Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

'04 sport trac 4.0 4wd front axle torque spec

HI, working on the sport trac, did the front bearings, brakes, outer tie rod ends, etc. I can't find a torque spec on the front axle nut. Anyone have a reliable source? Thanks! --Bob
  2. B

Problem installing front Brake pads

Actually I meant the caliper mounting bracket, which holds the pads themselves at each end. The pads had to be pried out they were pretty much frozen in place. Yesterday it was the passenger side, which I got back together. The rotor picture attached is of yesterdays passenger side effort...
  3. B

Problem installing front Brake pads

Hi all, So I'm doing a brake job on the 2004 sport trac that has lived it's whole life in chicago area. My truck has never seen the inside of a garage except maybe a small handful of times. This means that it's solid rust everywhere. The pads I got are identical to the ones that are on there...
  4. B

where to get new battery cable harness?

So I'm driving home from michigan towing a heavy trailer. About 45 minutes into the drive I stop at a starbucks for a coffee. Come out and truck is totally dead - even the locks won't do anything even using the lock button on the inside door panel. Key turns on nothing - not a beep or a blink...
  5. B

Aussie Locker installed today....hmmm

Alright I used to own a '93 ranger with an explorer 8.8 31 spline axle. Put a powertrax noslip in and loved it. Swore that I'd never own a truck without a locking diff in the back again. On tight turns under power you'd feel the tires fight due to traction a bit, but never really heard the...
  6. B

Just ordered Aussie Locker for the Ford 8.8

Thanks for the info. I put a powertrax noslip in the explorer axle I had in my ranger, many years ago. It was an easy install, but that was back when I had all the tools, an old garage floor, and plenty of time. Now I'm VERY short on time, my tools are for the most part in storage, and will...
  7. B

Just ordered Aussie Locker for the Ford 8.8

So, I've got 4.10 gears. Will I need to remove the carrier and ring gear? What is the gear cutoff for having enough room to remove the pin? Years ago when I installed a powertrax noslip in the 8.8 I didn't have to do that, at least that I remember. Anyone install the aussie with 4.10...
  8. B

why 15 inch vs. 16 inch tires cost difference?

Doug, "As far as I know they'll ship to anywhere in the lower 48 (CONUS)... for $40 (ie. $550 for the 285's and + $40 shipping)." Who are you referring to? I'm trying to find anyone on ebay that has that price or close to it, can't find anyone. Who are you going through? Thanks! --Bob
  9. B

Alright, now you're talking! Where are you getting that price shipped? I'm up for an ebay purchase, no problem! --bob
  10. B

Why would bfg all terrains for 15 inch wheels be so cheaper than the 16 inch versions? I'm talking 33 inch tires (33x12.5.r15) for $149. 285x75r16 are $195. These are narrower, too! Why the price differences? Oh how I miss my 325x60xr15's that were on my ranger. Anybody have a pic of a...
  11. B

just ordered 4 rancho rsx shocks for the truck

From everything I've read they seem good. Wanted the rs9000's like I had on my ranger, but couldn't justify the price for a stock truck.... Anybody else have them and if so how do you like them? --Bob
  12. B

Clunking coming from 5 speed transmisssion

Very common especially with your mileage. What's happening is not the gears, but the synchronizers. They are the brass rings that engage the gears themselves. They typically go around the mileage you are stating. A manual trans can be rebuilt yourself if you've got the will to do so. I...
  13. B

Installed hitch: firmer ride?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It definitely seems like it's cut out enough body wiggle and twist to be noticable. Probably because of the long long wheelbase these things have, who knows. What about traction bars on these things? Do spring-unders have any need for them? I remember...
  14. B

Installed hitch: firmer ride?

Just installed a hidden hitch, and is it just me or is the truck driving/riding firmer and smoother? Has anybody else noticed this or am I just seeing what isn't there? I swear it seems to be quieter, no heavy occilating sound on bumps, smoother and firmer on bumps and turns. I wonder if the...
  15. B

Is the bed totally plastic? Looked underneath and...

That's good to hear. I'm now wondering about the internal tiedown points, if they're bolted to plastic or metal. I just gotta get a chance to crawl underneath during good daylight to see better. Thanks! --Bob
  16. B

Is the bed totally plastic? Looked underneath and...

it seems to be so. Looks like that re-inforcement of molded plastic going across the whole thing. Need to have it up in the air to check and make sure. Anybody seriously use it for rock and stuff? How does it hold up? Anybody ever crack the bed? I'm thinking about scoops of rock dropping...
  17. B

serious roof racks: something to carry WEIGHT and Long items

Hi, Thanks for the input, but I have no room for a trailer. A strong roof rack should be available, but the stronger ones that I've looked aren't quite what I want. I may end up making my own. --Bob
  18. B

Somebody called my sport trac 'cute' today...

Eh. Iffie. But if one person thinks it's cute, others are saying or at least thinking the same thing. THAT's what scares me. Never had this problem before. It's too late for me, but if you're considering 'trading up' to a newer vehicle and you've modified your current one - stop!' Just...
  19. B

Somebody called my sport trac 'cute' today...

A soccer mom called my truck a 'cute vehicle' this morning. Ruined my day... This makes it clear: I just can't wait any longer to put the tires and lift on. Nobody EVER said that about my ranger. Now, I just blend in with the other suv drivers. I used to have big tires. I used to have a...
  20. B

serious roof racks: something to carry WEIGHT and Long items

Alright, with my old truck (93 ranger) I was able to carry some serious heavy steel. For example one trip I had 10 or 12 C channel beams 10 feet long weighing about 75lbs each. They hung off the back, but were fine. With my new 'trac that is NOT an option, more than 1/2 the beam wouldn't even...
  21. B

Cruise Control Problem on '03 Sport Trac

Yeah, I wasn't all that clear, was I? What I meant was, when you press the button it comes on and goes right off - split second, a quick single flick if you will. It didn't blink or anything similar to a code, just wouldn't stay on for more than a tenth of a second. If you worked at it enough...
  22. B

Hi Drew, Are you referring to the small green cruise control light? Because mine just wouldn't stay on, it didn't blink or anything. Just trying to understand your info completely.
  23. B

Literally just picked up my truck from the dealership a few minutes ago, it was in for that exact problem. The cruise control light would flicker when you tried to engage it. "Cause: Replace brake pressure switch 110wft " Part number: "1 3L3Z*9f924*AB" Hope this helps! --Bob
  24. B

garage height clearance solution: let air out of tires?

So from what I understand with your problem, you are clearing the door itself, but the arm that sticks down does not clear - correct? In that case, I'm guessing you have a similar setup to what I've got, and I think I have an answer for you. My garage door has a chain like most do, and it...
  25. B

2WD to 4WD. Any tips?

When I converted from 2wd to 4wd, I got the dana35 front axle and the engine crossmember from the same truck. At least on my '93 you need the crossmember, the stock 2wd one does not match up at all - there are multiple reasons why it doesn't work, each one of which is a show stopper. We cut...
Back