Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Why do my headlights suck so bad?

Try baking soda and vinegar mixed together and a pot-pan scrubber. It works a lot better than brake fluid or toothpaste. toothpaste will work but takes a lot of time. Put the toothpaste on some 0000 steel wool and rub, rub, and rub some more! This is for cloudy lenses not the bulbs. Should have...
  2. J

Time for new exhaust - what to get?

I put 27in. thrush cherrys on my 2 door. Ran both pipes out the right side behind the tire. Tight fit but looks-sounds good to me.
  3. J

Painted Grill

Looks great! I did mine awhile back. I did remove the grill. Youtubed it before attempting. Took about 5-6 min. to do. Krylon makes paint called fusion that will stick to anything. Used it a lot with great results. Just cant decide to paint my rims or not. Probally will.
  4. J

in need of help

10-4 That archer973, good tip. connections and-or cables are problems sometimes hard to find.
  5. J

rick- tried to be an elete explorer hope it goes through.I know how to fix-rig a lot of stuff...

rick- tried to be an elete explorer hope it goes through.I know how to fix-rig a lot of stuff for cheep-free. this web site is verrrry helpful. I hope I can help others. I have been working on tractors,heavy equiptment and older trucks and cars for about 28 years. live in the country where we...
  6. J

please help

by pass the inertia switch to see if that's the problem. Pump relay or look under the truck for broken- rotten wires.
  7. J

in need of help

Try new battery cables? brothers 18 wheeler had a similar problem. We changed-checked everything and the cables were the problem. Corrosion inside the cables when we stripped the insulation off. Just something to toss in there!
  8. J

Vacuum line...how do I fix it..edit fixed it

Why not try to make a splice? just find something that has the same outter diameter of the inner diameter and slide the two together. MABY 1/8TH. air line or parts out of an ink pen. There is always the salvage yard.
  9. J

Black steel wheels on a 1996 Explorer....

Why not just paint your stock wheels black and get some chrome lugnuts? Just a cheep idea. That crylon fusion is great stuff for that. Just touch them up every few months.
  10. J

Falls on its face turning Left and hard start.

Been a little bit since last post.Found ecm relay to be hot after driving. My problem was always when after driving at least 15 mi. Changed ecm relay and problem seems to gone away. Been good 4 about 6 weeks now. Might be on to another cheep-free fix! fingers still crossed.
  11. J

HELP!! Explorer suddenly died while idling, don't hear fuel pump priming.

you know to bypass that switch and replace those old relays! That simple stuff can make you cuss and throw stuff.
  12. J

K&N intake tube worth it, or more snake oil?

Cant tell you bout that snake oil, but you are on the money about those posts! I got out of it FAST! Interesting opinions at best.
  13. J

4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread !

I was on a different thread with this, glad I found you guys! What I did on my 4.0sohc was duel 27 in. thrush packs, left the cats where the were, and ran tail pipes out the passenger side behind the tire. Sounds great to me! I used 2.25 in-out mufflers and 2 in. tailpipes. Gas millage? Picked...
  14. J

Flush/drain and replace all fluids?

couldn't agree more! Don't forget about the fuel and air filter! They are very important on one with those miles.
  15. J

tire wear pattern

If you have rotated your tires once an a while, you probally have upper-lower ball joint issues. rotated, they all wore the same. On the inside just like all our fords. Its a little pricy on a budget, youtube it and do the labor yourself.
  16. J

Are my tires shot? Need some feedback, posted pictures.

congrats on those tires! That's a big deal around here! Almost like custom exhaust! KEEP EM RUNNIN.
  17. J

Fuel pump gone bad?

Well, me and lefty have had fun trying to run down a similer problem! This is what all I have done, it is all cheep-free and one of these solutions may help. Bypass thatinrtia switch by just cutting and butt connecting the wires. Theres only two, pink- green on my 2000. Change or swap out the...
  18. J

4.0 SOHC Custom Exhaust Options

New update on the thrush packs project! Aklmfreak, I took it to the next step. scrounged up the money to do the tailpipes out the back. Less racket in the cabin area, and smooooth as silk out the back! Side by side right behind the tire. Very hard. Used two inch pipes from mufflers. had a friend...
  19. J

New Member, New ideas

Yup, window tint, paint those rims flat black and get you some thrush glasspacks and your on your way! Good luck and congrads on your new ride!
  20. J

Update on the millage, it is exactly the same. Thinking about tailpipes out the back. At 1800rpms crusing, it sounds great. Getting there is just a little annoying. But still not bad. Keep in mind, I have swiss cheezed my air box below the filter. Caution, that debate on air filter stuff on this...
  21. J

HELP!! I think i messed up

I bout bet you you have a wore out universal joint. Replace that first, the rear end is OK. been there, done that. You changed the way the cross was posisoned when you took it apart. 99% of all rearend problems are univseral joint problems. we make drive shafts were I work.
  22. J

Weird substance under radiator cap

Yup, agree with ranger x. Heres your fix,[ and it works] -totally flush your cooling system with a water hose. Open the radiator drain plug wile you are doing it with the motor running. Flush, flush for about a mmm 30min. Put in 3tablespoons of DAWN and donot compromise with this! Tighten the...
  23. J

Sport wheel for sale?

FAST GATOR,You are right! down here in the south, our -pick-n-pull salvage yards have plenty of 1st and2nd wrecked explorers. The steel is all they care about. Rims, tires and plastic they will just about give you. Scrap iron is going for 15.00 per hundred now. plastic lights ,switches, door...
  24. J

Aklmfreak, I went with your set up. Put on long 12in. turndowns and 27in. thrush packs. Used factory hangers and welded it all together this morning. Sounds awesome! Simular to a small block with flow 40 on it. My butt dyno is broke, but I am just a cruser- daily driver. I will post any fuel...
  25. J

Sport wheel for sale?

Guys, I hate to tell you this, but they can be had around here for 50.00 each.
Back