Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

2001 Explorer Sport body mounts

I do have one question that after all the research I've done and can't find a clear answer. I have to do the bushings on mt wife's 01 sport 2 door, already looked at all the bushings and know what ones I wanna get, but I'm going to need to replace the hardware and need to know what people are...
  2. D

Torsion bar stuck in control arm

I got them both out. Used my trusty propane torch, a deep well socket, and a hammer. Took a bit of heat, but they came out. Got the truck back on all 4s and it drives like a dream.
  3. D

Bit of a stupid question but does it come out the front of the control arm or out of the back? Basically, does the whole torsion bar go through the control arm or no?
  4. D

Don't have air tools. Have a battery powered impact gun but it barely does lug nuts lol.I was talkin bout heating up the socket on the control arm that the torsion bar slides into. i have both sides soaking in PB Blast now, hopefully it comes apart in the am.
  5. D

so would it be safe it heat the control arm up before beating it out or world it muck the bar up beyond use?
  6. D

I'm replacing the lower control arms on my wife's truck. I got the drivers side off, pass side has a stuck bolt in the control arm sleve but that's getting cut out. I need help figuring out how to get the torsion bar out of the old control arm and in the new one. Is this something that needs...
  7. D

97 sport 4.0 sohc 4x4, installing a 5.0 4x4 questions & concerns

Well the wife actually really loves the truck, so we are going to be keeping it for a long time. I'm thinking instead of finding a doner truck & dealing with all that I'm prolly gonna wind up just fixing the timing chain issue & possibily going through the engine itself. Not sure what I'm going...
  8. D

97 sport 4.0 sohc 4x4, installing a 5.0 4x4 questions & concerns

This is my wife's truck. Has just short of 170xxx on it. I'm starting to hear what I believe is the rear chain rattle. I'm considering switching it to a 5.0 4x4 but have concerns about it. I know I'm going to have to shorten the rear driveshaft, switch engine wiring harnesses & pcms, am I going...
  9. D

bogging at idle with heat on

If this is being a real problem for you, go into the fuse box next to the steering wheel & pull the fuse for the air conditioner. That's what's kicking on and off causing this. Your idle air control valve sounds like it's going out. Try taking it off, its under the top engine cover on the sohc...
  10. D

my wife's 97 is having problems

Well I didn't realize there was so much to replacing the compressor. Only problem I'm having is that the clutch on my ac pump is going out & I figured it'd bee easier to change the pump as opposed to the clutch. Anyone know how difficult it is to change the clutch? I got a whole other pump off a...
  11. D

Kindred, thanks for explaining why the AC kicks on & off. I replaced the IAC, and it didn't bog down so bad but I was still tryin to figure it out. Now I can answer my wife's question about that without saying " I doono, but thats how it's supposed to work" lol. I hate having to say that. Now...
  12. D

So I cleaned it, it worked for a cpl mins then went back to what it was. The iac is now replaced (now that I had the money to get it). When I had the old one off I cleaned the ports going to the IAC and found a bit of oil in the back port. Is this normal or is there some other seal shot?
  13. D

Glad AAA has my towing bill for 100 miles, but I was wrong about the controls. It doesn't do it while on panel or floor. So I guess a pcm is my problem, where can ya get one cheep?
  14. D

wife just got home. Said it was doing it when she got out of work & it was like 40 degrees outside & its actually doing it when the control knob is in any position. I doono if that makes a difference or not, but might be helpful
  15. D

The IAC is causing my engine to do this but only with the heater on? Now is there a way that can be tested? I just looked & the parts store has it for $100 and we ain't got money to spend like that.
  16. D

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for this problem. It's a 97 explorer sport 4x4 with a 4.0 sohc & has 167xxx. Starts up fine, idles fine as long as the heat isn't on. Now when the heat is on & its idleing, for a few seconds it'll be at about 750-800rpm, and then ill hear...
Back