noise. No leakage from the diff. Had the dope changed, no help (saw no flecks in old oil, no scarring of ring and pinion, small metal fuzz on drain magnet). My last explorer ('94) developed this problem 3 times in 320K miles. Each time it was a U-joint.
  11. R

rear end?

my '04 2WD (143K) makes a growling noise when in motion. It doesn't change when turning right or left, so I'm thinking differential. No fluid leakage on driveway. What is the most likely problem and cause? Thanks!
  12. R

'04 tranny probs

my '04 V6 (flex) has been hard shifting for the last few thousand miles current 143K). No flashing O/D light, though. I took it to a tranny shop and their code reader said it was some device that had to do with changing gears which is mounted on the outside of the tranny. He replaced it as I...
  13. R

Fair price on 2004 explorer?

higher milage Bought my 2004 XLs w/141K for 4500, but I think it needs a solenoid pack.
  14. R

2004 Explorer Transmission Troubles

what is the "ebay fix"?
  15. R

Flex Fuel

That's the info I was looking for. Thanks.
  16. R

Flex Fuel

I mean problems with the 4.0 v-6 (burning gas) that wouldn't be there if it weren't flex fuel.
  17. R

Flex Fuel

My 2004 (141K) 4.0 V6 is a flex fuel. What are the problems specific to this engine? Thanks.
  18. R

2002-05 Positive feedback

Bought a 4X4 XLT w/the 4L V6 new in 1994. Drove it for 320K w/ no engine or tranny probs. MPG was 20 combined. Flushed the tranny every 60K, replaced a few wheel bearings, two pinion seals. The 4WD never failed, the engine never failed, never had the heads off. When I finally sold it, it was...
  19. R

Cooling System and other problems

Thanks for the good advice. And it was easy! I got the top off with no trouble, pulled out the tstat, and tried to put it the replacement, but it wouldn't fit. Turns out it wasn't stuck, it has separated into two pieces. I pulled out the second piece, put in the new unit, buttoned it up, and the...
  20. R

A/C Varies

Whenever I have to accelerate or climb a hill, the air output from the A/C vents drops way down. If I back off the throttle, normal air flow resumes after a few seconds. ??
  21. R

Cooling System and other problems

After driving about 2 miles from cold this morning, I heard the ding-ding-ding and saw the temp gauge at the top. After pulling onto the shoulder, I noticed the temp rapidly dropping back to its normal mid-range reading. No problems after that. After work, same thing happened. Got home with no...
Back