Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

5.0 Ticking Under Load when WARM, P0402 Code

It threw a P0401 code
  2. S

Nevermind Just realized I never updated this thread. It wasn't the EGR valve after all. I replaced the valve, tube, dpfe sensor, and solenoid and am still getting the code. There is definitely a distinct ticking noise under load which I think is now louder than it was before, and it is still...
  3. S

EGR System Driving me Nuts!

Great, removing the manifold looks like it's going to such big time. The bolts and studs look pretty seriously rusted, especially where they meet the y-pipe. If it wasn't so old I would replace the whole exhaust!
  4. S

Okay so I cut the heat shields off of the passenger side manifold. Surprisingly I didn't see a crack anywhere. What I did notice is white corrosive build-up around the 3rd (from the front) spark plug. I can't help but wonder if the ticking I am hearing is some sort of electric arcing caused by a...
  5. S

I tried tightening up the manifold bolts. They weren't going anywhere. None of them appeared to have backed out. I replaced the solenoid and there was still a slight vacuum at idle. The DPFE sensor was recently replaced as well, but maybe it's defective? I am going to cut off the heat...
  6. S

It's gotta be the manifold. The solenoid didn't do it and the ticking continues even with the vacuum plugged now. I must have made it worse when I was wrenching off the EGR tube. So what can I do? I guess I am screwed into getting new headers?
  7. S

I guess the other thing that I don't understand is that the ticking noise under load is ONLY after the Ex has warmed up. I thought manifold leaks were supposed to be loudest when cold but when I first start up I can't hear anything. I think my next step is going to be to replace the EGR...
  8. S

That's pretty much what it sounds like. The thing that confuses me is why the noise would stop if the vacuum line from the solenoid to the EGR valve is plugged up. Wouldn't a cracked header make noise either way?
  9. S

If I pop off the green vacuum line coming from the solenoid to the EGR valve and put my finger over it at idle, there is suction. It is not supposed to do that? What does that indicate?
  10. S

Loud humming when cruising or downhill

Sounds to me like it's a good chance it's the front diff. Definitely check the fluid.
  11. S

In the off chance it helps, I just uploaded a video to YouTube where you can hear the ticking noise. It's much more noticeable than it seems to be in the video but you can still hear it, especially after I stop and accelerate the second time...
  12. S

I just pulled them off to make sure they looked okay. I ran a cleaning rod through them to make sure they were clear. I don't see any cracks or holes in them anywhere, and they have plenty of flexibility. I don't see anything wrong with the small hard plastic hoses either.
  13. S

I actually replaced both the EGR Tube and Valve yesterday. Still having the problem.
  14. S

I've been having EGR issues since I picked up my 98 Ex 5.0 last summer. I keep thinking I have the problem figured out but it keeps coming back! When I bought the truck, I noticed when I got home that the green vacuum hose going to the top of the EGR valve was plugged with an 8mm bolt. When I...
  15. S

98 Ford Explorer EGR valve replacement

I don't know if you've had any luck but I'm in the middle of trying to replace mine as we speak. The nut holding the tube to the header is a 1 1/16." The bolts holding the valve to the manifold are 10mm. Hope you had more luck than I'm having!
  16. S

Looks like it was my EGR valve itself. I took off the vacuum line to the valve and plugged it and no more noise or check engine light. I ordered a new one and I've added it to my list of things to do once it stops being so cold!
  17. S

Remove front driveshaft on AWD Mountaineer

Your transmission should shift the same as it did with the front shaft installed. Mine was out when I bought the truck and shifted absolutely fine. Sounds like something else is wrong.... maybe VC is slipping?
  18. S

What's on your Explorer to-do list?

Replace EGR valve on a 5.0.... not looking forward to that.
  19. S

Removing Front Driveshaft with AWD

Opinions seem to differ on this subject. Some say that you can drive in this manner for extended periods without damaging the transfer case, and plenty of others have said that doing it will eventually fry your viscous coupling. From what you are saying, I wonder if the problems in first gear...
  20. S

Ever since I picked my 5.0 EB up over the summer, I've been struggling with the EGR system. I realized shortly after picking it up that someone had messed with the system since the green vacuum line coming from the EGR valve had been disconnected and plugged with a bolt. After reattaching, the...
  21. S

PA snow

I'm in PA too and I'm so glad I bought my 98 Ex over the summer!
  22. S

Strange Feeling in Steering... What Could This Be?

I've been using my 98 5.0 AWD way more than I ever expected this winter because of all the ice and snow we've been getting in PA this year and also because I just like the truck more than I ever expected. I bit the bullet in November and had my local Ford dealer re-mount my transfer case and...
  23. S

Just swapped out AWD transfer case... now it's leaking!

Yep besides that it seems to be working just fine. Just dreading the idea of doing that job over again.
  24. S

Just swapped out AWD transfer case... now it's leaking!

I spent all day yesterday swapping the transfer case out of my 98 AWD. I'll be the first to say that I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing but I thought it turned out okay. Anyway I take it out this morning for a "trial run" and when I got home I noticed a puddle of ATF forming...
  25. S

Ticking under load after 5.0 DPFE replacement

Never mind. Fixed the cracked vacuum line which killed the CEL but the ticking continues. Brought to a mechanic who tells me yes it sounds like a leak but it's not bad enough to tell where it's coming from. Big help that was!
Back