Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Transmission Fluid Change?

Hi Peter, Good suggestion to Crystal to get the typo fixed. Apparently my dealer is confused by it too :) They recommended changing the transmission fluid at 30k when they changed the engine oil. BTW, nice looking dogs in your avatar. Got a 1.5 yr old tri-color collie myself. -Bill
  2. B

On p.430 of my owners manual (January 2011, third printing), the table says to change automatic transmission fluid and filter every 150k miles. But the "example #1" directly above the table (describing a possible scenario) says "the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message comes on at 28,751 miles; perform...
  3. B

Thanks. Now for my really dumb question -- what IS the service interval for transmission fluid change that the Owner's guide recommends?? I had looked for that information and couldn't find it in my owners manual. What page is it on?
  4. B

Thanks, Peter. I'll chalk that up to a poorly written owner's manual. But the dealer (not referencing the owners manual) also recommended transmission fluid change at 30k miles. Does this make sense?
  5. B

2011 XLT AWD owner's manual (p.430) says to change the automatic transmission fluid & filter every 150k miles. But the manual (same page) also gives "example 1" where it references changing the fluid at 30k miles. The dealer quoted ~ $200 to change the fluid. => has anyone else been told to...
  6. B

whistling noise after vehicle is turned off

To close the story, the dealer replaced the shifter and things have been fine ever since.
  7. B

PRNDM light staying on

The dealer replaced the gear shift lever...and now all is well. Note to Keithd: the problem was intermittent, but I found that if I left the selector in PARK and toggled the release button on the backside of the shift lever, I could often duplicate the problem.
  8. B

The dealer hasn't figured it out yet. But more oddly, we noticed that when you put the shifter into Park, the red box isn't lighting up around "P". If you toggle or click the shifter lock mechanism a few times, the red box will light up. If the red box is lit when the vehicle is turned off...
  9. B

PRNDM light staying on

'11 XLT -- After exiting the vehicle, letting all the various lights and screens "time out" and shut off, the PRNDM shift-position indicator light in the speedometer is staying on (indefinitely). Also noticed that the red highlighted gear position isn't lighting. If you fiddle with the shifter...
  10. B

'11 XLT is making a high-pitched whistling noise AFTER it's turned off. The noise is there for an hour or longer after turning off the engine. The dealer says it's normal (!?) -- and that it's the Transmission Control unit. Sounds odd to me; is anyone else experiencing this?
Back