Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Solved Fuel pressure problem.

Yikes !! No. Not at all. I would check the injectors first. I did this FPR replacement on my 98 SOHC several years ago when parts were available. But original fuel injectors at this age. Yikes !!
  2. T

Whats up with people hating the sohc

My '98 Explorer with 4.0L SOHC was totaled with 298K miles on it. That engine was amazing. I only gave it the beans when I needed it, but when I needed it, the acceleration was amazing. Unfortunately, there was enough damage that went beyond what insurance would cover to fix. It was a very sad...
  3. T

Strong fuel smell after long highway trips.

No. The junk yard fuel lines worked great until the rig was totalled in a wreck.
  4. T

Strong fuel smell after long highway trips.

The fuel smell in my 98 4L SOHC XLT was the braided fuel lines that run from the fuel rail down to the connections to the hard lines from the fuel tank. The rubber tube inside the braided line had melted. There is a steel bracket that holds the fuel lines in place near the front of the valve...
  5. T

Dog Hair Mitigation

Two things: 1) Whenever I was out with our German Shepherds, I would brush out their coats with my fingers - they would absolutely love it. 2) Our shepherds always rode in wire crates in the back. I was always amazed at the way they could jump into the crate without hitting their head. Amazing...
  6. T

How to drain the gas tank 98 Explorer

Hey all: Thanks for the good ideas. I'll see if I can get something to work. The hose I have is 1/2" OD like J_C said, and goes in 36". But taking a look underneath, I see that it's a long way to the gas tank. Sorry Hacra, but I'm not able to part it out for anyone - I've got post-polio, so...
  7. T

How to drain the gas tank 98 Explorer

Well, I really screwed up - sustained enough damage on my 98 Explorer to total it. I'd keep it, but I have no place to store it or work on it. So, how do I get 18 gallons of gas out of the tank? I have put a hose down the filler tube to try to siphon, but the hose gets stopped before it...
  8. T

driver's door wont unlock!

Old thread but the same problem keeps happening. If the problem has not happened to you yet, just wait. It will. After reading many threads, it kind of looks like there are a few different problems, so it makes sense to figure out which problem you've got before you start spending money and...
  9. T

98 SOHC Coolant leak

Well ... that part lasted less than 4 years. This time it got really serious really quickly and I did not have time to spend on diagnosing the rather nasty coolant leak. I took it to a local shop that has done good work for me before. They found the problem was that thermostat housing. $400 for...
  10. T

Ford Remanufactured Engines

I agree with the others. As for the transmission - get it serviced by a shop that everyone trusts - ask around to find a shop that will give you the straight scoop. They should drop the pan to check for wear and give you some input as to its health. I've got 272K miles on my 98 and it's still...
  11. T

Belt length causing tensioner rattle

Here's another data point for you... I just had to replace the belt tensioner on my 98 SOHC (the old one broke). By the time I found out that my son was working on it, he had the job done with the old belt - I forgot to tell him I had a new one. Dang, but I'm one lucky old man. But we started...
  12. T

How much life can I expect the SOHC V6 too go?

It depends - on a lot of things, not just the engine - as has been mentioned. Do you know if the tranny has been replaced or rebuilt or serviced regularly? A tranny that has been serviced regularly has a much better chance of lasting longer than a tranny that has been abused (and I define...
  13. T

Tranny went on my 99 XLT, $2,000 to overhaul

I paid a great local shop $3000 to rebuild the tranny in my '98 SOHC 120,000 miles ago. A good quality rebuild job where they replace what's broken and set all of the tolerances just right is far better than a crate tranny. I get the service done regularly and still can't tell when it shifts.
  14. T

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

My sweet ride joined the 260K Miles Club yesterday and 3 miles from home the belt tensioner broke. LOL!
  15. T

4WD LEDs blinking, Parking brake LED stays on, Blend door stuck

The tranny shop solved problem with the 4WD LEDs blinking. It turned out that the transfer case wouldn't shift. They replaced the worm gear that moves the shift fork, but then they found that the transfer case shift motor was running too slow, so they swapped that out too. Of the three...
  16. T

2001 Sport 4x4 Indicator Flash

My 4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW LEDs have been blinking for a few weeks. I finally went to the tranny shop and they were able to read all of the codes. The diagnostic says that the the transfer case motor is not working. I'm not sure I believe it, but I'll have them check it out further. Of course...
  17. T

Bingo! Thanks bobflood, you nailed that one. Some brake fluid took care of that. The blend door is still stuck on Hot, but it's winter time in Oregon so I don't mind; that can wait a while. As for the 4WD HIGH and LOW LEDs blinking, I went to the shop where they rebuilt the tranny 120,000...
  18. T

Yes, when I release the Parking brake, the light continues to stay on. It seems like the brake is released, but is it possible that it's not quite all the way released? I'll try that procedure and let you know how it goes. Thanks!
  19. T

98 Explorer XLT w/ 4L SOHC. What do you think? 1 problem, 2 problems or 3 problems? First, the Parking brake LED got stuck staying on. Then a couple weeks later the 4WD LEDs started blinking 6 times every few minutes. Then another week later the heat/AC Blend door quit working. Is...
  20. T

How do you remove engine air filter assembly from a 1999 Ford Explorer Limited V8

Got mine out by pulling and wiggling on the bottom corner of the box closest to the engine first, then the bottom front, then the two side grommets were easy.
  21. T

Fan Blower Problem????

Thanks everybody! The blower quit in my 98 Explorer. At your suggestions I checked the fuses, then the relays, then tried hitting the blower and it worked for a little while, so I replaced the motor and Bingo! The new motor works great... Heater in the morning, AC in the afternoon.
  22. T

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Miles? Or kilometers? Was that an SOHC 4.0 ? What failed? If that was miles, that was totally great! Mine is at 254k miles so you give me hope for more. 3 Cheers!
  23. T

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

I posted in this thread several months ago, but now my 98 SOHC has rolled over ... 250,000 miles. Sing it Happy Birthday !!
  24. T

How to: Remove and replace door latch assembly

Yep! That's the one that broke. I could see the good one in the passenger rear door, but the spring is missing in the driver's rear door. And thank you for the pictures of the latch. And yes! It would be great to have a good source for the spring. I'll see what I can figure out without...
  25. T

How to: Remove and replace door latch assembly

It's about the thickness of a safety pin, and the hooked end was laying in the latch mechanism. I'll see if I can fish it out with a magnet and then try to use a flashlight and mirror to figure out where it belongs. And yeah, I could pop the other door panel off. Then see if I can find something...
Back