Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

TORQUE MONSTER Headers GROUP BUY

Are there still people waiting for their orders? :eek:
  2. R

good remote starter recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good remote starter system. Two way would be nice but isn't necessary. I've installed three different ones in vehicles over the years and they never seem to hold up. I don't need any gimmicks, but I would like the fob to replace the stock fob so I don't need to carry two...
  3. R

Fail safe thermostat=poop

I always used to use failsafe t-stats, but I found I always hod to replace them after a year or two. They never seemed to last me long. I went back to quality standard t-stats about 5 years ago and haven't had to replace one since. All my failsafe t-stats seems to go bad in the winter for some...
  4. R

Differential Leaking

The back driver's side bolt is easy, and the front driver's side bolt isn't all that bad. The real problem is you can't see it when trying to finagle it around. There's enough room to get it in and out when you get it at the correct angle. The trick is to remember at which angle you took it out...
  5. R

Rear end vibration on highway

Why not? :confused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Nunm3Sbzo
  6. R

Lost all keys to 1996 Explorer

I believe the PATS bypass needs to see your key at least once so it knows what signal to send to your PATS receiver. Several bypassers mention the ability to be self learning
  7. R

Marvels Mystery in 5.0L Crankcase?!

I helped a friend unstick a sticky lifter about two weeks ago in an old truck with a quart of ATF. Worked like a charm. :)
  8. R

Where did you get the new ones? It might be a good idea to tell them you think the new tires are out of balance and you want them checked. I know when I bought new tires I got life time rotation and balance. Did you get something similar?
  9. R

oxygen sensors may be bad, need opinions

How many miles are on the engine? When was the last time the O2 sensors were replaced? It'd probably be a good idea just to replace them anyway unless they are fairly new.
  10. R

What causes speedo/tach needles to return to 0

They are either stepping motors or eddy current meters. If they are stepping motors then there won't be a spring and the problem is there is probably something causing the needle to bind... in which cause you need to open up the panel and take a look. If the gauges are calibrated eddy current...
  11. R

You'll have to pull it apart again to get to the spring if that's the problem.
  12. R

Did the vibration exist before replacing the tires?
  13. R

I would guess a hair spring. Maybe the back of the gauge is too tight now.
  14. R

If it was one of those items I would expect the vibration to change depending on the quality of the road. Do you have a good and bad road to test at 60 MPH?
  15. R

Yes, the only way I know to check u-joints is to look for play in all three axes and in the rotation. That really should be done with minimal load on the joints so you can check it by hand. The joints should be tight. There was another user who had a vibration that was resolved by replacing his...
  16. R

Need another quick fix/tip

So the solution was hit it with a bigger hammer. :D
  17. R

Low speed Vibration

Thanks for the follow up! I'm glad that fixed your problem.
  18. R

That sounds more like the neutral safety switch is going bad.
  19. R

I just used a flash light and pulled the plastic as far away as possible to read my code. I didn't have a mirror that fit. :D
  20. R

R1dd1ck's right. Tap the solenoid/starter with a hammer if all you get is clicking. The starter might be on a dead spot or the solenoid might be dying and the vibrations from hitting it with a hammer will often do the trick to get the thing starting again. I've used this trick several times...
  21. R

HELP! Shop time for suspension work?

Most shops seem to rip you off by using some book that gives them an over estimate of how much time a job takes. I just replaced all my front control arms, tie rods, and had the t-bars out while doing it for the first time. I work slow and the whole job probably took 5 or 6 hours of actual work...
  22. R

96 Explorer Limited wont start

Have you tried replacing the ignition switch? I think there are two wires that are hot in start. You might only have one that's working. Have you checked all the fuses for continuity?
  23. R

Easy way to check the wheel bearings is to jack up the wheel and push try to move the wheel side to side and up and down. If it moves at all the wheel bearings are shot. Sounds like you only need to check the rear, but if you decide to check the front it can be a little more difficult to check...
  24. R

This might be an option if you get a new ignition key with PATS and a lock cylinder: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/545169-how-to-program-a-replacement-pats-key.html
  25. R

Maybe he'll remember where the keys are when he looks at them with his memory. :D
Back