Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

too much oil/ wrong dipstick ??

RISE FROM THE GRAVE! This is one of the top comments that pops up on Google so I figured I'd share my fix. This is for a 99 Explorer 4x4. I bought the Dorman dipstick after the OEM handle broke off the original. As you all know there are 2 different sizes. The Dorman did NOT fit my vehicle...
  2. J

Part ID Help

Could someone help me ID the canister part in the center of the photo? The plastic tube broke off of it
  3. J

Serpentine Confusion

I have a 2005 Explorer FlexFuel. I had to change out the alternator and bought a new belt. Alternator went on fine. The belt listed for my vehicle is 855K-6. However. .it's too big . The old belt on the vehicle is 850K-6. Anyone run into this before ? We tried to go up and down a year to...
  4. J

Change Tensioners or No?

I have a 2005 with 120,000 miles. Bought it with 103,000. Should I change both timing chain tensioners now? Just dont' want to put stress on something with new tensioners that might not be able to handle it.
  5. J

Sitting Vehicle

About how many days should I let my wifes vehicle sit before I start it? She works out of town a lot and flies out so the vehicle sits for a week before she's back. I currently have a Expedition with 5.4 sitting in the shop for timing chains, etc....My thought is that in that week every bit of...
  6. J

V8 Timing Chains

How about the V8 4v in the Aviator...anything to look for? A few of those have come up for sale as well. Just waiting for the right vehicle at this point.
  7. J

V8 Timing Chains

I know the V6 engines have issues especially when you have to deal with the timing chain at the rear of the engine. A 2002 V8 SOHC 4x4 popped up for sale with 115000 miles and from what I've read the V8s don't have a rear timing chain. Is that true? Just trying to decide if I should stick to...
  8. J

2005 XLT Roof rubber strip

Can someone just verify that the rubberized coating there is normal....
  9. J

3rd gen questions - New member

Buy a new one on Amazon and run it up to Walmart...12 bux to install.
  10. J

Radiator Leak - Help

I was told to keep a housing in my truck....that's how bad of an issue it is evidently.
  11. J

2005 XLT Roof rubber strip

I was taking a look at a little bit of rusting along the edge of the ridges on top of my Explorer today. Evidently this is an issue that spanned multiple generations because my 99 has rust in the exact same spots. However, when I was up there I noticed that the indented body feature that runs...
  12. J

2003 Explorer possible purchase

Thanks for the input! I realize that there are problems with almost all makes/models. I have a GMC Jimmy that's prone to oil cooler line breaks and intake manifold gasket issues. I'm just trying to steer clear of the most expensive issues. Seems like in the Explorers that's fords with the V8...
  13. J

Just to verify what to steer from. 2006-2008 Explorers with V8s for spark plugs breaking issue 2002-2005 Explorers with V8s for the spark plug blow outs
  14. J

Thanks for the answers. Yes, it does have a sun roof, slide back type. I wouldn't think that water would do that to the enamel, but maybe under the right circumstances it could. I'm passing on this one though. I didn't realize there were spark plug blow out issues with the V8s and I'm not...
  15. J

The windshield thing is on the inside. The black epoxy paint , frit?, that's on the edge all the way around the interior of the windshield. Vehicle has been WELL maintained as far as I could tell.
  16. J

I am looking to pick up a used 2003 Explorer XLT V8 4x4 and found what looked like a nice one today. It had a few things that I haven't gotten an answer to though that have bothered me. First, the frit around the edge of the windshield was streaking...like coming off in streaks. It was...
  17. J

Temperature Gauge issue

So...I went out and unplugged my temperature sender and plugged in the one I was taking back to Advance. I grounded the plug on the alternator bracket and hit the tip of the sender with my little butane torch....gauge reacted and rose. SO...the gauge and sender work according to that. JUST IN...
  18. J

Temperature Gauge issue

i will get on this again tomorrow I guess...I set my mm on 20K and put one prong on the prong the wire coincides with and one prong on the base of the sender. Base reading without running was .63, which I assume is 63...after about 5-10 minutes i checked again and it had gone down to .36 or...
  19. J

Temperature Gauge issue

dustin, do you have a quick link for that...I did a few searches and couldn't seem to find it
  20. J

Temperature Gauge issue

99's must be slightly different. The one I changed does have two spade connectors inside the connector harness. The only reason I am sure its the right connector is if I ground it my temp gauge spikes to H. Also, the Autozone part said sends signal to temp gauge. I'm tempted to take it back...
  21. J

Temperature Gauge issue

Hmmm...looked at Autozone and their part had bare threads so I swapped it out and it moves...just need to make sure its where its supposed to be. I let the truck warm up for maybe 10-15 minutes and it had moved to where it is in the photo. Since I drive a Jimmy I have no clue where the needle...
  22. J

Temperature Gauge issue

It had its own sealant on it, you can see it in the photo
  23. J

Temperature Gauge issue

not very long, but the truck engine was still warm. Took the connector off again and tightened it up about a quarter of a turn...then the CEL came on...LOL not sure what that was about, wasn't doing anything that should have done that. I cleared it by disconnecting the battery cable...should...
  24. J

Temperature Gauge issue

Just got a 99 Explorer XLS and the temperature gauge doesn't work. Facing the engine I pulled the plug on the left, one wire plug. I grounded it and my gauge pegged at HIGH. That means the gauge itself is good...correct? Figured the sender was bad. I replaced it and it still reads cold even...
  25. J

99 Center Console

I am picking up a 99 XLS tomorrow and the one thing the wife doesn't like is the center console. Its a black bag under the arm rest...Is there a mod or another year Explorer that I can do a swap out with to make it an acutal console instead of a bag...
Back