Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Camshaft Position Sensor- CMP video

The noise in your vid appeared to come from the drive shaft portion of the CPS assembly, not the top electric portion.... correct?
  2. O

I've got the V6, 4.0, push rod engine. I believe I only have the one CPS at the rear of the block. I'm unable to see it, it's so tucked away.
  3. O

That's the noise!!! Your vid was most helpful!!! That's the exact noise that was coming from my 96 4.0 v6. This noise occurred on the first startup of the day, everyday for two months, and then just stopped. I had it to Ford; they told me it was the camshaft positioning sensor, but wanted...
  4. O

OBDII Code: P1401 on 1996 Explorer???

Fixed!!! Thank again guys for the great advice! I ran a dowel through the hoses leading to the DPFE to clean out all the crust, and spun a drill bit by hand in the DPFE's hose connection ports. CEL has not been back all weekend! Thanks!
  5. O

Will do, thanks for the advice! I've been doing a lot of research on this code and a lot of resources speak of the DPFE sensor.
  6. O

Had my CEL read at Autozone, produced code P1401. I have a 1996 Explorer 4x4, v6, 4.0L. I cannot find this code in my Haynes manual (it only lists codes starting with "P0XXX"), does anyone out there know what this code could possibly mean? Will this mean another trip to the mechanic or is...
  7. O

Which O2 Sensor to Replace??? CEL Code P0133

About a year ago Ford hooked it up to their diagnostic machine while the code was there. He said he found no problem with the operation of the Explorer, and to simply clear the code and forget it. I done that for a year because the CEL would only come on for a day or two and then go away for a...
  8. O

Which O2 Sensor to Replace??? CEL Code P0133

I looked through a lot of post on this forum before posting my problem, but I’m seeing a lot of controversy out there further confusing me. I’ve got a 1996 Explorer 4x4, 4.0L, 6-cylinder with a check engine light (code: P0133). The printout Autozone gave me for code P0133 stated the bad O2...
  9. O

PO420 code making the engine light go on and off ?!?!?

Oddly enough, my sisters 98 Honda Accord just had the Cat replaced today under the 8 year / 80,000 mile emissions warranty, (she has 76K on her car). I just checked my paperwork, the vehicle was purchased June/1996, so the emissions warranty on my Explorer was up this past summer. Could you...
  10. O

Thanks for the quick response Glacier991. So you have no doubt that my problem is a bad sensor and the Cat is OK? If so, which one do I replace, (pre-cat, post-cat, or both)? BTW, don’t know if this helps, but my Explorer only has 66K miles. Thanks again, Jason
  11. O

The “Check Engineâ€￾ light in my 96 Explorer came on this last August (PO420 – “Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)â€￾); I asked this forum what to do and got some great advice on a plan of attack I should take. Well, I figured the light would either come back, (telling me...
  12. O

OBD-II "PO420" Code???

Thanks for all the help! So... My plan of attack is as follows: Check the wiring harness for a burnt connection. If that is ok, wait until the code returns and replace the post cat O2 sensor and clear code again. If the code returns after all that, replace the cat. Thanks again guys...
  13. O

OBD-II "PO420" Code???

The other day on a two hour drive, my check engine light came on; took it to Autozone to have it checked; his scanner popped the code “PO420 – Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)". I had him check for other codes, but that was the only one, so I had him clear the code, (and...
  14. O

Hazard Lights not working ?

Got it to work! Thanks guys! Well, I took off the steering column shroud to look for bad wires/switch, everything looked great, so I tried the “jiggle” technique. That’s all it took; a little forceful moving around with the switch in the up/on position, and it works every time now. Well...
  15. O

Hazard Lights not working ?

Just found out today my hazard lights don't work. Turn signals work, the fuse is not blown, and according to the manual, the relay should still be good because the turn signals are on the same relay. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks, Jason
  16. O

Engine Temperature Gauge Not Working

Fixed The Problem!!! Well, my dad and I replaced the thermostat, that was the problem! We also flushed the coolant system while we were under the hood. Fired it up, took it around the block, and the needle came right up into the normal range; the heater pumps out more heat too! Thanks...
  17. O

Just replaced the Temp Sending Unit Did not work, gauge still only raising apprx. 1/8 off the “C”. After driving the vehicle for about half an hour I parked it, turned off the engine and watched the gauge. When the engine is not running the temp on the gauge increases to what looks normal...
  18. O

Reply to "TRIXIE": I am editing my prior reply. Per my Haynes manual there is two temp sending units, (one has the two wires and references "EEC-IV" "?"), at first I was following your instructions on the wrong sender. I finally found the one with one wire and a boot. It worked! When...
  19. O

1996 Idle increase/decrease with possible hissing noise!

My wife and I just bought a 1996 Ford Explorer with 62K miles on it. I have never had a Ford before and do not know if what I am hearing under the hood is normal or not. When the vehicle is in park and idling, the idle speed seems to fluctuate, (almost sounds as if someone were shifting the...
  20. O

The engine temperature dash gauge our recently purchased 1996 Explorer does not work. The prior owners said it has not been working for quite some time. They said in the heat of summer the needle will move off the “C” a tiny bit, but not much. Would this indicate a bad dash gauge or thermostat...
Back