Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Alternator, Voltage Regulator, Brushes?? Pulsating voltage, lights, etc...

Ya one of those slip rings looked worn completely through. Sounds like you'll be fine with the new alternator.
  2. F

Non-cosmetic differences between 1997 and 2000 explorer?

97 doesn't have PATS while 2000 does but that is in your favor. Check the inertia switch by the passenger footwell?
  3. F

Hose Clamps for Air Intake/Throttle Body - 1997 Mountaineer

Self service junkyard like Pick N Pull would be the easiest and likely the cheapest. Alternatively, you can get a regular large full banded screw type hose clamp and use a dremel to remove the bands where the raised parts go. That's what I am sporting on mine after a quickie lube place lost my...
  4. F

1999 4.0 OHV dipstick tube oring

On my 1999 4.0 OHV, I've got an oil leak on the drivers side coming down from the middle (front to back) of the engine. I am suspicious that it is the dipstick tube oring that seals to the engine block since I've taken the tube out three times for valve cover work, but on reinsert never replaced...
  5. F

1997 Ford Explorer - Left had side Control Arm

If you get replacement adjustable eccentric cam bolts, you can cut the nonadjustable original out with a hacksaw. The adjustable ones are easier to sneak in there since they aren't one piece and will help fine tune your alignment.
  6. F

Mice chewed on vacuum lines

I've had good luck with silicone hose. Replaced my plastic lines long ago.
  7. F

Airbag warning light

I know this is an old thread but it helped me and I wanted to add another datapoint. I have a 1999 Explorer sport and was getting the 37 airbag code. Cleaning the contacts under the passenger seat didn't fix things, and neither did switching the dongles between driver and passenger. I figured...
  8. F

Door unlocks automatically issue ****solved****

The locks are all controlled by relays located in a box in the rear on the drivers side (above the jack). I had one of the relays fail so that it would trip intermittently. All that switching made it the warmest one so easy to spot.
  9. F

Low idle, been chasing for years!

The ground strap is on the back of the head (drivers side) and is connected to the firewall. You said the head had been replaced. Maybe it wasn't reconnected properly. By wires I meant plug wires. But sounds like you've swapped those.
  10. F

Low idle, been chasing for years!

IAC/MAF/wires would be the likely suspects. More (less likely) ideas: Check that the alternator is putting out 13+ volts at idle. Maybe the voltage regulator or brushes are going out on it. Also check the ground strap at the back of the engine. That completes the circuit for the spark plugs...
  11. F

Noticed my driver side wheel hub starting to wobble, Rockauto only shows for 4x4 and NOT for 2WD. Are they the same part?

2 wheel drive front have pairs of old school tapered bearings that ride in the rotor. Best bet is to buy new rotors (they usually have the races already pressed in), the tapered bearing sets, and some moly grease. Easy to replace, the hardest part is getting the preload right on the axle nut...
  12. F

Replacing just the boots on ball joints

After having 3 Moog tie rod boots rip (my best guess is they freeze to the dust shield in winter and tear), I kept the ball joints but replaced the boots with Energy Suspension urethane boots. As was said previously, the Moog boots are crimped on to the ball joint. You have to lever off the...
  13. F

Rear Window Hinge issues

Yup, still easy to find at the junkyard. Seems like folks either use the hatch glass all the time or never, so plenty of good ones out there.
  14. F

Horn and locks have a mind of their own

No idea on the horn, but I had my driver lock going on and off randomly a few years ago. It turned out to be a broken relay in the box on the rear driver side near the jack stuff. There are about four(?) relays in there if I remember and they control all the power door lock logic. In my case...
  15. F

What is the screen panel on the P.S. of the cargo area?

You'll need to remove the passenger rear interior panel. The tabs on that speaker screen can only be removed from the inside. The speaker is mounted with a bolt on the back of the subwoofer box, so you need to take out the subwoofer box to swap out the speaker anyway. The seatbelt shoulder...
  16. F

2000 Monty, new snow tires today, bad bump steer! Why?

Air in power steering lines. Go to a big parking lot and do 10 or so figure eights, lock to lock. That should purge the air out and no more shakes. Really easy to get air in there if you move the wheels at all with the engine off.
  17. F

Moving again; camshaft synchronizer chirping in cold: Monitoring failure?

OP has the V6 OHV With the sensor top off, here's what you'll see looking down from the back of where the coil pack would be. Note that the flag and cam sync orientation are exactly the same, old versus new. I use the hold down bolt for reference. It is worth noting that tightening the hold...
  18. F

Moving again; camshaft synchronizer chirping in cold: Monitoring failure?

The problem is that the cam sync drives the oil pump. So, while the engine will run without the cam sync, it won't run without an oil pump. If the cam sync fails and freezes up, your engine is toast. A bit of oil in the top will buy you time and lets you get familiar with the 5.5 mm cover bolts...
  19. F

Flywheel to block spacing - replacement engine trouble!

All the ECU sees is the spinning flag relative to the sensor. You could get it right with a different angle than the one shown in 410s, but not if you are using the alignment tool and following the Ford workshop manual, TDC, etc. Someone else has been in there?
  20. F

Dreaded P0174. I've checked everything...what could it be?

Strange that it is only on bank2 though if it was a fuel issue. Maybe an exhaust leak is fooling that bank's O2 sensor?
  21. F

Windshield Seam Rust

I'd be super interested in responses wrt/the second part of the OP's question: windshield rust repair. I've read a bunch of different and somewhat conflicting opinions 1) Grind the rust back to bare metal and then apply auto glass primer on top, like 410 mentioned. This makes sense from a...
  22. F

Windshield Seam Rust

I replaced my 1999 Explorer Sport windshield with a Ford OEM windshield I pulled from PickNPull. The first thing to do is get rid of the rubber. If it is original, the gasket has an aluminum liner which makes it much more difficult to deal with than any other car. Use a utility knife to cut the...
  23. F

Just picked up a beaut, have some questions.

The M5OD manual transmission is from Mazda. There are different versions and flywheels if you have a OHV versus a SOHC engine. As others have said, first you should check the fluid level. The rubber plugs at the top of the transmission commonly leak. I use Valvoline Dex/Merc as Mercon V was...
  24. F

4.0 pushrod coolant leak

For some early OHV years, the lower intake had a coolant crossover at the rear as well as the front. Thats why the stock gasket is sealed at the rear but the aftermarket is open. If you have a newer engine with no rear crossover, the aftermarket open ports would just dead end into the aluminum...
  25. F

Camshaft pos sens? No code but intermittent squeal from rear of engine.

I was able to change mine out just by removing the coil pack. After that you can run a camera app and place your cell phone on top of the back of the upper intake manifold. The display will let you look down the back of the engine and see what you are working on. No need to remove the hood. A...
Back