Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Replacement throttle body needed

So tonight's quick change of the TPS after a P1120 code and loss of power today pretty much was a failure. Having changed the TPS a few years ago, I knew to have a right-angle #2 Phillips ready, and the old TPS was off in a few minutes. Went to install the new TPS, and the top Phillips did not...
  2. D

2004 ford explorer camber/caster issue

Glad to find this thread. After physically (only partially financially) recovering from another timing chain and guide replacement and a transmission rebuild, the 03 XLT is wearing the inside of the tires all the way around. I replaced both front hubs several weeks ago too. I know I have to...
  3. D

Stuck TTY cylinder head bolts

We are on our 2nd T-55 socket trying to remove the TTY bolts today from my wife's 2003 4.0, trying to find possible solutions on the forum. A punch and hammer to the center sounds like a good idea, would an impact T-55 maybe get it done. Trying to destroy as little as possible.
  4. D

2003 5r55s with 247k is tired...

Did a little searching today, I am really questioning the $1400 quote for a rebuild now, looking at some of the prices for the parts kits. Since I already have to pull the motor for the timing chains, I could pull the transmission and take it to a shop to be rebuilt right, so distance matters...
  5. D

I appreciate the response. I'm willing to travel for a quality rebuild that checks the right boxes. Is a quality rebuild possible for that $1400 qoute? I could not ask technical details on the quote at the time, but that price seems low.
  6. D

I'm in Spartanburg, used to work in Pineville over 20 years ago.
  7. D

Well, I got a quote for a Jasper transmission with install for a little over $3K. But, with the Explorer on a lift today, sounds like one of the timing chain tensioners has failed, and a timing chain is slapping. We pulled the motor and did the timing chains almost 70K ago, but maybe with some...
  8. D

Last night, after dinner, our 03 4.0 XLT would not engage any gear while running. I slid under it, and the linkage worked, but shifting through the gears did nothing. Called AAA and got a rollback to carry home. Once unloaded, I started it, and have the accelerator a quick stab, then tried the...
  9. D

'04 Explorer XLT Lift Question's

Don't try an 3rd Gen body lift without these pliers, a can of PB Blaster or Kroil, a good breaker bar, and patience. http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/engine/locking-oil-filter-wrench-66570.html
  10. D

Yet another transmission question...

265/70R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's....after trying a set for our trip to Colorado and Utah, with all the different terrain, and LOTS of highway miles, I'll keep buying them as long as I can get them. Planning for a set for my 2003 Jeep WJ daily driver too, good highway, rain, and even snow...
  11. D

The recent cold snaps we have had here in the southeast generated some more info, as I am trying to rebuild my cash reserves for repairs. During the wife's 12 mile drive to work before 8 AM, no issues. During the drive home, with maybe a 3 mile detour for grocery store, it will usually happen...
  12. D

As much as I hate to even think it, I can't help but wonder if the filter and fluid change stirred up something, because (insert Dun Dun DUNNN music here) it started after the filter and fluid change. The magnet in the pan was in the wrong spot from the last shop servicing the transmission...
  13. D

Good to have that confirmed on the CEL on these vehicles...I suspected as much. The "feel" of the behavior we are having very much resembles the jarring you can get from the 4X4 Auto with a single low PSI tire and sudden turns...not a complete "bang", but startling to the driver, because its...
  14. D

Well, struck out at the transmission shop I chose, it's a family-run place and the office manager is in the hospital, so several of the techs were visiting her.. The one guy there said they were booked for two weeks solid. Does the FORscan software read the transmission codes on the 3rd Gen's...
  15. D

Well, I am trying to decide if I should be slightly amused that I have found a brand new problem, or hopeless because I found yet another problem. I believe the transmission is the 5R55W. Digging through the paperwork we got when we bough the 3rd Gen from the previous owner, I found the repair...
  16. D

My wife's 2003 XLT with the K code V-6 has 217,000 miles on it. Trans was rebuilt by original owner at a little over 70K. The timing chains and tensioners were replaced last year, then had a head gasket leak this fall, tore it down to fix that, and one of the replaced timing chain tensioners...
  17. D

**help!** with lift kit

Ditto on the body lifts....about to pass 18 months with my wife's 03 with 1.5" body lift, and still very, very pleased. Wife said if we buy another 3rd Gen, it must have at least the 1.5" body lift installed.
  18. D

How To: First Gen Rear Window with Cables Fix

Well...... Another problem has kinda taken priority from the rear doors, but I still need the parts. My daughter ran the '91 hot and probably cracked the heads, but I am not picking up a single wrench to work on it until she saves up $200 to start. I may try the junk yard route for the...
  19. D

Another head gasket thread

Following this... After staying up until 2AM to replace the blown water pump...an actual test drive today (and hard questions to my daughter about how the engine sounded once she took her headphones OUT and pulled over) is indicating I will be replacing a set of heads myself.
  20. D

He PM'd me back :D Work has been crazy, so I did not have much time to check the forums, but he's got a good deal. Now just to figure out how to pay him ;) and we'll get my daughter's ride back in shape, and then I might try to locate the parts at the local U-Pull. Dredwolf
  21. D

Well.... I have sent a PM to kbabiac, is that still the best way to reach him? I have a u-pull yard near me, but it got "assimilated" by LKQ recently, and I have not been since they added more fees for yard access, so I was hoping to pick up the tracks at least. Thanks, Dredwolf
  22. D

Whew...... Just wanted to thank everyone for keeping this thread going. My daughter started college, and actually WANTED to drive my '91 Explorer, so besides regular repairs, anything I can upgrade for her helps keep my '91 "alive" that much longer. I've already rebuilt the window drive...
  23. D

Dakota Definity AT tires would not fit.

Love the Coopers, best AT tire I have ever run....good road manners, wet traction, works rock/mud/sand/dirt in Moab Utah, works in rock/dirt/mud in Colorado, even decent in the red clay here in SC
  24. D

Do I need a lift for 235/85/16's on my 02 Explorer XLT?

The Coopers? Perfectly happy with them...during our trip, put 6K miles on them, in everything except snow...with the tread design, silica formula tread and the siping, they should do well in the snow too. Even with 6K miles in such a short time, very little wear at all. Wet asphalt and...
  25. D

Spartan Locker

Glad to see the long term feedback here...thinking about adding a lunchbox locker to the 2003 Explorer after the trip to Utah and Colorado. I can't cheaply add travel to the rear IFS to keep the tires planted, but a locker would at least provide " 3 wheel drive" :D Any issues with 4x4...
Back