Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

how tight to torque wheel bearing nut?

Can you send me the pics of what the look like worn out? I disassembled mine yesterday and they looked ok to me. Problem is that I really dont know what "OK" is supposed to look like. nothing looked broken or anything but they were HEAVILY custed in dried grease and dirt. I cleaned them up...
  2. H

the noise is gone!! :-)) Thanks!! I torqued to 35 FT lbs, then backed off 1/4 turn then tighted to 16 inch pounds. I also put a VERY light coat of grease on the inside of the hub assembly...hope that wont hurt it. nonetheless the noise is gone. Thanks again... If anyone has any advise on...
  3. H

Thanks!!! How about the auto hub pieces and parts? Do they go in clean and dry or do I lube them? Is so, with grease, oil or what? Thanks
  4. H

2 questions; 1. How tight do I torque the nut that tightens the front wheel bearings? 2. Do I lubricate the automatic locking hubs, cam piece, etc? Here is why I ask..... I just repacked the my front wheel bearings with grease and cleaned the auto hub parts. Nothing on the hub...
  5. H

4 wheel drive won't work, transfer case is fine

Thanks for all the help...I really appreciate it. Where is the best place to shop for a hub conversion kit? Is this something I order from a normal parts store or do I find these on line somewhere? What cost can I expect to convert verses just replace the auto hubs? I am kinda mechanically...
  6. H

Manual hubs would definetly be the way to go....what is involved with that type of conversion? I'm a teenager and this is my first vehicle. Money is tight....which is the cheapest route to get this working so I can get down on the river to hunt ducks before the season closes? I also noticed the...
  7. H

I have a 1991 Explorer XLT (still stock), 4.0 liter, auto trans, auto hubs. The front end will not engage. It seems as if the hubs are not locking in. The tranfer case seems as if its working (can feel the gear reduction kick in). I can also hear a spinning noise comming from the front end...
Back