Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Number4

Metal on metal sound behind drvrs dash

Update: the noise is from the engine bay. If I press down on the master cylinder the sound can’t be made. (I can make the sound by hitting the tire.) If I lift up on the master cylinder, the sound just changes. Pressing on the metal brake lines changes but doesn’t prevent the sound. The...
  2. Number4

Rear Spindle Assembly

Does anyone have experience with this brand? My vehicle is approaching 300k miles and I’m not interested in putting premium products on it. However, I don’t want something’s that’s just going to fail in 6 months. Is there a brand you’ve used that has lasted?
  3. Number4

Solved 2020 + Explorer Aviator Wheels Fit

FYI - didn’t see this discussed here. The 2020-2023 Explorer and Aviator wheels fit 2002-2011 Explorers. 5x114.3 with a center bore of 70.5 Great news if like me, you buy take offs. Anyone do this swap yet?
  4. Number4

Sudden Increase in MPG’s

I’ve historically gotten 285 miles per tank. That’s with 70% highway miles. It went down to 250ish with no explanation. But now, I have the opposite. The last two tanks have been 320+ miles. Just put in 18.66 gallons on 334 miles. Meaning I had an easy 3 usable gallons left (22 gal. tanks...
  5. Number4

Front wheels don’t free spin

Just did front brakes on my ‘04 and noticed when torquing the lug nuts, that wheels don’t free spin. Shouldn’t they? After putting everything together, I was getting the grinding noise and the vehicle wasn’t wanting to move. I thought it was the brakes grabbing the rotor, that’s what it feels...
  6. Number4

Rain leaking in at passenger visor mount

Started raining while driving and I caught a drip out of the corner of my eye. It then became just short of a steady stream. Now that I’ve stopped, so has the drip. Unless it’s going down the A-pillar. Is this caused by a blocked sunroof drain? Or is it more likely a bad windshield seal?
  7. Number4

Antifreeze leak from 4.6 intake?

It looks like the intake on my ‘04 4.6l (264k miles) is leaking antifreeze from where the thermostat house portion contacts the plastic. There’s a little pool below it, then along the spark plug rail portion. Back drivers side top of engine has signs of antifreeze, which may just be from the...
  8. Number4

eBay 4.6l Intake Manifolds

So eBay has intake manifolds for only $98 that reference the Dorman part number. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they in fact Dorman product? It’s all out of China anyway.
  9. Number4

Top trans bolt won’t catch thread

****update - sorry all, I’ve been working on my sons ‘04 4.0 for some time, posting questions. Forgot to mention that when creating this thread. **** I have every trans bell housing bolt back in, except for the top passenger side. It goes and feels like it hits the metal plate. But if so...
  10. Number4

Solved Vacuum hose under intake

Where does this vacuum line connect? It has very little reach.
  11. Number4

4.0 Intake Valve / Exhaust Valve replacement

I know I've read of people doing this, but it must have been buried deep in a thread. I've searched and can't find a thread specifically about this. I have a low mileage 4.0 where some valves on bank 1 have contacted the pistons. Trying to figure out what I may be looking at in replacing the...
  12. Number4

No compression after timing

So, recently did the timing on my 4.0 while the engine was out. I have the master timing tool kit and followed all the instructions. Nothing rotated while we did the job. Didn’t have time, so dropped the engine off at a shop with the car. Just got a call today saying that one side of the...
  13. Number4

Crown Vic / Grand Marquis Engine

I know one member swapped a Crown Vic 4.6 into his Explorer. I believe the only real issue was one less power steering bolt. 2010 crown vic engines with low miles go for $400, vs high mileage Explorer engines at $700+. Has anyone else performed this swap?
  14. Number4

4.0 Timing chain no timing marks?

At no point in replacing the chains does it mention counting the links on either side. So the rear passenger chain and sprockets go on, just as they fit, and are only held to the cam/crank with the clamping force of the bolts. Ie. no woodruff key or notches in the gears etc. The front...
  15. Number4

Why the 4.0 timing torpedo’s

I understand now why the timing will just let go and torpedo the 4.0 engine. I pulled my 150k mile engine out and replaced it with my 130k engine, while having the trans swapped. My sons 4.0 had a spark plug break, so we set forth to look over the 150k engine to swap it in. Turns out the 150k...
  16. Number4

Replace rear timing cassette only

I’m wanting to replace just the rear cassette while the 4.0 is out. The front looks fine and of course can be done later with the engine in the vehicle. When I dropped the pan, there were two plastic pieces in it. This surprised me as the engine ran great with no chain rattle. All chains are...
  17. Number4

4.0 mounting to engine stand

I’m having zero luck getting my engine stand mounted to my ‘05 Explorer 4.0. I can’t get the top two bolts to line up at all. I’ll try with the Mount switched one more time.
  18. Number4

What should I do to my 4.0 while out

I have a 4.0 with 150k on it that ran great. I’m planning to pull a 4.0 with a broken spark plug and 207k on it, with slight timing rattle. I was considering replacing timing on the donor before dumping it in. But would I need to replace the guides if there’s no current issue? Should I just...
  19. Number4

Broken Spark Plug

The number four cylinder spark plug (2004, 4.0) sheared off at the nut. I’ve never had this happen before. I disconnected the injector and was going to move the car and it shot the porcelain out of the threaded part. So now it’s a little loud, holes open into the head through the remaining...
  20. Number4

4.0 engine cart or cradle

I’m going to have a donor 4.0 real soon and need a way to store it. I’ve searched and I’m not finding any prefabbed carts that fit it. For the most part, it’ll set in one spot in my garage, but I’d like to be able to move it. Anyone know of a cart I can purchase? What have you done otherwise?
  21. Number4

Rotational erratic thump sound

So driving the ‘04 today, I hear this weird thump thump thump sound from what seems like the center of the vehicle. Kinda like the sound made when you bump your hand on the door or body. Only, it was like an arm was tied to the driveshaft and flopping around. Funny thing, I don’t recall any...
  22. Number4

Passenger side timing tensioner

So I’m trying to swap out the rear tensioner, which is supposedly torqued at 35 ft lbs? It ain’t moving. I even put an impact on it and it won’t budge. Anyone else run into this? Supposedly the timing was already worked on. Maybe they put red locktite on it?
  23. Number4

4.0 Timing Video

Thought this was a great video on the rear timing component replacement. Specifically, as to why the engine must be out to do the rear.
  24. Number4

Heater hose assembly w/rear hvac

Anyone replaced this entire assembly, or parts of? Don’t want to spend $240 All of the hoses on the one I’m looking at are swollen. And the valve is cracked.
  25. Number4

‘03 Ex 3.73, 2wd rearward noise

I have the option to pick up a 4.6l for my son. Has about 195k on it. Been sitting for a bit but after taking it for a drive, it seems to operate well, with a couple of exceptions. 1. 1st to 2nd seems a little hard, but no other issues felt. 2. Odd ball rear noise. It’s a rotational noise...
Back