Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

door ajar switch - jiggle test diagnosis

Hope you find it. I think water tends to drip down on these switches on older Explorers and they get corroded. These alarms are very challenging, so make up your mind ahead of time that you are in it for the long haul and don't get frustrated.
  2. C

Cluster w/Message Center

I put another non-message center back in mine. I don't think they would interchange. Both kinds were available on ebay.
  3. C

Cluster w/Message Center

I have an 02 XLT without message center. I replaced my IC recently because the odometer would not show up. Mine had about 200,000 on it. I bought a used one on ebay from a unit with 98,000 on it. I replaced the old cluster; a many-pronged wire harness plugs into the cluster. (Look at ebay photos...
  4. C

Door AJAR Switch Replacement on 2002XLT

ADLPB, don't disable the system. It controls or affects many systems. You likely have a sticking door ajar switch and it is probably in one of the front doors. The chimes and door locks and dome lights and alarms in the middle of the night will just get worse because of this little switch. Read...
  5. C

ADLPB, I would think an 02 Eddie Bauer has a rear window latch. My XLT, a less loaded car, does, but it is not noticeable. if yours has a small handle on the lower outside of the window, it does. Your problem sounds just like a latch or door that need to be closed more firmly. You should check...
  6. C

I think there are probably 6 door ajar switches in your 03. Besides the 4 doors the back gate has one where it latches. There is also one where the back window latches. It opens too, and I wonder if you have opened it by itself. My 02 has a button under the outside lift gate handle that releases...
  7. C

2002 Exp Cluster Issues

I was surprised, too. The PCM should control the odometer. I will tell any new owner that mine is about 100,000 too low, but nobody could tell that the IC has been replaced. It plugged right in, and I was happy to see the odometer light up again. Maybe some tech could repair one, but it is...
  8. C

2002 Exp Cluster Issues

The IC can be replaced for about $50-75, used from Ebay. I got one for my 2002 Explorer 4X4. You can't fix the old one. The replacement came from a car with 98,000 on it and that mileage is what now shows up. My old IC worked except the odometer would not light up. I also had huge door ajar...
  9. C

Door ajar wont turn off now everything going wrong

Don't assume it is the driver's door. The door ajar switch on the passenger door can cause all these problems. See my post 8/31/13 jiggle test. Catlin
  10. C

door ajar switch - jiggle test diagnosis

Here is another test for pinpointing the door ajar alarm problem. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. Several weeks ago the door ajar alarm came on with a vengeance when the car was started. Door locks opened and shut, the dome light flashed and the ajar alarm sounded repeatedly, all as if a demon was...
Back