Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

URGENT!! What is a TFI Module

Well... I found out the TFI module is the ignition module. I saw it on the news today. But what in the world does TFI stand for anyways????
  2. 9

URGENT!! What is a TFI Module

I doubt it's the box on the distributor. I have no idea what is a TFI module, but the one on the distributor is called an ignition module.
  3. 9

Deep thoughts about rear wheel hp

I'm not quite sure, but I have heard about installing stronger clutches, modified valve bodies, and torque converter.
  4. 9

Deep thoughts about rear wheel hp

I think if you want to cut down on driveline loss, rebuild the transmission to a stronger unit, because the transmission (IMHO) takes up alot of the engines power, it's just to soft. If you drive a Mustang, you can feel how different the trans is, it delivers more of the power to the wheels...
  5. 9

NoS?? Hmmm......

For those who want to run NOS with a chip, make sure you add some octane booster to your gas because being bottle fed, timing should be retard a little bit to prevent knocking... and since the chip advances timing to a point where you already have to run 92 octane it could be dangerous.
  6. 9

Evaporator fuel leak code P0442?

A loose gas cap will cause the code, but also a bad seal on the gas cap will cause the evap. system to leak also. If you live in California, all smog shops have a gas cap tester and you can check to see if your gas cap is leaking.
  7. 9

Help: Remote Start

I don't think it need a tach wire. It can be used in tachless mode. I believe the alarm is hooked up right because all the other functions work and if I turn the key to the on position and make the alarm start the car, it would also if it's started with the alarm, even when I turn the key to...
  8. 9

Help: Remote Start

Need help with installing the remote start on my alarm. I have the starter wire, one of the ignition wire(for the ecm/fuel pump). When I try to remote start, the engine would crank, but won't start. I think I haven't connected a certain wire causing the no start. Because if I leave the...
  9. 9

Which muffler for me??

CAsplorin, I have a single pipe going in and coming out of the muffler. 2 1/2" piping from the cat back and no resonator. I would stay away from this, but if you want loud, I guess this is the way to go. Just watch out for cops that hate loud exhaust systems (like my area S.F. Ca).
  10. 9

Lifter replacement without removing heads?

You may also want to try and flush the motor. Before you do an oil change, pour 1 qt of ATF in the motor and run it for about 15 minutes and then do the oil change as normal. Sometimes this cures noisy lifters because of the buildup in the lifters. I know this is not the right way to fix...
  11. 9

Which muffler for me??

I have a Flowmaster (dual chamber) with 2 1/2" piping and it's loud as hell. So whatever you do, I suggest staying away from this muffler. At half throttle, you can probably hear it 2-3 blocks away. Also, at certain amounts of throttle, there's a flat spot in the roar.
  12. 9

Superlift 1.5-2 inch susp 149$??

jayr, How did your lift go? I'm thinking about getting the 1.5-2" lift. Does it come with everything you need? Do you really need to buy the shocks or can I live with my current ones? Also, tdavis told me about some bushings under the coil springs, did you change those?
  13. 9

FREE set of PIAA 9004 Superwhite headlights! AND THE WINNER IS....

Cool, count me in... Ed ewong33@yahoo.com
  14. 9

Sierra run?

tdavis, I can't get the pics website to load up, is it the right address? Anyways, how you guys do on Sunday? Any damages? I was able to wash most of the scrathes off my truck, but now the exhaust is hitting the skidplate, power steering is leaking, and of course the bent front bumper...
  15. 9

4th july/California run

tdavis, Check your email, I have left you my number... so call me up and so we can meet up. latez Ed
  16. 9

4th july/California run

Where you plan on going? 4 day trip? BTW: What's up with the Sierra trip, are you guys still going? Saturday morning?
  17. 9

Bolt on or Weld on Exhaust?

I was planning on ordering the Flowmaster cat back exhaust from Summit for $158.95 but today I went to the local muffler shop and they quoted me $140 for 2.5" pipe and a Flowmaster muffler with no tip. Of course the muffler shop is going to weld the exhaust on rather than making flanges and...
  18. 9

next SF bay area run?

baexplorer, I just quit my job but I live right off of Silver Ave. off 101 just south of you a little. If I can go, I can meet up with you at 7th & Harrison. I will let all of you guys know if I can make it, gotta ask the wife plus I have a job interview today. Thanks for the invite....
  19. 9

next SF bay area run?

Is this going to be a overnight or one day thing? And where exactly in the Sierras? Not the Rubicon right? Saturday or Sunday? Oh, can I run if I have street tires that are not at all agressive?
  20. 9

R134 conversion myth?

If you just want to convert R134a without doing any mods, you can purchase the R134a oil that is safe to be use in R12 systems. They claim it would not react to R12 oils, but I haven't tried it myself yet. I saw the product at Kragens but don't remember the name of it, though I do remember it...
  21. 9

Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

The intake gasket is a very straight foward job. It can be done by even a rookie(given a little more time). The only problem you may encounter is having a hard time taking out the upper intake because of the spark plug wire clip in the back of the manifold, you may have to pop them out to have...
  22. 9

HELP: OD going in & out

I was thinking about the TPS sensor acting up but not really sure. I'll probably hook up a scanner to truck and see if there are any codes. Thanks...
  23. 9

HELP: OD going in & out

Okay, I was driving on the freeway today going about 65MPH in OD when I noticed that the transmission would shift in and out of OD. Same amount of trottle, flat road, sea level, etc.... the conditions of the road is the same but it just shifts in and out of Overdrive. Is this a sign of the...
  24. 9

VAPOR LOCK???

Sounds like denation to me... Is your engine running hot? If so, that could cause it. Also if your RPMs are too high, it will diesel a little before turning off. I suggest using high octance gas and some kind of cleaner you add to the fuel for carbon deposits, try it for 2 to 3 tanks of gas...
  25. 9

calling all shade tree mechanics..

Maybe you have a bad igition module or coil (1/3 or the coil is no good which would affect 2 cylinders). I'm leaning toward the module though, because alot of times modules would work fine when cold and act up when it gets hot until it finally quits.
Back