Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Rough Ride with the A/C on

Small issue I am having with my Explorer and you guys have always been amazing in terms of solutions. Driving to work this morning with the A/C on the truck started acting funny. Sluggish, slow to accelerate, even shuddering at times. I had this happen before (in a rental truck), and after...
  2. K

Tire problem

Thanks for the quick replies guys. To respond to some of what you guys mentioned: That tire is a Continental ContiTrac. It was the kind on there when I bought the truck in 2003 and I have just stuck with it each time I purchased new tires. Obviously my fronts were in need of replacement...
  3. K

Tire problem

Someone here always seems to have the answer...so I thought I would give it a shot. Assuming it worked, attached are two pictures of the tire I pulled off my Explorer this morning (right front tire). Besides my tread being low and the tire needing replacement anyway, I somehow flat spotted...
  4. K

A few code questions...

thanks... figured the changing of the wires was a given...but wondering what we might have to do or what we might be getting ourselves into in terms of the EGR valve and related items.
  5. K

A few code questions...

After putting some work into the beast over the weekend, I seem to still be having some code issues that I was hoping the experts here might be able to advise me on. Don't know the exact numbers so please bear with me. 301/306 - Saying it is detecting misfires on Cylinders 1&6. With short...
  6. K

HELP...Oil found in the intake??

Would u mind describing "blow by" in more detail? I picked up the stuff to clean my filter today (K&N) but don't want to take the time to do that before we get things fixed. thanks
  7. K

HELP...Oil found in the intake??

My friend and I discovered a slight issue with my 97 Explorer when we opened the hood today. It's been running kinda choppy lately...and while we haven't ruled out changing a few items like the MAF sensor, etc...an issue with oil came about. When we opened up the air filter to have a look at...
  8. K

Got a P0153 code...what's my next step?

My check engine light came on yesterday and upon hooking up to the computer it showed me a P0153 code...or perhaps more to the point: P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1) Does anyone have some experience with this one? Seems that everything I am finding on the net...
  9. K

Low hum coming from my 97 Explorer

Wow...not only a hint as to what it might be but a video to go with it. I'm usually hearing it from inside the car, but I would say that pretty much hits it right on the head. That should be something I can attack first thing in the morning.
  10. K

Low hum coming from my 97 Explorer

Thought I would check with the crew here about a small issue I'm having with my Explorer. People here nailed the problem I had with the transfer case while I was on vacation, so hopefully this 'search' proves just as fruitful. Lately on start up there has been a low humming noise coming...
  11. K

Emergency vacation help!!!

je5 - thanks. They gave me 90 days...although if something went wrong in that time frame I'm sure it would take an act of Congress to get Aamco to pony up the dough to pay for a new one.
  12. K

Stuff happens I suppose...just a real kick in the teeth when it happens well outside the friendly confines of your hometown.
  13. K

Thanks to all who replied. As it turns out the pump inside the transfer case broke, and that pretty much shot everything to hell along with it. Aamco replaced it for me, and the drive home to Ohio was incident free, although now I am totally paranoid of every little tick, bump, and noise I hear...
  14. K

Hopefully someone sees this in time for me to get some help before the situation becomes worse. Driving from Ohio to Virginia today (on our way to the Outer Banks) I had a somewhat serious issue with my Explorer ('97 XLT). Going up, down, and around the mighty hills of West Virginia I had...
  15. K

Strange squealing noise coming from right rear...

A strange, and at this point unexplainable squealing noise has developed on my '97 XLT. My friend and I are in agreement that it is coming from the right rear, but when we took the wheel off we found that nothing appeared to be out of order. Although we didn't do a very close inspection of the...
  16. K

new paint rules....

Well I gave it a good washing yesterday. If anyone hasn't used it yet, I suggest giving the new Mr.Clean Auto-Dry washing system. That along with a good cleaning sponge and it looked great. Then my friend and I went at it with MacGuires 3-step (although I didn't use the paint cleaner, step...
  17. K

A/C problem

Well I put the 14oz can of r-134 in and it got nice and icy cool on max...but then 2 days later it was much more mild again. Put half of a smaller can in (that's all it would take) and again it got nice and cold, but then the next day didn't seem to be working with the same ice power it was the...
  18. K

new paint rules....

well so far so good. Washed it myself last week, it took all of about 2 hours to get dirty in the rain and what not, and then took it thru the drive thru power wash at the gas station and all appears to be well. Still one question remains if anyone has a moment to field it. Later this week I...
  19. K

60+ shakes....

well as it turns out, my drive shaft was bent. I don't recall getting into any action with my car significant enough to do damage to it, so I am guessing it was a result of something done by the previous owner. When I took it to the local shop and they tested it, the ends were within the proper...
  20. K

new paint rules....

so even using the 3-step, which of course begins with a rubbing compound, can be done after 30 days providing I give the painted fender a gentle rather than intense wash job? I just want to get it all done since it has been sooooooooo long and it will be parked 300 yards from the ocean when I go...
  21. K

new paint rules....

Thanks for the info all...one more quick question Does the 30 day rule apply to washing, or washing and waxing? Since this was taken care of "off the ticket" (although the part was purchased from and painted at a local Ford dealer) I have not been able to follow up with any of the repair...
  22. K

new paint rules....

After 5+ long months of waiting for the schmuck who backed into my 97 XLT to get the repair work done, I finally have a brand spankin new fender. Still needs the accent stripe put on, but at least we've finally progressed in the right direction and I can pretty much forget about the guy...
  23. K

60+ shakes....

I've seen this chewed over many times, but maybe I am not car savy enough to pick out what I needed, or maybe it wasn't there. Got the typical shakes on a 1997 XLT. Last weekend on a road trip they really seemed to come and go, without a lot of rhyme or reason, even on what looked like pretty...
  24. K

A/C problem

Having an issue with my A/C and was hoping someone might be able to lend some advice as to what needs fixed, replaced, etc. The A/C is currently blowing out hot air. Hooked a pressure gauge up to it per the directions of the kit, and the needle only got as high as the blue range, indication...
  25. K

Front fender repair/replacement

when I had to replace my driver's side mirror I couldn't find any Explorers at the local parts yards, and while that could have changed by now, I am not very confident that has changed, or at least the fender I need would be in suspect shape at best. I'll start with the estimate process tomorrow...
Back