Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Zero volts from the alternator

If the battery is bad you can very well see nothing from the Alt. Your batt could now be in a failure mode that has a result of reversed polarity, this would present itself as "0 volts" due to voltage sag.
  2. W

2009 Explorer = Throttle Body Assembly

Make sure your TB cleaner is "SENSOR SAFE"...... Your TB should be cleaned roughly every other oil change. A good DRY air filter helps this as well, I prefer AMSOIL EA filters (drop in). FWIW: erratic shifts associated with the TB, is usually a throttle position sensor on a 4.0 JEEP motor...
  3. W

Hankook Dynapro ATM

These are hands down the best A/T tire I ever ran, I used them on my JEEPS and they last 60k mi with proper care.
  4. W

HOLY crappy hubs!

One thing worth mentioning that can shorten or help prolong hub assembly life, is lug-nut torque and sequence. edit: and aftermarket wheel weight
  5. W

Led conversion

looks good. I have done this to most of my vehicles over the past several years, I have not done the Ford due to the green film that Ford uses. How did you deal with the green film ?
  6. W

K&N high flow filter or Cold Air Intake?

No that is the P/N for 06-10 with the 4.0, hence this being the 4th gen section......
  7. W

Engine using oil

It would DEFINITELY make sense that they added "something, I cant believe that a 20wt did not shear AT ALL on a 9k mi OCI, with higher wear metals, I would think there would be at least a little more fuel dilution, none at all would mean you started it @ operating temperature EVERY TIME and...
  8. W

Remember the old-school white 8 spoke wheels?

they will probably be significantly heavier....... Cragar still makes them, I got a black set a few years back from "SUMMIT" for a JEEP xj I had. They were dirt chep and (again) very heavy. you will have to Google the actual OE wheel size including the back spacing, than just look through...
  9. W

Engine using oil

Its hard to believe that this oil did not shear more @ 9k mi. it's still a heavy 20wt. That being said IMO that iron number is VERY high for an engine that "really" did not have a complete rebuild done......... does the 4.6 have a CI block ? Scored cylinder walls could cause this FE number...
  10. W

Actually one of the best "drop in replacements" are A/C DELCO filters (per ISO testing). Most of the guys above explained the K&N hype pretty well. K&N advertisement hype is just that, and its based on a specific application or purpose (which is not "best filtration") FWIW the AMSOIL P/N for a...
  11. W

I would not run a K&N air filter on a road vehicle. I have seen allot of UOA's with high insoluble numbers that created elevated heavy metal numbers. When I started driving (years ago) I put K&N in everything ( I bought the hype), I put one in a 2001 Cummins and Dodge would no longer honor the...
  12. W

tune up

and ALL fluids and filters..... yes even brake fluid !
  13. W

Engine using oil

Am I missing what engine you have ?? I do not see any reference to a 6 or 8..... My first question would be why are you using or even considering a 20wt oil in a 4.0 (if its the 6) ? My next question is can you post the UOA ?
  14. W

4th Gen Explorer Pictures

I'm new around here but I think it looks good as-well, I'm glad you guys posted pics as I am debating TODAY about purchasing the same guard. I HATE how low the radiator hangs on my 06, and I'm looking for a mount to add a low wattage driving light up front also since the OE headlights are...
  15. W

Tires?

A note on my preference or opinion FWIW; We do not buy 2wd SUV's as we do enjoy being off-road even in the family vehicle at times. We are a JEEP family but bought the 06 as our family vehicle, and will be putting A/T's on it as soon as X-mas is done. I ALWAYS go with A/T's on our vehicles...
  16. W

Is ford crazy or what?

Wow, we just delete post's without mention, that's a good business philosophy. The truth always seems to ruffle feathers,some who don't understand it and others who choose to ignore it....
  17. W

2008 Eddie Bauer tan/Cream Seat Covers

Not sure about ford specific covers.... I'm a JEEP guy and we ALWAYS need good seat covers that hold up to the elements, that being said check out quadratec.com, they have TONS of seat covers that would work and withstand the elements.
  18. W

keyless entry (keypad) function

There are no numbers on my fuse panel at all, just a bar code.
  19. W

thank you !
  20. W

Can somebody shed some light on this feature, I want to use the keyless entry. I read in my book that I need to call FORD for the stock code.....Getting those clowns on the phone from our local "stealership" is close to impossible...... Mine is an 06 is there a one code fits all for these...
  21. W

Key FOBs program but won't work

X2... this is by far the worst forum for scripting and ads.....
  22. W

What oil do you use and how many miles are on your explorer ?

that tick could very well be an exhaust leak, could also be something that could be solved by a different oil. If they are using 5w maybe try a 0w syn.
  23. W

this oil is essentially Valvoline.........FWIW A decent oil in any respect.
  24. W

Maybe I misrepresented my point or you misunderstood, I wasn't by any means implying that oil was the only factor in timing chain tensioner issues.....Just that I think it COULD HAVE BEEN a factor in some. I guess part of "finding the best elixir" is the hunt, or learning the info....I do...
  25. W

I agree about the level of knowledge on most automotive boards, I just want to see what most guys are using and maybe pass along some knowledge. I get frustrated over at BITOG, it has turned into a "any oil will work crowd" and yes obviously any oil will work but what goes above and beyond...
Back