Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

96 EB Doesn't go in gear

Over the weekend started it and it ran normal, shifted fine. I don't trust it though! Any ideas from anyone ? Could the ECU be on the fritz ? How could I check ? Valve body solenoids acting up ? Thanks, Kurt
  2. K

96 EB Doesn't go in gear

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Once out of park it does not go into any gear, forward or reverse. No grinding or any weird noises. Checked fluid and level is OK, and it doesn't smell burnt. Was driving and then the engine raced and that was it. Got a warning about a month ago-...
  3. K

Transfer Case meltdown ? Help!

Sethro, please keep us posted as to what happend to your tranny, because I still don't think my transfer case was the root of all evil for my tranny. I ended up letting them put a rebuilt tcase in, and they fixed the tranny as part of the deal - it ended up being too much work/time/money to...
  4. K

Transfer Case Meltdown ? Help!

I saw the Tcase and somebody did a jim dandy of a job in there. The chain was stretched and they packed it full of clay or putty to keep the chain from clacking on the case. At first it looks like the fluid hardened, but you can touch it and mold it and its not greasy, except for the fluid...
  5. K

Sorry about the double post, the board was acting funny, now I can edit out the second one. K
  6. K

Yeah I am skeptical, they went diving in to the TCase without my approval, they were supposed to check the tranny and let me know what was going on. No four wheelin, just used it in the snow on the road a couple years ago. If the front seal went, wouldn't it have leaked all over my...
  7. K

Thanks for your reply. It's never been 4wheelin, just used it a couple times on the road during a snow storm, but that was years ago. Yeah, I am very skeptical. They jumped into the transfer case whithout calling me or getting my approval. I expected them to check out the tranny and let me...
  8. K

Transfer Case meltdown ? Help!

HI, I made a post a couple days ago about my tranny not holding in park, not being able to hold while engine braking (Loud shreiking sound while engine rpms dropped to idl), and then I found out that I also did not have reverse. The trans was rebuilt around 5K ago. Its an '96 EB VB 4x4 The...
  9. K

HI, I made a post a couple days ago about my tranny not holding in park, not being able to hold while engine braking (Loud shreiking sound while engine rpms dropped to idl), and then I found out that I also did not have reverse. The trans was rebuilt around 5K ago. Its an '96 EB VB 4x4 The...
  10. K

Transmission won't hold in park, and other problems.

Thanks for the response, no it doesn't sound good! Yeah, that was a surprise, I don't know how it just passed the state inspection! Thanks, Kurt
  11. K

Transmission won't hold in park, and other problems.

Anybody's input on this would be greatly apreciated. I have a '96 EB Explorer, V6 4spd Auto. At around 200K miles the transmission took a dump, I took it to Level 10 and they said they had to completely rebuild it, I am not surprised because when it went, it went hard, a lot of crunching and...
  12. K

Gas Cap Stuck on

Fhantazm: If you want to show me how to use the blow torch, I'll stand back and watch! :D I busted it off and replaced it. The top cracked off, then I tried getting channel locks on it, but it just rotated, stuck to the plastic part of the fill pipe. Then I busted out the middle of the...
  13. K

Gas Cap Stuck on

Doh! its Hill Road, not mountain road, right off of slyker. If you go up slyker, you past that corn silo on your right, in a little bit you would make a left onto hill. My cousin lives up there, Schooley's Mountain road is the same road that Long Valley Brew pub is on. If you come out of...
  14. K

Gas Cap Stuck on

Doug, Yeah, Schooley's is a bar, it's now called the Mountain View in, just changed owners in the fall. It's in Long Valley My cousin George lives in Califon off of Mountain road, or Mountain top road, something like that. A couple miles away from where 512 & 513 come together by the A&P...
  15. K

Gas Cap Stuck on

Hey Doug, I see your from Califon, I'm not too far away in Far Hills. You ever go up to Schooly's Mountain ? My girlfriend and I go up there for a few drinks and some KarateOke, sometimes my soon to be brother in law plays there on open mike Sundays. Yeah, if you know any local...
  16. K

Gas Cap Stuck on

ammo troop: Good idea, I was concerned about possible pieces falling in if the cap cracked. Then I can take the whole assembly out and remove the cap on my workbench. Doug: It seems to be on fine, I can feel maybe an eighth of up & down play in the cap, so it doesn't seem like it was...
  17. K

Gas Cap Stuck on

The gas cap on my '99 explorer was frozen in place. I managed to get all the ice out from around it and free it up. But it won't come off, it turns about a quarter turn and then binds. won't tighten and click either. I poured hot water over it to ensure that I got out all the ice, but to...
  18. K

'95 EB 4x4 not functional

Joel, I might have the same problem you have. I have a '96 EB. Two days ago with the first snowstorm of the season I turn on 4-Auto, and get a big crunching sound coming from up front, and the front wheels seem to be almost helping. I haven't tore into it yet to find out what is wrong...
Back