Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

2.25 inch t bar key's

i just happened to notice on another forum that if i go more then 2 inchs i need to adjust my front diff due to the CV joint binding. I plan on doing a spring over axle, thes key's, ofc drop sway bar, this is all for now it will get a SFA in the next year or 2, i just wanna make sure everything...
  2. M

Built 4.0 SOHC

More or less wondering if anyone on here has ever done a full performance or mild perform build on a 4.0L SOHC, i have an engine where i re-ringed it and put all new bearings in the bottem end with polish crank. But being myself and like having sleeper's i extreamly tempted to get a programer...
  3. M

shaking/ vibration when i turn the steering wheel

i remember when i had the transmissionr eplaced on my explorer, went for a r/t hit a bump and the mother ####er just went CRAZY, wheel shaking by the #### it scared me hahahahaha Just air in there minor!
  4. M

Idle surge/pulse and noise identification

TPS is responding/working properly? not a voltage drop on the low refrence or something like that? i have had 2 friends with thos EB truck and they have bin nothing but elec issue's...
  5. M

Cluster questions

I have a few bulbs burnt thats minor simple fix, i never cared much to remove cluster i still got most of them i can see my speed. But the old girls bin treating me great since i put chains in her even tho i need to do them again due to i did not intall fords updated kit.... but latly i have...
  6. M

Just to be sure - Timing SOHC camshaft ???

If its a SOHC your going to have to make sure the lobe's on the cam are set up propperly like for example #1 is on compression stroke so intake lobe just finished rolling over and exhaust is on its way over, and samething on other bank, once your sure on that make sure the to notices on the...
  7. M

98 Explorer Check Engine Light on

Well its an NTC sensor if i do recall, so as resistance goes down as temp goes up, so hook up your DOVM on resistance scale and take a hair dryer and blow it over the sensor if it doesnt change u need a sensor, im sorry i can no find the spec for the resistance of the sensor its self, but i...
  8. M

lean codes

i know my 2001 SOHC explorer had alot high fuel pressure then that, check driving fuel rpessure see if ti drops off, could be a weak fuel pump, but before going there make sure the fuel filter is clean or bin replaced recently, no collapsed lines... ive replaced alot of fuel pumps from people...
  9. M

98 Explorer Check Engine Light on

is it a 2 wire sensor or 3 wire? find out which wire is the power ground and signal, and test the circuit with a DOVM, make sure thats all good
  10. M

Coolant leak from this thing

i know on my truck u can see on the hoses stating "engine upper" and engine lower, have the valve pointing upwards and in the right direction and hook up the hoses if there marked
  11. M

Of all the times... No heat

Does the temp gauge on the truck hit operating temp? and if it does one thing u can try doing it replace the pump, then get a vaccum sorce, you can use another car if need be with a piece of SMALL hose and hook it directly to the heater control valve this is only to rule that out, i beleave one...
  12. M

Of all the times... No heat

@jimmadsen Well you can try soaking the heater core with a cleaner by taking both hoses and point them upwards and poor straight cooling system cleaner into the heater core let it soak for a few hours, and then backflush it with a garden hose just becareful the pressure you put through it. see...
  13. M

2001 4.0L SOHC rear tension replacement, paranoid version

The point behind it man it for people who dont normaly turn wrenchs can do it this way as extra insurance and not worry about it coming out of time. You are right it is not needed to do this. Fun part happens thursday when i remove the front cover and replace the guide's and tensioner on the...
  14. M

2001 4.0L SOHC rear tension replacement, paranoid version

I accully work for GM, ill rip into any GM timing set, which out a second though, but this cluster they have on thes engines kinda made me wonder, i did buy a junkyard engine i am building for fun, got the heads off, new main and rod bearings, all new timing set, going to put some lumpy ass...
  15. M

Misfire Nightmare p0301, p0306

If your guide's are broken and it jumped a tooth i would imagine you would hear that for sure. heres an example when a guide break's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMZVxEw8pM Watch till eh fire's the thing up, im not sure which guide failed but shes a noisey one. i honestly though you...
  16. M

How to: Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Now you didnt use anything to hold the cams while u replaced this tensioner?
  17. M

Front End Clunk.......like everyone else

backlash is fine, im leaning towards the rack, due to the fact it will NOT make any noise when pulling down on the frame of the truck in quick jerking motions it only seems when the r/f tire is shoved up it finds the slack in teh rack or inner tire rod ends, but when i check the front end zero...
  18. M

Front End Clunk.......like everyone else

i swear if the tranny mount is loose on my truck and ive bin chasing this noise for 2 months, im going to be ####ing pissssseeeeddddddddddd, but o well least the noise is gone
  19. M

Dude im going to Warn you RIGHT now, if you let the system run rich for to long it WILL plug you convertor on whatever side is setting the code, the only time it ever sent a rich code is incompltete combustion(which covers no spark, to much fuel, no compression ect...) just for some reason...
  20. M

well disconnect the battery and disconnect the main engine connetor, and find the pins for the injctor feed side then the ground side, check the resistance in the injectors and make sure u dont have a few bad ones, and i mean CHECK THEM ALL, might be a bad wire in there when someone probed a...
  21. M

Check your grounds on the engine and body make sure they are clean, if that doesnt help get a DVOM and start testing the circuts, checking for 12 volts, and so on, you could have gotten a bad coil, so check the resistance on the coils to make sure there within spec or they are all close to the...
  22. M

TCC questions.

Hey everyone. just a question about the 5r55e transmission going into lock up, i find mine 01 explorer it wont go into lock up till the engine is half way to O.T, and or depending on the temp outside, almost seems like the PCM is letting the transmission fluid warm up some before using the TCC...
  23. M

4.0l SOHC Crank position to avoid valve damage

Ya well this is a junkyard engine building it for my sister and i am pulling the crank and resealing everything, the headgaskets are part of the kit, so ill throw them in while im checking the main and rod bear's to make sure its a good clean engine so she doesnt have any big repair bills in the...
  24. M

Sway Bar Bushing Replacement

- 6 pack of Diet Coke - 3 Johnsonville Brats I love it hwo you added thes in there:)
  25. M

steering problem

If we all remember the recall that GM had with the cobalt's, with loss of power steering well its the eletric motor in the colum that fail's, well this is the samething but the motor is on the rack, in my eyes they should have never gone to using a motor in power steering when they fail they...
Back