Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Gearshift Lever Question

Just had a Jasper re-man transmission installed in my 2006 XLT. I thought the gearshift release button previously had to be depressed when manually shifting from '3' to '2' or from '2' to 1'', same as shifting from 'D' to '3'. Now my transmission will manually shift from '3' to '2' or to '1'...
  2. J

Wanted Steering Wheel Cover

2006 XLT: Bought used with a steering wheel cover. It is finally showing lots of wear, so I would like to replace it. The ones I see at the auto parts stores are really wimpy as compared to the one I have. Any suggestions as to where to look for a new 'heavy duty' (meaning thick) one?
  3. J

Engine Code Question

My '06 4.0 is showing the yellow engine light. Code reader says: "02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1" "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit" "Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit" Runs just fine. What is really wrong? And what kind of price am I looking at to get the...
  4. J

Leaking Rear Light Housing

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the seals appear to be in good condition. I'll take a closer look at the housing.
  5. J

Leaking Rear Light Housing

2006 XLT: My driver's-side tail light fixture leaks water in at every rain storm. Enough of a leak that the lens housing fills so the liquid level is visible from the outside. Sometimes looks to be half full, and it does not drain out. I have to take it off the car and even then I can not really...
  6. J

Converting to auto headlights

I solve the headlight on / off question by just turning on my headlights and fog lights whenever I start my explorer, day or night, rain or shine. Gives me an extra safety margin by providing higher visibility of and for my vehicle, as well a complying with our state law regarding having...
  7. J

Wanted How to Renew My Elite Explorer Membership

Thanks to all. Rick: Message received and complied with. Thanks Again!
  8. J

Wanted How to Renew My Elite Explorer Membership

Trying to renew, but don't find the way to do that. I've also tried sending a message to Rick, with no response. Any help would be appreciated. Jerry
  9. J

Old Gas

Way cheaper and safer to take it to a recycle facility (many are free) than paying for filter replacement or repairing damage to your engine,
  10. J

'06 XLT Can't Shift Out of Park

Ornery: Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. My only question is whether that electronic module would be intermittent? In the couple of days since my original post, the shifter has worked 100% of the time. I begin to suspect that there is a switch / contact in the brake pedal or shifter...
  11. J

'06 XLT Can't Shift Out of Park

Seems like previous posts about my problem are several years old! My '06 XLT is increasingly difficult to shift out of park. Get in, start, put my foot on the brake pedal, but totally unable to move the shifter. I've tried pushing on the brake in 'different' locations but no change. So far...
  12. J

Ignition Lock Problem

Thanks for the reply. The preliminary diagnosis is that the key tumbler assembly (which is a separate part from the electrical ignition switch) is defective. Requires opening the column for removal and replacement (fairly simple). The complication is in either rekeying the replacement tumbler...
  13. J

Ignition Lock Problem

Parked my '06 XLT on Friday night. Went to start it Saturday night and the key seemed to be hard to put into the lock. Once in the lock, the key will not turn. Checked that the steering lock was in a 'neutral' position and all other items I can think of. Finally gave up. I did squirt a small...
  14. J

2006 XLT Rear View Mirror Attachment

First time mine has come off. I was on a 'mission' when I noticed it was off, and really haven't had time to look at exactly how it is supposed to clip on. I'll take a better look this coming weekend, and maybe improve how it is held on. Thanks again for your help.
  15. J

Thanks! That makes sense. I didn't think of that as the compass indicator is in the instrument cluster. Duh! Now I need find out why it came off and how to make it stay attached to the mirror bracket. Seems to just be a (too weak) plastic clip holding it.
  16. J

Noticed today that there was a somewhat streamlined 'box' (for want of a better description) hanging down from behind my interior rear view mirror. Just being supported by a small attached cable harness that goes into the mounting. I don't see any sensors, openings, etc on this unit. I was able...
  17. J

2006 4L V6 New Ignition Module: Now What?

Yeah, good luck on that. I had used the shop that replaced the engine for lots of years and was really happy with their performance and prices. It was a father / son partnership where both of them were on site, both putting hands on and closely monitoring and directing a couple of hired...
  18. J

Tech By Trade: Thank you for the suggestions. It already had a new fuel filter less than 500 miles ago. The injectors were replaced with the reman engine, and not certain, but I believe cylinders 2 & 6 are on opposite fuel rails. Also, there was no 'feeling' of a misfire. Just a sudden, smooth...
  19. J

XLT with 4235 Miles on Jasper remanufactured engine. New plugs & wiring with engine. ~ 400 miles ago, it started showing Codes P0300, P0302 & P0306, only with higher power settings on uphill segments. No obvious missing, but significant power loss. Sometimes engine icon just flashes, then goes...
  20. J

2006 Running Boards, Ride Height Questions

Just got a 'new to me' 2006 xlt. Great truck, great ride, but with a couple of differences from my (now for sale) 1995 Sport. First are the running boards: My wife & I find they are not useful as steps, and are in the way when getting in and out of the truck. How difficult is it to remove them...
  21. J

1996 Explorer Heat Problem - Blend Door Actuator Plenum

'95 SPORT HEATER PROBLEM I was glad to see this thread, although it doesn't appear to have any solutions at the moment. MY PROBLEM: My heater sometimes doesn't put out hot air. It appears that if I turn the mode switch to OFF, then turn it back to HEAT, the heater output air remains off. A/C...
  22. J

Roof rack options?

Re: I Don't Want It Black Robert: Consider powder coating your rack. I just got some 'chrome' powder from Eastwood. Haven't used it yet, but the samples I saw looked great! Really couldn't tell from chrome or polished stainless a couple of feet away. Only restriction is that you can only...
  23. J

Fuel Capacity Increase

WOW FOLKS: Thanks to all who responded! Where else can you get so much information & help from all over the world? What makes this board great. I'll explore the possibilities mentioned & let you know what I find and decide to do. Thanks Again,
  24. J

Fuel Capacity Increase

rock883: Thanks for the tip. Guess I'll have to go over to Safeway (best magazine rack in Ukiah, CA) tomorrow & pretend I'm going to buy a magazine. LOL! Anyone have experience with this? The larger fuel system that is. I assume we all have about the same supermarket as library experience...
  25. J

Overdrive or not

OD TEST Well, I tested my '95 Sport 4x4 automatic OD on the way home tonight. On level ground, with OD enabled, and speed control engaged, the tranny shifts to OD at something around 47mph. Couldn't get it to shift up any lower than about 46mph in repeated tries. Going up grade, OD...
Back