Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

P0606 when passing 3500rpm and fail safe.

Well, now it won't even turn over with the key. I pulled a code for B1213. He only has one key.
  2. D

If the ECM ends up faulty and I got one from an Explorer with the same engine and transmission and also grabbed the ignition key to go with it for PATS, would I be able to start the Mountaineer without having to have the ignition system reprogrammed for the key since the key was with the...
  3. D

So do you think the issue is with the throttle position sensor? I didn't see any problems with the crank pulley. I read the links. The second link I had already seen before. Unfortunately they never finished the thread.
  4. D

The engine also runs rough at idle but straightens out while driving. I replaced the plugs, wires, fan clutch, and also the crank and cam sensors because I kept getting codes for them. The only code I get now is the P0606 if I go over 3500 RPM. I read that there is an ECM update to correct the...
  5. D

I'm working on a 2004 Mountaineer that has the 4.0sohc v6. When you pass 3500 rpms the engine goes into fail safe. I connected my analyzer to it and monitored the wheel sensors because I read that one of them when faulty could cause the engine to go into fail safe. They are all working fine. If...
  6. D

Defroster Door shaft broken, Need help getting to Pleunm Chamber

FordFool2, I sent you a PM in regards to the instructions for dash removal.
  7. D

"F-40 Rocker Arm Kit Price Update

Thanks for the title update.
  8. D

Unfortunately I already ordered the kit earlier the same day I started this tread.
  9. D

idling issues running out of ideas!

It sounds like the engine temp sensor is faulty or intermittent causing the ECU to think the engine is colder than what it is and enriching the fuel mixture similar to a carbureted engine with the choke stuck on. If the sensor is faulty then the engine will run normal when cold with the extra...
  10. D

I realize there are other companies to purchase push rods from. I was just letting everyone know the update to the kit since it wasn't mentioned on their site. I also found out that they do indeed rebuild the rocker arm assemblies. I guess I should have said "F-40 Rocker Arm Kit Price Update"...
  11. D

Our 1995 Explorer V6 is currently at 244K miles and it has the valve train rattle. I called Delta Camshaft to see about their F-40 kit and found that they no longer supply the pushrods with the kit. As a result, the price is down to around $132. The core charge on the other hand has gone up to...
  12. D

rattle noise durring acceleration?

Does this problem with the rocker rattle also apply to the 1995 and up Explorers with the 4.0 OHV engine or did Ford update the rockers? Matt
  13. D

Trying to decide wether to rebuild top end or replace engine.

The 1995 Explorer that we have has had a top end rattle when accelerating and sometimes at idle. It has 244k on it and it appears to be leaking coolant on both sides of the engine between the heads and block. It has had this problem for as long as we have had it and this was back in 2007. I...
  14. D

driver side window problem

OK thanks. So I need to make sure to buy the 3M version of the yellow weatherstripping adhesive and silicone spray. I thought I read somewhere that using silicone spray would shorten the life of rubber.
  15. D

driver side window problem

What type of glue did you use to re-attach the u-bracket to the window? Is it still holding good? Matt
  16. D

Friend's 1999 Explorer sport shuts off every two blocks.

I found out tonight that shortly after they left, the heater control valve split and it lost coolant. They were able to get another valve from one of the auto parts stores for around $20, they swapped it in, topped off the coolant and were back on the road. She said that before I fixed it, and...
  17. D

They needed it on the road ASAP so I did what I could to get it there and they were not up for waiting on the part to ship.
  18. D

I gave them that choice to either go with this or to go ahead and swap out the unit for $240 and they chose to go with the zip tie mod. I did look into the "zip tie vs. gas" option and found that if they are nylon then they will be safe to use as long as the ethanol concentrations do not get to...
  19. D

Well, I found the problem. After dropping the tank and pulling the fuel pump assembly, I found that the pressure regulator had popped out on one side causing most of the fuel to dump right back into the tank. What happened is the plastic collar had broken on one side where the metal clip slides...
  20. D

Ok here is what I have found. The fuel filter had just been replaced and the fuel pump assembly had been replaced over 1-1/2 years ago. The engine was over a gallon low on coolant. After I put coolant back in it, it didn't shut off anymore but still has the hard start issue. I connected a fuel...
  21. D

I'm getting ready to look at a friend's 1999 Explorer sport with the 4.0l 6. He says that while driving, it shuts off every two blocks. He said that he replaced the MAF sensor which didn't fix it. I need some pointers as to what to look for when I get there. Do you think it could be the ignition...
  22. D

2001 Job 1 Sport Trac fuses and relays

Is there an electrical diagram for the auxillary relay box on the passenger side? I'm working on a 2001 Explorer Sport and it seems that the Sport Trac manual matches exactly to it.
  23. D

Question about a transfer case in a 1995 Explorer 4.0.

I noticed while I was underneath replacing the drive gear for the speedometer that when I turn the rear drive shaft, the front drive shaft also turns. I thought that when in 2WD the transfer case would be disengaged internally from the front drive. Is this normal when in 2WD? Matt
  24. D

Removing speedometer drive gear from output shaft on a 1995 Explorer 4wd.

For future reference for anyone else doing this on a 1995 Explorer. The drive gear for the speedometer sensor is removed simply by disconnecting the rear drive shaft, unbolting the rear transfer case output yoke with a 30MM socket, removing the seal, and sliding the drive gear out. you tighten...
  25. D

Removing speedometer drive gear from output shaft on a 1995 Explorer 4wd.

I know that the transmission changed in '96 I believe but not sure if the transfer case stayed the same. Did you have to change the drive gear on the output shaft also? If so then did you have to remove the tailshaft from the transfer case instead?
Back