Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

For Sale 94 Explorer 2D 4x4 4L 5-Speed

Very little trouble... Only minor surface rust (no scaling) on the frame. Body is clean. There is a gouge in the pinch weld area under the passenger door. The black trim around the small window on the driver side has been mangled at some point (someone probably locked their keys in the car &...
  2. T

For Sale 94 Explorer 2D 4x4 4L 5-Speed

Anyone want to play with this Ex & keep me from parting it out? I bought it sight unseen to pull the transmission out of, but seeing how clean it is (and that there may be minor transmission differences)- I have ceased my efforts to remove the transmission & am offering you guys a chance to snag...
  3. T

VWbaja10 Intro

Welcome! :) Looks like a fun project... Hey Admin(s)- can one of you pm me? I sent 2 pm' s, but have yet to see a response. Thank you for your time!
  4. T

2nd generation front brakes upgrade?

I realize that it has been 3.5 years since the last post, but I am curious- what ever happened to the 2 sets of 4wd spindles you received?
  5. T

Rear brake upgrade

Anyone get this swap sorted out? I'd love to increase my stopping power (2nd gen currently rolling on 20's) without breaking the bank. I've searched and searched, but haven't come up with a completed project that fits my needs. Has anyone tried putting 4/5th gen rotors/calipers on a 2nd gen?
  6. T

Gt500, or S550 mustang gt base 4 pot brakes

Following- I really need to put together a better performing brake package for my xlt. The 20's look good on it, but definitely killed my braking performance & I want to drag the camper a long way next summer.
  7. T

Tnashua's 4.0 OHV rebuild...

Yep- Guess the Question is- How well have the LUK clutches held up under increased power & loads that you guys have generated when modding your 4.0's...
  8. T

Brief update: Explorer has been a lot of fun & pretty reliable (barring an overheating episode brought on by a fried fan control relay while towing a camper in town), but it is time to tear back into things... Clutch has been making more & more noise, Can't park the X on a hill because it won't...
  9. T

FX clutches on eBay?! Any good?

I have had good luck w/ LUK in other projects in past years... Just not sure how they perform w/ more power. I'm sure I am making a bit more power than stock right now, but I have plans to slap my M90 on it in a couple years and turn it up a bit more. Any of you using the stock clutch with a...
  10. T

FX clutches on eBay?! Any good?

Hello, I am a proud owner of a mildly modified 98 XLT. Unfortunately- the throw out bearing is making noise, the tranny sometimes grinds a little going into 3rd, and some dummy (won't name names) didn't put sealant on the flywheel bolts when he rebuilt the engine about 14K ago- SO- I will be...
  11. T

Quick update: Got a hitch installed- X pulls great! :) Put a larger dia. sway bar & new HD shocks on the rear- vast improvement... :) Been playing around with torsion bars- gained a little MPG when I dropped the front, but didn't adjust the alignment and was tearing up the inside of the tires-...
  12. T

For Sale 4.0 SOHC K&N Drop in Filter

Oh- fiddle- Disregard the post below- I did check & it looks like I'd need part number K&N 33-2106-1 for my X... Hope someone finds this deal (that can use it)! What would shipping be to 52577? Any pictures of the actual filter? I haven't looked on the K&N site to verify fitament- I have a 98...
  13. T

Sorry that I haven't been on here for a while... Still don't have much time! Wanted to give a brief update. I've gotten about 1200 miles on the X since the rebuild... The Bad: I still have a slow oil leak from somewhere in the rear. It occurs to me that the crank flange probably was drilled...
  14. T

I'll try to post better updates soon- Been way too busy lately. I do want to say that the beast is up & running... I took it last weekend on a 250 mile excursion- it got 19.66 MPG :) BUT- I seem to have a rear main seal leak?! I've had the intake & cooling system apart several times &...
  15. T

1998 explorer 4.0 ohv cam sensor alignment

Notice the rotors position in respect to the little slot in the rear (of the photo- actually the front in relation to the engine orientation)... It aligns with the passenger side of the slot when at the 26 degrees specified by the procedures outlined above & the driver side when at TDC...
  16. T

lots of small progress to document pictorially, but I'm too short on time- wanted to post this "fun" pict though... Kinda reminds me of a blown flathead :) (if you squint)...
  17. T

Just found: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264672 going to attempt this method- too bad there weren't any pictures to go with it... Wish me luck! Here are a few picts from my process- please don't take these as gospel- I won't have the engine installed for another week-...
  18. T

For clarification- I have a 98 XLT 4x4 4.0L OHV 5 speed... The "sensor" is composed of a "housing" that fits into the back of the block. The housing has the gear that meshes with the cam gear, a shaft extension that spins the oil pump shaft & a semi-circle metal "rotor". The "rotor" spins...
  19. T

HELP- I've spent an hour and a half looking into this cam sensor thing , but still have not found a procedure that describes what I have & what to do with it... I have a 2 part sensor- not a 3 part. I'd like to stab this thing in & get it over with. Surely someone knows where the "rotor" inside...
  20. T

Bought a radiator, got my bolts, took the engine back apart, installed the new rod bolts- discovered that the rod bolt installation shifted the caps enough that the rods need re-sized to maintain clearances... Machine shop is super busy- so it will be next week sometime before they get to them...
  21. T

Replacement Radiator Choices...

Update: Still haven't installed it to verify fitment, but (other than the Core Thickness) the mounting & inlet/outlet appear to be the same... CU1728 vs. stock for my 98 OHV... I'll try to post another update after installation (along with pictures). NOTE*- THE FAN SHROUD WON'T FIT without...
  22. T

I finally found a part number for the OHV Explorer that is a 2 core- don't understand why it took sooo long! CU1728 Didn't find a 2 core on the rockauto link you sent Anime, but as I am finding- I am apparently a lousy searcher. Your input did lead to a series of searches/cross referencing...
  23. T

I recently discovered that my radiator needs replaced (was cleaning it up in preparation to re-install w/ my overbudget rebuilt engine)... I have a 98 with the 4.0l OHV & a 5 speed. I don't mind having a radiator with the aux. cooler built in- because I may put a power adder on at some point &...
Back