Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Loud bang when 4x4 is on

Don't know what I did wrong there, anyway I knew the new lockouts would fix your bang as it sounded like what my truck did to a tee! I know they fixed my issue now all I get is a little whine when on dryer pavement I am guessing that has to do with the rear tires being more wore down than the...
  2. D

Loud bang when 4x4 is on

Karpov, the manual hubs fixed my loud banging issue, probably will yours also.
  3. D

Loud bang when 4x4 is on, also!

Hi, received the hubs yesterday, I got the Mile Marker ones, the bang is Gone and the four wheel drive is working. I am however getting a whine sound I do not think it is the lockouts I think possibly the front axle lube needs checked or transfer case, who knows the 4-wheel drive has not moved...
  4. D

Still waiting on the hubs, I will let everyone know if it corrects the problem when I get them installed. Thanks for the help
  5. D

Also it seems to make the same bang when I turn the 4x4 off and the hubs unlock.
  6. D

No not driving on dry roads, I suspect the hubs cause when I try to climb a snowy hill the hubs will go ZEEEEEEE and the front tires don't pull. Driving down the snowy road the bang seems to change from side to side but mostly the driverside front wheel and it sounds the most violent. turning...
  7. D

They are on the way RangerX, we'll give it a try, thanks
  8. D

Yes RangerX it only does it when engaged in 4WD, I just removed the hubs and took screw drivers and pushed each mechanism up and down both moved the same and then I took the truck for a drive and it is still kicking like a mule:(
  9. D

I see the spring action now, but see no wear or issues with it
  10. D

Hi I have the same exact issue as but I have decided to start new thread also. I have a 92' STX 4x4 and I would say it bangs like this about every 20 seconds or so traveling at 40 mph or so, actually it is pretty scary! It sounds like someone is hitting my wheels with a sledge hammer. I am also...
  11. D

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Also I would like to add that the 4x4 motor shaft barely moved at all it just vibrated back and forth a bit while my daughter was pushing the button I was watching the shaft on the motor, I wonder why the 4x4 lights came on the dash at all? I thought the position sensor in the motor knew where...
  12. D

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Thanks! Thanks again Brain! Your how to post is excellent, when I pushed the 4x4 button on my truck the 4x4 lights would light up but 4x4 was not working! strange huh? well I removed the 4x4 motor removed the lid and removed the round gear and there it was right in front of my eyes, the rubber...
  13. D

A4LD "Please help need advice"

Hi RAB= Rear Anti Lock Brakes I may try to test again the way you explain, all I did was take a voltmeter and attached black to ground and measured voltage in the solenoid wires while driving when the computer tried to engage 4th and tcc voltage fell to 0.42 volts. I may also try to hook switch...
  14. D

Hi I got around to checking the truck tonight and I put 10 ft. lbs. "120"lbs on the OD band adjuster and put the truck in 1st gear, the trans was indeed in a bind. I backed the adjuster off 2 turns and took it for a drive in hopes the adjustment might do the trick! I think I turned it in more...
  15. D

Now that's the kind of advice I am looking for! Thanks JK080, I will do just that. I hope I do not have too much problem with the band adjuster though as it looks a little rusty but I think I can get by with some PB Blaster and by backing off the nut just a bit first, I am sure the adjuster will...
  16. D

I went ahead and removed the OD servo, it looked like new. I figured it wouldn't be that easy!
  17. D

Hi I am starting a new thread here as the new one was getting to be a cluster and I know a little more about what is going on now. I thought I was having a torque converter lockup issue and may still be but after lots of testing and reading I know now that I have no 4th overdrive gear and the...
  18. D

tachometer problem

I have the very same issue, does anyone know what causes this? Is taking the instrument panel apart the only way to repair it? Seems funny that everyone's I have read idles at 3,000 " on the tach".
  19. D

1992 Ranger " NO TCC LOCKUP"

I have another thing to add I found a piece of elec tape covering the rear ABS light on the dash and it is lit. Could this dirty or bad sensor create a tranny issue like this?
  20. D

Well I guess I was wrong, I talked to my friend about the light and he said it was never on before, I thought it was. I started the truck today and the light went off, I think it may have been my test tools on the ecm possibly causing the light possibly I don't know how but that is all I did...
  21. D

I am going to work on the truck a little more tonight until dark anyway, I think I will focus a little more on the battery cables as they are old and stock, but sure don't have any issues starting the engine. I cleaned all the terminals last night and coated all of them with die electrical...
  22. D

I found another interesting thing about the battery or "charge" light. When I turn ignition in the on position without the three wire harness hooked to alternator the light does not come on, but with the harness plugged back into the alternator the light comes back on, so the wire knows the alt...
  23. D

I also checked the fuse and it is good and cleaned all wires on starter solenoid to make sure that wasn't causing the light to remain on. I have a voltmeter gauge and the battery icon light, where does the wires from the battery light go to or come from?
  24. D

yes sir it is charging but light continues to stay on. thanks
Back