Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Need advice (dead transmission)

I went to Cottman Transmissions this morning because they are the closest place and I had to drop off keys so they could get the truck. I checked last night and the truck was having the same problem in all of the gears. I tried reverse drive, 1 and 2. They guy at Cottman is going to run some...
  2. G

Need advice (dead transmission)

Earlier tonight, while I was driving home, I was crossing over the Mississippi River into St Louis. I slowed down with traffic to take my exit. When it was time to give it some gas to get going again, the truck wouldn't move. I floored it and it still wasn't moving. It was bad enough that when I...
  3. G

Auto Trans not shifting correctly from 2nd to 3rd

This is strange. Yesterday, I drove 35 miles to visit my family. While I was there, I did some driving for short distances(less than 5 miles). On my third short trip, the transmission started shifting normally, and has been ever since. I don't know what to make of this. Any ideas?
  4. G

UPDATE Just got back from Cottman Transmission and boy does by butt hurt. They would like $1700 to fix it. They said they would have to open it ($400) and find out what's wrong. There has to be a cheaper way. I've only had the vehicle for 5 months.
  5. G

I'm taking it in to the shop in about an hour to have their expert look at it. The guy I talked to said that he would only need about 10-15 minutes of my time, so that translates to about an hour. I'm not expecting to have to buy a new transmission anymore. My Explorer only has 57,000 miles...
  6. G

Thanks for the warning Mbrooks420. I'll keep that in mind if I need to get some work done on the trans. The mechanic ran two tests and couldn't find any codes, so he did a continuous memory test and found an error code. The code is PO733. The list of possible fixes coming from that code...
  7. G

I appreciate all of the responses I have recieved so far. Update: I shifted to 2 and took off and it seemed to drive fine. The speed limit here is 40 so I only tested it that far. There is a Cottman Transmission down the road from me which opens in an hour. They have a free Transcheck...
  8. G

Thanks for the response Cecil. I took it to Autozone the other day and the person I talked to said that they could only read engine codes and not transmissions codes from a blinking O/D light. Sorry I forgot to mention that in the original post. If the Autozone person was wrong, I will...
  9. G

When I put my truck in drive and take off, it shifts from first to second without any problems, but when I go from second to third, it revs up about 500 rpm(kind of like when you put the clutch in while you've still got the gas pedal pushed) then shifts into third. The only time it does that is...
  10. G

What is Omega?

Short answer, no. From the way I'm reading the manual, the only way to set off the "panic alarm," is to push the button on the fob. Can someone verify this for me?
  11. G

What is Omega?

According to the manual, you push the door lock button once to lock the doors, and a second time to verify the doors are locked by sounding the horn and flashing the lights.
  12. G

Center console question

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Now I'll have to go shopping for some booger rags. ;)
  13. G

Center console question

I've had my X for about a month now and I'm still learning new things. I noticed a hole in the front of the center console the other day. I have no idea why it's there. Here is a picture of it. The black part covering the hole is the coin tray. Anyone know what was supposed to...
  14. G

MERRY CHRISTMAS EXPLORER 4X4!!!

Merry Christmas!!
  15. G

Merry Christmas to me

No, it's a reflection of the concrete base as seen in the photo above it. You had me scared for a minute there. I almost ran out to the parking lot to check.
  16. G

Merry Christmas to me

I just purchased a 2000 XLT! My name is George, and I live in St Louis MO. Here are some pictures of my new sled:
Back