Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Help - Unexpected Modification Needed for Installing Hood Struts

I installed Redline. No drilling. Just a cut to the hood pad for the stud. Been working great for over two years. I would cut my losses and get the ones that fit.
  2. K

Sport Blowing white smoke???

A common thread here is white smoke AFTER sitting idling for a long period of time. I have not seen in this thread anyone mention the intercooler. The intercoolers on these vehicles are extremely efficient--almost too much so. Ford had to "install" a cardboard block over the front of a good...
  3. K

Intelligent Access?

For those with a 2020 Explorer with Intelligent Access (keyless FOB), are there Intelligent Access sensors on the rear door handles as well? My wife's 2013 Explorer only has Intelligent Access on the front doors (no sensors on the rear doors). My 2016 Tahoe has all four doors with "Intelligent...
  4. K

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

I can reply that 265/50R20 fit stock Sport rims without issues and don't rub. I put Nitto NT421Q on and am very happy.
  5. K

2016 2.3L ecoboost with ZF35 troubles

Sounds almost like a solenoid in the valve body? Gets hung up when cold but frees up when warm. I'm not sure if the valve body is replaceable separately. Might be worth going to a good independent mechanic and get a second opinion. Also, have you done a google search?
  6. K

Time for tires

I have another model Coopers on another SUV and I am extremely pleased with them. Very good traction and wear. I was looking at the SRX as well for their V-speed rating. Michelins are overpriced marketing hoopla in my opinion--a good tire, but not worth the $$$ they ask. Unfortunately, we...
  7. K

Live Stream of 2020 Ford Explorer Reveal

Peter, the battery is behind the right front shock tower--look again and you will see the red cap for the positive terminal. The shock tower also looks to be a cast piece--much better and stronger than a stamping. Interesting right-side motor shot of an ST V6. Close examination reveals a...
  8. K

Street Pack vs Track Pack

Interesting. I would have thought the other way around, but who knows...? Thanks for the info. Can't wait for more information and pictures to become available. Would be really nice to see a colored rendition of the layout and suspension (like a ghosted view)!
  9. K

Help! What is this hanging under my 2016 Explorer?

It's not the air deflector for the PTU--it would look different on the end. Almost looks like a heat shield for the exhaust? Should be okay if driven slow-to-moderate and you are able to get it checked as soon as possible just in case.
  10. K

3.5L Ecoboost Owners - What MPG are you getting?

2013 Sport. 32k miles, mostly city. 91 octane, no ethanol! About 14.9-16.2mpg in the city. I have seen up to 23mpg on the highway, but ended up averaging about 20mpg on that trip. Just as a for instance, my 2016 tahoe, which I use the same gas, gets about 20mpg combined. Up to 24mpg on the...
  11. K

Highest Mileage 5th Generation Explorer

I also thought all Sports had PTU cooling. An article written for SAE by Ford stated as such. Our Sport has PTU cooling (at least it has cooling lines on the outside of the PTU)... That is very interesting.
  12. K

Shift to Park Warning

Correct, that is the thread.
  13. K

Shift to Park Warning

You can just replace the switch for $5 per a posting on the Edge Forum. Works great.
  14. K

Picked up a 17 Sport & Question

Peter, you are correct. My wife's Ford is pretty darn good. I have had to adjust the driver's side doors on my '16 Chevy Tahoe, though. Body panel alignment and gap has always been an issue, but as cars get "edgier" it becomes easier to spot. But no problem, that is why they make them...
  15. K

Difference between N/A 3.5L and ecoboost 3.5L?

There are some me online Ford parts dealer sites you might try comparison. Here is one: http://www.fordparts.com/Default.aspx
  16. K

Difference between N/A 3.5L and ecoboost 3.5L?

The transmission is different. The Sport uses the 6F55. Biggest transmission in a NA explorer is the 6F50. Not as much torque carrying capacity with fewer clutches. I am sure there are also chages to cv joints, halfshafts, rear diff, etc... The list would get pretty extensive. All this is...
  17. K

PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT

The temp sensor is on the EB models as well. You are supposed to fill fill through the sensor hole--that would take divine intervention, or dropping the motor and subframe! I ended up doing the breather tube mod and refilling through there. The fluid was almost tar-like. Extremely dark and...
  18. K

Just be careful not to airlock the vent tube! I did and got a gear oil geyser that sprayed everywhere. No matter what anyone says, Amsoil severe gear is tenacious! It does not clean up well... Ask me how I know...
  19. K

The Ford manual states to remove the metal shroud then the sensor--I found that impossible and did the vent tube mod.
  20. K

PTU Fluid

I'll try. The vent is on the driver's side of the ptu. If you crawl underneath while the car is in the air (lift or ramps) and look to the front, then feel around on the top "flat part" of the ptu, and trace out a few hoses running through there, one will be the ptu vent. It's not easy, but...
  21. K

Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread

+1 That is totally true. The quicker the turbos spool up (exhaust velocity before) and less resitance to spool (backpressure after) = more/quicker boost = more horsepower/lower e.t. There is a reason turbo racing cars have a short exhaust pipe coming right out of the turbo... If they could...
  22. K

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Rotated wheels and tires. Changed brake fluid. Ugh... Lubricated rear caliper & pad slides as it appeared the right rear was just starting to drag... Next day = recovery...
  23. K

Alignment

What were the before & after? Did it need an alignment?
Back