Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

How To Fix your dim radio display

Hey All, My wife's '06 V-8 XLT has intermittent lights on her HVAC panel. Sometimes you turn on the AC button and that makes the panel lights turn on. Is there something that can be done for those lights???? Thanks!
  2. 0

freshening up a 4x4 chassis w/130k

I'm trying to buy some more time for this truck b4 the wife thinks its a hunk a junk. Beside ball joint and t.r.ends there are the struts and bushings and i guess wheels bearings if bad enough would give it a worn out feeling. i went cheap on the tires to pay for a tranny service instead of the...
  3. 0

Thanks guys. Just got new tires. We're running 255/70r16 MasterCraft Courser HSX Tours. I just got new load range E tires for my '07 F-150 FX4 and didn't really notice too much difference (32" to 35"). These MasterCrafts I was told have a higher silica content to keep them softer in cold...
  4. 0

Hey All '06 xlt 4x4 4.6 w/130k. She rides a little rough. Haven't replaced any suspension components yet. Live in New England w/potholes and frost heaves. Would struts b a good place to start? Had a '92 big bronco w/200k and replaced the bushings w/poly ones and actually made it almost too...
  5. 0

HVAC Lights Won't Turn On

Hey All, '06 XLT w/6 disk, rear entertainment and sun roof. Pretty basic so no extra buttons on dash like adjustable pedals, etc. With the headlights on the HVAC control lights won't turn on until I turn on the rear defrost or turn the fan on. The vent selector dial is much darker than the...
  6. 0

06 Explorer 4.6L sputters in over-drive

so i guess i will pop off the coil packs once again and tighten the plugs to 25 ft*lbs. Amazing what a little reading will do for ya....
  7. 0

Engine Code P0430

Great Thread, Any thoughts on OEM or Aftermarket? I think the local Midas uses Walker brand. A local independent exhaust shop is pushing me to OEM cats. Thought process being, they don't want the truck to "reject" the aftermarket pieces that are non-returnable then have to buy OEMs anyways.
  8. 0

So 8 new plugs and 4 new coil packs. Let's see what we have. I torqued them down to 15 ft*lbs Used the TSB and couldn't get any of the pass side plugs out (1 thru 4). Used the Motorcraft carb cleaner and no dice. Got the car hot then let it cool down w/out the coil packs. When warm the 4...
  9. 0

will too much anti seize on the plug cause any malfunction? Using the TSB I applied it to the plug where shown. Not sure how much they want on there but my brush only applies so much (maybe too much)?
  10. 0

The local independent mechanic read the codes again and said missfires in 1,3 and 8! The dealer who just sold me a new #7 plug and coil said nothing about those....The local guy mentioned a crankshaft position sensor. It was short $ so I decided to try a new crankshaft position sensor and no...
  11. 0

Need Help removing 4.6L A/C compressor

Thank You Blue Oval, I loosened the 3 studs and two the three, the nuts came off leaving the two studs(In my mind, that was good so the compressor wouldn't just fall off). I loosened two completely and the the 3rd was the top stud that I loosened the nut just to the end of the threads. My...
  12. 0

Need Help removing 4.6L A/C compressor

Hey Guys, Have an '06 and I need to replace the crankshaft position sensor and the A/C compressor is in the way. If you disconnect the refrigeration tubes, does all the refrigerant come out or are there "check" valves on the ends of the hoses to prevent needing to recharge the system? Thanks...
  13. 0

So I found a local guy who has a Snap-On Solas hand held and got a code for a #8 misfire. I bought a set of Performance Distributors SOS coils ($300/8 coilpacks) and had them installed this past December. I swapped #8 SOS coil w/a random used stock coil pack I replace. I used conductive jelly to...
  14. 0

Thanks Bill, Just downloaded the TSB and returned from the dealer w/the carb cleaner. They were out of plugs!!! $22.99/ea. Thanks for the socket size! Will keep you guys posted...
  15. 0

What are the Ford instructions for plug removal? What do you guys use to read/reset codes? Are we into metric sockets/hex keys, etc. on this truck? What plugs would you guys recommend? Sourced from the dealer? On my '77 IH, there is not one metric bolt, on my '92 Bronco there was still...
  16. 0

Hey All! Just joined and can't believe I've found the right thread..... I have a '77 IH Scout II and the forum is the only way to get good info. I also have an '07 F-150 w/a leveling kit, 295/70r18s and a custom tuned SCT from Troyer Performance. Bought my wife an '06 exporer w/the 4.6 V8...
Back