Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

A/C clutch replacement.

Thanks for the info. I just finished doing this on my '97 (without removing the compressor or opening the system). The trouble I had was getting the coil completely seated without the bolt stripping/breaking. I was able to get it pressed on within about 3/16" of where it was supposed to go...
  2. T

how do you open the hood (billet grille)

I had the same question - Here's what I did Here's what I did: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3337990&postcount=5
  3. T

billet grille on a 97

Sorry for the six-years-late reply.... :-) I was searching for this topic as I too have the same billet grill on a '97 Sport that I purchased last year. I wanted to add a few pics to show anyone that runs into this issue just another variation of what can be done. Here are a few picks of the...
  4. T

Zip-tied tube under 4.0 SOHC upper intake - What purpose does this serve?

Really appreciate everyone's info and advice here. I finally got this thing running and can also attest to the fact that the absence of this tube does not seem to make any difference at all. Although, when I first started it, the CEL was on and it wouldn't idle worth a darn and kept dying...
  5. T

Zip-tied tube under 4.0 SOHC upper intake - What purpose does this serve?

Hi Folks, Am almost finished with the '97 SOHC repair and have yet another question for you. On the underside of the upper intake manifold, there's a black plastic tube that's tie-wrapped to the intake and connects to a oddly shaped tee (likely unavailable or really pricey to replace). Does...
  6. T

F77E-9E453-BC Vacuum Reservoir - What does it connect to?

As usual, it's not until after you have already installed something that you find a diagram/pictorial reference: lol
  7. T

Thanks MayJan. There didn't seem to be quite enough room there but I mounted it close by. Appreciate the info. :-) --mike
  8. T

Hi Folks, Am trying to finish up the '97 Explorer repairs and can't recall what the heck this vac-reservoir connects to or where it mounts. I took about a gazillion pics as I was disassembling all of this stuff but apparently I still didn't document quite enough. Does anyone here recognize...
  9. T

Camshaft compatibility question - '97 4.0 SOHC

That's what I was hoping. Thanks! --mike
  10. T

Should be this one: http://www.omnitek.co/Mellingweb/Partdetails.aspx?Part=MC1375&From=A
  11. T

Hi, Do camshafts have to be replaced in "pairs" on this motor, or is an aftermarket camshaft (Melling) compatible with an OEM cam on the opposite side? I really don't wan't to buy yet another expensive part if I can avoid it, but I also don't want to cause an imbalance and horrible...
  12. T

4.0 SOHC rebuild "uh-oh" - What IS this part? - Did I miss something?

just a bump before I forge ahead ;-)
  13. T

4.0 SOHC rebuild "uh-oh" - What IS this part? - Did I miss something?

Does anyone recognize this 4.0 SOHC part? Hi, I have 4.0 SOHC question for those experienced with the internals of this motor. Mine's a 97 and I'm about 50% complete with a repair/partial-rebuild and find myself in a situation where I have what might be a "leftover" part. It's a...
  14. T

P/N Needed - Ladder Frame Bolt-Seal-Washers - 4.0 SOHC

F77Z-6734-AB - Bolt seal/gasket Adding pic for reference/clarity...
  15. T

Got em'. Thanks! Thanks kevinspann ! Base part number was correct. :) Full part number is F77Z-6734-AB. Thanks again! --mike
  16. T

Hi all, You folks continue to provide a goldmine of information and I'm thankful to everyone here. Am hoping someone can again point me to a needed part number for some "Bolt Seals/Washers" used on two of the "ladder frame" mounting bolts on a 4.0 SOHC ""E" motor. I've searched many...
  17. T

Oil Pan 98 SOHC (rusted THROUGH!!)

Fel-Pro OS30687R - Compatible with 97 SOHC Pan? Hi, I have a 97 4.0 SOHC and the oil pan (97 JM-6675-BC R9NRA) has a built-in rubber-bead gasket/seal bonded to the pan rail. I didn't realize this before purchasing a Fel-Pro pan gasket # OS 30687 R. The rubber on the existing pan seems too...
  18. T

Primary Timing Chain Service Procedure

Got it - Thanks! Thanks again. Really appreciate the help! :-)
  19. T

Primary Timing Chain Service Procedure

Hi All, I'm in the midst of a 97 4.0 SOHC partial rebuild and would love to get a copy of these docs. I have one of the few 2WD 4.0 SOHC that *has* a balance shaft. It had the death-rattle and also developed an internal leak (cracked head) and I've got it all apart for repairs and am...
  20. T

A/C (compressor clutch) will not energize immedately

Hi, I can't answer your question, but your symptom is making me wonder if its the same thing that's causing my 97 clutch to disengage after 30-40 minutes. Watching your thread with great interest. Hope you find out soon. Good luck! --mike
  21. T

A/C works great.... for about 40 minutes..

Hi again, Am chasing a frustrating problem on a 97 4.0 SOHC 2WD explorer. (manual, *not* climate-control version). Bought it used with 161K miles and a blown trans. After fixing the trans, I had several A/C-related items to address, and thanks to the wealth of info from the many folks on...
  22. T

Waffling in "5R55E hell" (post-rebuild) - No 1st, reverse or OD

Mikey likes it!! Works great :) Just finished putting in one of Donny's valve bodies from Central Valve Bodies and I am definitely a happy camper today. As Phil would say, NOW we're cookin' with peanut oil! :D Much much better. No delays, no slips, no flares and all gears work. And...
  23. T

Waffling in "5R55E hell" (post-rebuild) - No 1st, reverse or OD

"Valve body time" ... here goes..... Donny's valve body arrived earlier in the week; ... time for round #2. I'll let y'all know how it goes.... :) --mike
  24. T

5R55E reverse servo pin cracks?

Hi, Thanks. That's the first place I looked but they're out of stock. Any alternates? (https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=230-00023256K) --mike
  25. T

5R55E reverse servo pin cracks?

Where can you find the viton D-rings these days? Hi, I know I'm replying to a >1yr-old post, but I'm having zero luck finding them for my 5R55E. No one seems to have them in stock any more. Has anyone been able to locate the Viton D-rings for a 5R55E reverse/low servo recently...
Back