Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Another clunker with issues

After procrastinating a long time finally got this thing back together! Started it up and it seems to have cured its rough idle at start (hasn't been started since I started this project) started right up and idles good. I got a piece of heater hose to replace the rubber Y fitting ($15 for a...
  2. N

90 degree hose it is then! Now to try to find one the right size with the help from the "genius" local parts store guys I have :banghead:
  3. N

Read over that post-looks like mines slightly different then his-like I said its a Y adapter not just an elbow. However not really sure why the other length of tube is even neede as its just blocked off on the end. Theoretically i could just do an elbow like his and not use the other length of...
  4. N

Any idea what this Y tube fitting is called under the iac or a part #? It's the fitting that connects the air breather tube to the Y adapter then from the Y adapter to the upper intake and the other end of the Y to a tube that's capped off at the end? Like I said mine cracked when removing...
  5. N

98 ford explorer theft light glows solid when I lock the vehicle

I'm pretty sure my theft light glows solid when I hit the lock button on my door too
  6. N

Help! Couldn't drive my truck home, won't start! Sputters

You relieve the pressure so you don't get high pressures gasoline squirting into your eyes when you disconnect the fiter line lol. You'll still lose some gas even with pressure relieved
  7. N

Were you low on gas and parked on an incline?
  8. N

Ill check autozone for vinyl conditioner. Definitely don't want to do this job twice. Good read on the vis-ill be checking my 97 to see if its vis is operational I checked the service manual cd (which has already helped me a bit finding the hidden two upper intake screws) and it looks like I...
  9. N

Alright so ill get a timing cover gasket when I get to that point. Today I was able to remove up to the upper intake before the rain hit. I struggled to find the two hidden upper intake screws lol but I got em. Then fought with the egr a few minutes before it gave in. So far the egr o...
  10. N

Pop the hood and look on the fuel rail, there's a blue cap covering a shrader valve. Push that with rags over it to relieve pressure and some say to take the gas cap off for a few seconds too. You'll need a fuel filter tool to remove the lines from either end of the filter too. Cycle the key...
  11. N

Awesome. Hopefully mine are reusable as well. They're not leaking but not sure on their condition. Did you replace your timing cover gasket? Or is it reusable If in good condition as well? Ill update this thread with my findings tomorrow.
  12. N

Alight, great! I've read over that thread and most your how to's in your sig a few times-great information! Hopefully the rain will stay off long enough tomorrow that I can get it torn down! Forgot to grab valve cover gaskets while I was there. Looked it up and its $35 for the kit! Pretty...
  13. N

Great! Thanks again. I just picked up intake gaskets a the torx bit as well as a new flex shaft since my last one broke and I heard a couple of the screws are tough to reach. Guess ill find out tomorrow the condition of the rear guides. Anything else you'd recommend while I have the intake...
  14. N

Great, soon as I figure out the leak ill tear down the intake and vale covers and see if anything is broken in there. Then work on replacing the primary tensioner-hopefully the tapping lies in there as well. Is there a gasket for the front timing cover?
  15. N

You're link didn't work for me either lol. Is it part number 8441?
  16. N

Here's a vid I took the other day of the rattle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPeYw2Rc8h4 You can hear it when I rev the engine in the beginning the best.
  17. N

free service manual

Got the cd today! Thanks buddy!
  18. N

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/parts/Timing-Kit-Component-Timing-Chain-Tensioner/_/N-j9tmhZ8znsj?id=964227 Is this the right one? Like I said in my previous post, going to pull it apart and see what's damaged first before buying anything, but I'm trying to get a general price...
  19. N

While I'm picking your brain about explorers, figure ill ask another unresolved problem with my other exlorer. 97 4.0 sohc, when I first go to start it up it takes a few seconds or most the time takes two tries to fire up, then runs great. Usually warm starts it'll start right back up again but...
  20. N

Ill run the explorer up to temp tomorrow and see if I can find where the leak is coming from. Was pricing out some parts on autozones website and foud the primary tensioner http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/parts/Timing-Kit-Component-Engine-Balance-Shaft-Chain/_/N-j9tmhZ8zo5u?id=964228...
  21. N

Well went to check the coolant level again today after driving it around the block a couple times yesterday. It was a half gallon low! Don't see any visible leaks around the thermostat although I didn't run it long enough to build pressure because I had to run to the store. However before...
  22. N

So do you think the engine needs pulled? If it does like I stated before I for have the means to pull it and repair it, and it'll end up getting resold. My 97 has 178k on the clock when the odometer stopped working long before I got it. I was lucky and replaced the two tensioners and no more...
  23. N

What do you recommend for an engine flush? (Assuming you mean seafoam or some other crankcase additive?) This explorer has 220k miles
  24. N

It's 2wd. Is there anyway to be 100% sure that's the rattle I'm hearing before tearing it all apart? Still seems like a pain to replace, but doable. I guess if need be ill replace that after I fix the cold start and make sure the random tapping isn't something serious.
  25. N

Yeah the gauge was always on the C before starting. I picked up a gallon of antifreeze and just came inside from filling it up. Ill try a cold start in the am and see what happens. I drove it around the block as well, and noticed the chain starts to rattle at around 2.5k rpm. It's ashame...
Back