Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Whatever... It's not like you're the first, or even the 10th person to do so...why don't you read the thread to see how the others fared?
  2. Z

Need some help--insurance value

Is this your insurance company or someone else's? Is it a comp claim or a liability claim?
  3. Z

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt... Exactly. The fact that your Explorer mileage didn't suffer at highway speeds when using A/C led me to conclude that you weren't using all the torque available at that load/RPM, with A/C off. I see that you're creating your own software for your...
  4. Z

Haven't had time to come back to the thread before... Of course, I know what physics says...I also know that there are more variables involved than wind resistance. Given your statement, I assume 10 MPH would be more efficient than 30, or 50. Do you stand behind that?
  5. Z

help not sure

It's not that hard to change heads, but if I were going to do it on this vehicle I'd pull the motor. You'll have to pull and replace the timing chain and I wouldn't try to do that in vehicle. You'll also need the cam tool. I'd also question whether you have a head/gasket problem. Warm up...
  6. Z

Headlight Problem....

I'd be inclined to think it was a bulb issue.
  7. Z

What Should i Buy

If you buy an SOHC, check BEFORE you buy to see whether all outstanding recalls have been done. That should take care of intake leaks and timing chain issues.<p> The 5-speed auto is nice, but requires some attention for long life. You can find that info on the forum. With my X I normally...
  8. Z

45mph whine - woob woob woob noise

Why am I thinking of Larry, Curly, and Moe?
  9. Z

Upper control arm removal

It's part of the bolt, and comes out with it. As I recall the driver's side is a pain because of all the tubing.
  10. Z

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Speaking of help...I'm servicing my trans in the next week or so. When we talk about servos, we're just talking about the various seals, right? What else, if anything, should I be replacing regarding the servos?
  11. Z

looking for tips on improving fuel mileage

I would suggest synthetic ATF and Synthetic in the transfer case and diffs.
  12. Z

97 upper control arms

Try this thread, also in the sticky section: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165352
  13. Z

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Hey...make sure she knows how smart and handy you are!
  14. Z

Mileage update I didn't use a consistent filling technique on my last mileage check, so yesterday I did so in a very deliberate way. Same station, same pump, let run until auto shut off. Let sit for 10 seconds, started nozzle again until it shut off; .5 gallon additional. Noted same on...
  15. Z

Mileage check Took a drive today to simply test for mileage. All highway, 62 MPH, no air, 174.7 miles, 7.1 gallons. 24.6 MPG...I thought I'd do better, based upon recent mileage results. I filled at the same pump/station, but topped differently. Relatively small fillups distort any...
  16. Z

That's incredible. I don't think any other 4x4 comes close.
  17. Z

You realize, of course, that you're just heightening expectations?
  18. Z

My Portland trip was before Seafoam. My trip this weekend was after. I drove the guy probably 75 miles on Friday before the smoke stopped...and before I filled for the trip. Al, what are the different parameters you're treaking, if you don't mind saying?
  19. Z

Amazing! Are you seeing any appreciable difference on your home brew programs versus Doug's?
  20. Z

Mileage I have a 97 4.0 SOHC, 5 sp auto 4x4, 123K miles. I don't get to drive on the highway too much so I took advantage of an opportunity I had a few weeks ago. From Seattle to Portland and back, plus about 75 miles of in town there, some stop and go. 378 miles total, 15.4 gallons at the...
  21. Z

Actually I thought your questions were intelligent. For the purposes of my post I identified two types of thread morons...first any guy (and they come regularly) who reads through two posts and then calls Al a liar. I appreciate what Al offers here and calling him a liar because they haven't...
  22. Z

Al, something I meant to ask...anyone else chime in if you can. What speed for you yields the best mileage? Your mileage runs are at 65-75 MPH. You get great mileage at 65-68. I know that wind resistance is higher at higher speeds, so it seems that you would get better mileage at 60. But...
  23. Z

Squeak/Squeel help

As I recall there was an improperly sized hole in a separator plate used next to the valve body. The transmission whined when in drive but stopped in neutral. It's not fatal. I think the fix involves pulling the valve body and either replacing or drilling out a particular hole on this...
Back