Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Custom Rear Hitch Mounted Tire carrier 91 Explorer

Hey guys, some of you may have seen my new bumper I built and posted about a month or two ago, and I have since then made an addition, a swing down tire carrier that bolts into the 2" reciever built into the bumper. I have limited photos because my old phone got a bit fried when it sat in a...
  2. B

mountaineer alternator on a 91 explorer..

Hey guys, so i bought this 130 amp alternator a year ago from a junk yard to put on my 91 but never did. it came out of a v6 mountaineer, is bolts on the same but the alternator on my 91 has an extra, little plug on it with 2 wires, the newer one does not have this. My alternator died this...
  3. B

bulging brake lines

Alright so I probably already know the answer to this, but I noticed my front brake line was frigged up today. The truck brakes fine, but there is a soft brake line between the frame and front driver side wheel, this line has a much larger diameter soft line on it, and that part has a bulge and...
  4. B

Tractor front tow hitch build

So to add another non explorer thread to this subforum, I built a front receiver hitch for a Kabota tractor a while ago for a friend. Well sorta built, more "modified". I started with a rear tow hitch off of an 80s ram truck, because we had it laying around and I didn't feel like building the...
  5. B

Custom 4 Wheeler Plow Project

Alright so I have yet another school metal shop project. A science teacher at school has tasked me with taking his ATV and a cheap plow and sticking them together. This seems pretty easy but with new shop teacher trying to intervene and change my plans on it, and limited class time, it turned...
  6. B

custom tailgate

So I bought this 98 ranger ext cab 4wd to replace the explorer for daily driver duties, and it needs some work. The tailgate is basically beyond repair, and I figure, if it needs to be replaced, I may as well build something custom instead of buying another from the junkyard or something (around...
  7. B

Rust to Riches, Blue's 98 Ranger

So I finally said it is time to buy. The explorer (whole story here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...06#post3122306 ) is on its way out, of the DD duty. She just needs too much to be worth while economically for me, with a bad combo of mechanical and body rust issues. So, i went out...
  8. B

Not sure if I should buy this ranger.. thoughts?

So i looked at a ranger tonight to replace my explorer, it is a 98 3.0 5spd, 4x4 (real 4x4 not the auto crap) with manual hubs, total stripped down model, supercab, runs like a top but has 244k miles. It has rust, needs new lower half of the rad support, some work on the floor (all solid but...
  9. B

Are these the right Radius arm bushings?

Hey guys, so im halfway through tearing apart my radius arm bushings and bracket to replace them. I bought cheapish bushings from motorsupply and they dont look right to me. The bushings themselves look much thicker/longer than the ones on the truck, and im not sure if the large nut on the ends...
  10. B

Speedo showing way too fast

Hey guys, So this morning I'm driving to school and look down at my speedometer. Now I know what RPMs I run at certain speeds. I was going down a road that is way too rough to 65mph travel, and the speedo read 75mph, RPMs at about 2700 which is normally about 58ish. It did not feel like 75...
  11. B

constant vs variable rate coil springs?

Hey, im looking at replacing the coil springs on my 91, mine are sagged out quite a bit and only offer about half an inch of up travel before they hit the bumpstops now. My question is, for 95% on road, street driving, lots of bumpy dirt and tar roads but also high speed road curves (55 zones...
  12. B

Custom 1st Gen Grill

So, i figured this as the best forum for this since its a non offroady exterior accessory. Its small expanded steel with 3/4" flat bar around it, mounts to the top stock screw clips and lower bump stops for stock grill. 4x4 emblem is from an 86ish f150. pics! very difficult to get that...
  13. B

How to dull a glasspack?

Okay so this may sound dumb as glasspacks are made to make exhaust louder and lower. I recently installed one but it doesnt line up with the rest of my exhaust, as the muffler's inlet and outlet werent lined up, so right now its just glasspack and nothing after. It sounds good but its way too...
  14. B

custom brush guard and roof basket

I already posted about both of these in my registry but i thought i would do a small post here to make it easier for people to find when they are looking for ideas, i found this subforum to be very helpful in designing them. brush guard: 3/16" plate for the sides, some thick steel tubing (dont...
  15. B

door wont open from either side..

hey guys, i did something stupid and i need help haha, my outer rear driver door handle broke a while ago, it feels like the door is locked, i was able to open the door by reaching behind the driver seat and pulling the interior handle. today, i had my dad out trying to locate a pop noise in...
  16. B

door handle broken (bear with me)

I know this has been covered before somewhere, but i cant find it anywherem ir one that is different but close enough. So, anyhow, i cant open the read driovers door from the outside, i can from the inside, and i think the lock mechanism works. It feels like the door is locked though when i...
  17. B

Odd shift points with A4LD

Hey guys, i have been wpnderign for a while abotu my shift points on my truck... it seems normal other than 1-2 and 2-(i think)3. Okay, so shift into drive, give it some gas, shifts from first into second at 15mph at 1500ish RPM. What seems odd, is that i can feel it shift into second at 15...
  18. B

MAG-LITE mounting pictures!

Hey guys, i was just curious of where and how everyone mounts flashlights/maglights/etc in their truck, and picture threads are always fun haha. i got a maglite a few days ago but it doesnt fit in cengter console or glove box so i was thinking about mounting it on the front floor hump, not...
  19. B

Any way to make this radio work in my truck?

Okay, i have a 91 explorer, jbl audio system, and the previous owners installed a security system which fried and somehow took the radio with it. I have a 87 f150, 2 speakers, head unit looks very similar. i dont want an aftermarket head unit because them i am pretty sure i have to rewire like...
  20. B

Cheap customization - paint?

Hey guys, i have been itching to do something to make my explorer stand out a little bit more (besides the fact that 1st gens are very rare around here) and have been thinking about easy paint mods, very common on here, not so much in general, since i figure only a small amount of people with...
  21. B

Broken EEC box?

Hey guys, i have been wondering about this thing since i bought the truck.. That little black plastic box (or two boxes stacked rather.) on the left of the airbox is broken on mine, truck runs fine, but the bottom box has broken off of the mounts so it just flops around underneath the top box...
  22. B

How To: 1st Gen Center Console Armrest Bracket Repair!

Hey guys, I have the infamous broken center console hinge/bracket, It was broken since before I got it, so I figured I would fix it instead of leaning on the very low console cover to slide in. I fixed it to where I can use it and not worry about it, and it looks a lot better than a broken piece...
  23. B

using regular speakers in an explorer?

This is probably a dumb question, but if you remove the speakers from a mid-high end indoor sterio/cd player/radio, would they work in a car? I would probably not do this but i know some of my family's vehicles have awful sound quality on their car speakers, and i love how my little old RCA...
  24. B

Odd steering wheel clicking...

Hey guys, My explorer has this odd little thing where when you have the blinkers on, they click quietly like normal, btu when you start to turn the wheel tightly to go around a corner or back into the road, something clicks much louder along with the wheel turning, i dont think its the regular...
  25. B

Installing Windshield Visor

Hey, I just had a thought when i went outside and noticed our old f150 sitting in the lawn across the road. Its a '87 F150 Lariat, which does not run, has been sitting, and was only a farm beater anyway. I had this idea to take the windshield visor (which apparently is a somewhat uncommon...
Back