Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Erratic Radiator Fan Speed

Yikes, troubleshooting the electrical sounds daunting. There a several terminals in the connector. I've disconnected it, while running, and the fan slowed a lot. There are no codes at the moment, and I didn't have to erase any. There's no way I'm buying a $100 part, and going through the...
  2. O

Based on images I've seen of both parts, I do have the coolant temp sensor, which is heading back to Amazon. My only question now is, do I replace the clutch? It's interesting that its fluid has to warm up to function properly. Since mine is still original, it's not hard to believe this fluid...
  3. O

Damn, I think I just wasted 90 minutes and $8.85 for a thermostat. I could find no Coolant Temperature Sensor in there. If anybody can point me to its location, I'd be very much obliged. I dug into the Service Manual and found this regarding the Temperature Warning Indicator: Normal...
  4. O

Mid June in Northeast Ohio. Ambient temperature 64°... Sheesh. Anyway, that may be moot. On a cold start, the fan cycles on and "off" every 30 seconds perpetually, no matter if the EATC was on or off. After it was warmed up I didn't notice the fan running. But, on the next warm startup it...
  5. O

Well now, that makes sense. So, you would consider that behavior to be normal? Won't have my hands on it again to late this evening. Just finished installing a blend door actuator in our '04 G. Marquis. If you thank that's a pain in a 4th Gen. Explorer, it's a piece of cake compared to the...
  6. O

I leave EATC on automatic, with my side at 74° and my wife's side near 80°. It would sure surprise me if that had anything to do with the radiator fan. I've got a Motorcraft DY-1144 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor and Motorcraft MOTRT1234 Thermostat arriving Sunday thanks to Amazon Prime. I...
  7. O

I've got a service manual for this '06, 4.6L Eddie Bauer, but I'm hoping somebody else has been down this road before, and can save me some time. Occasionally, the fan radiator fan runs full speed for no reason. The first time I noticed this was on a cold start in the middle of winter. Fan...
  8. O

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

Morning JB. I was editing my previous post at the same time you were posting. I would get a quote from a transmission shop or two. That would give you an idea of how the repair would be done correctly. Also, start a new thread with parking pawl in the title.
  9. O

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

Sorry JB. If I'm hearing you correctly, you're saying that even when the interlock mechanism is fully retracted, you still can't pull it out of park. As you can see, this thread has pretty much become dedicated to the interlock issue. I wouldn't wish your repair on anyone. Good luck!
  10. O

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

Replace your "Shift Interlock Module" Worked for me.
  11. O

3rd row electric seat back won't elevate.

Good for you! The whole mechanism is unnecessarily complicated. A simple handle and latch, like the middle row seats, would be sufficient. I just saw the fifth generation third row solution the other day. Pull on a few straps in a particular order, and it's done!
  12. O

Dual Climate Control problem, passenger side blows hot while on AC

Mine acted up again this afternoon. Pulled out passenger side actuator, which was an OEM part, but only had two lower screws holding it in. I suspect it was replaced before I purchased the truck. Bought a Dorman 604-207 from Advance Auto for $27.00. Could have purchased from Amazon for $22...
  13. O

Blend door issue or?

Is any air actually coming out of the panel? If not, I guess this Part Number: 18A318A(YH-1653) would be the culprit. You could possibly run the EATC test to see if it's functioning correctly. I've yet to get that procedure to work!
  14. O

Dual Climate Control problem, passenger side blows hot while on AC

Our '06 Eddie Bauer just had the same symptom. Only hot from right A/C vents, full control from left side. Examined right actuator while changing temp from high to low. Naturally, it started working correctly. BUT, as I felt the temp change from cold to hot and back again, I did not see the...
  15. O

'06 XLT Can't Shift Out of Park

Well, two things Steven. One, where did you find a part store that stocked that circuit board? Two, I could duplicate the symptom you had, by pulling on the shifter before pressing the brake pedal. The solenoid can't overcome the tension, unless perhaps it's heavily lubed. I fooled around...
  16. O

No worries Jerry. That's exactly the symptom, and it is intermittent. I only wish all this truck's issues could be fixed as quickly, cheaply and easily!
  17. O

Fix it quickly, and cheaply for less than $20.00. It's a printed circuit board, part #9L2Z7J437B. Find it for less than $20.00 on eBay. It's located in the console right behind the interlock solenoid.
  18. O

06 Lower Ball Joint

I have 3-1/2 hours of GoPro video of the whole ordeal... And, it was an ORDEAL! I pulled the camera out of my helmet cam, and neglected to enable the internal mic, so no sound. To make a long story short, the easiest method is to pull it apart, like the videos above. The long story: Broke...
  19. O

Maintenance costs on 2006 Explorer V-8

We bought the exact same vehicle, '06, EB, 4x4, V8, four years ago with about 80K. Sounds like you mostly just replaced normal wear items for the most part. Not bad at all. Now at 105K, I've done the left front bearing, only because of speed sensor, 3rd row seat motor ghetto fix, frozen rear...
  20. O

06 Lower Ball Joint

What a nice surprise. My $24 Moog K80771 was on the door step in Ohio when I got home. Seller sent it USPS from Oregon instead of UPS, and free to boot. Astro Pneumatic Ball Joint Press should make it easily by Saturday. It's estimated to arrive via USPS tomorrow. The guys who installed our...
  21. O

06 Lower Ball Joint

Thanks for the input and suggestion. It will be at least a week before I have at it. I might take a picture or two, if I'm not too busy cursing and throwing things around. Not really looking forward to it...
  22. O

06 Lower Ball Joint

I'm also replacing the lower right ball joint on an '06 Explorer 4WD. Can that thing be removed without disassembling the entire steering assembly? I watched a video or two for an F150, and Mountaineer having it done, and it involved removing not only the caliper and frame (which I wouldn't...
  23. O

Love my Explorer, hate the white stuff, enough....

Wow, using a truck, as a truck, what a concept! I guess we got off pretty easy this year... knock wood. Still, these single digit temps are painful.
  24. O

Cleaning Leather Seats

Dawn may be a little harsh. I'd be willing to try Ivory though. I'll try Pledge when spring arrives. Not too concerned about the "brown effect", but I'm always looking for cheaper and easier, thanks.
  25. O

Jack stowage?

That little bag could be replaced by rolling the tools in a bolt of felt. The motor/ gearbox/ mechanism does make sense to sell as a unit, although $250 is steep. It also makes sense to replace extraneous parts from a boneyard. They're still good quality, cheap and plentiful...
Back