Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

E85 at $3.50@gallon vs 87 octane $6.00@gallon.

Is your vehicle a flex fuel vehicle? If not, you shouldn't be running E85 at all. It'll gradually eat up your up your hoses and gas line seals.
  2. R

Locking Gas Cap for 22 EX?

No, most cars do not have locking gas doors these days. They went through a phase in the 90s and early 2000s where a lot of cars had them but a lot of the automakers kind of got over it.
  3. R

4th Gen 4.6 V-8 Spark Plug Questions

What are you talking about about a 9/16 spark plug socket? They are a standard 5/8 spark plug socket.
  4. R

Vertical play in front lower ball joint, bad?

Yes, the ball joint should be replaced. It's much easier to replace just the ball joint than the whole control arm. Advance Auto or AutoZone usually have the ball joint press for loan for basically free.
  5. R

Why won't a Ranger/Explorer 4.0L 5R55E trans fit a Ranger 3.0L??

Just because the transmission code is the same, that only means it's the same model transmission. It doesn't mean that it is exactly identical. For example, back in the day I had a 1970 Mustang and a 1977 Mustang, both with 302 engines and both with C4 Transmissions. They were not...
  6. R

4 cylinder engine swap?

Not to mention the fact that it probably will not improve your gas mileage and may actually make it worse. They are heavy vehicles and a 4-cylinder would have to be working really hard to keep it moving.
  7. R

4 cylinder engine swap?

It wouldn't be easy or worthwhile. You would have to also get a different transmission to match the engine, and then you open a whole can of worms on getting PCM to work right. Not to mention that you're alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor will probably not be mountable on a 4...
  8. R

Alternator Identification

I'm not sure if you're running a lot of extra accessories, but the voltage you spec'd sounds like it's about right where it should be.
  9. R

Torque Converter Rattle?

I never did figure out what was wrong with mine. I don't know if it was coincidental but the trans I actually went completely out on me totally out of the blue while I was driving one day. I pulled the trans and tore it down and that Infamous check valve in the pump must have seized up because...
  10. R

4410 input shaft filings

I'm not sure yet. Probably steel. It's fine powered metal inside the transfer case female input shaft, where the training output shaft fits in.
  11. R

4410 input shaft filings

I just removed my 5r 55s transmission to rebuild and when I separated the transfer case there are a lot of metal filings inside the input shaft on the transfer case. ???? Does this mean the splines are shot?
  12. R

Hey Glacier. I'm planning on rebuilding my 5r55s tranny in the next week or so and wondering if...

Hey Glacier. I'm planning on rebuilding my 5r55s tranny in the next week or so and wondering if your posted offer of loaning the pump alignment tool is still valid. Please let me know.
  13. R

Hi. I'm getting ready to rebuild my 5r55s transmission and I'm wondering if it's advisable to...

Hi. I'm getting ready to rebuild my 5r55s transmission and I'm wondering if it's advisable to use the torque converter to align the pump on reassembly rather than buying the very expensive pump alignment tool.
  14. R

5r55s vs 5r55w

Thanks. I think I've actually narrowed it down to the transfer case, not the transmission. It was driving fine although the transfer case had had a noticeable clunk to it when I engaged it in Drive every time. Last week I was driving fine and went around the corner and all of a sudden it stopped...
  15. R

5r55s vs 5r55w

Is the rebuild kit for a 5r55s transmission comprable with a 5r55w transmission?
  16. R

Just drill 3 3/16 holes on each of the two side cats in the direction where they're not going to...

Just drill 3 3/16 holes on each of the two side cats in the direction where they're not going to vent on anything critical and you'll be fine. It'll run and drive great but sound like **** but who cares. It'll at least hold you over. I got my full replacement entire 3 cat assembly y-pipe from...
  17. R

Weird left hand electrical problems

My 2003 Mountaineer suddenly developed a strange electrical problem. Truck is running fine, but half my interior electrical stopped working. Power driver seat doesn't work, but Power passenger seat does. Also the keyless entry and the keychain remote entry no longer work. Very strange that...
  18. R

Torque Converter Rattle?

BTW, I didn't mean 2 Chainz the rapper, obviously, but Google Voice typing thought so.☺
  19. R

Torque Converter Rattle?

I've rebuilt plenty of small block Ford engines but I've never had to dig too deep into a ohc engine. I've researched the timing chains for the 4.6 some because I know I'll need them eventually. It looks like a pain in the ass but it's definitely something I would do myself because I can only...
  20. R

2003 Squeaky front end

SOLUTION: Yesterday I finally greased my lower ball joint, which is fine because it's only got about ten thousand miles on it and I've checked it, with a grease gun needle and the squeak/creak is gone!
  21. R

Torque Converter Rattle?

SOLUTION?: No, I know it's not timing chains because I put a stethoscope on those also. It's definitely coming from the bellhousing. Just an hour ago I let two guys from a very reputable transmission shop take a quick glance and, contrary to people calling it "The Dreaded Torque Converter...
  22. R

Torque Converter Rattle?

I changed my filter and fluid not long ago and it was all very clean. I got that term, "Dreaded torque converter rattle" from some of the many posts on this site about it. My trans shifts and performs fine, and many people with the rattle have said that they've gone as many as 100,000 without a...
  23. R

Torque Converter Rattle?

I dunno. There are a ton of posts on here regarding the issue. Apparently it was some kind of design flaw, but not a durability issue. I just finally had a chance to actually record the noise and post it.
Back