Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

I debated on replacing the stock speakers in the vehicle, but since I added the sub I've been happy enough with the improvement since more than anything, bass was what was missing. The muddiness of the front speakers could definitely be detracting from your sound. To minimize that effect in my...
  2. D

You may just be getting some low frequency cancellation in the front seat due to the positioning of the box. Waves reflecting around could be meeting at your front seat and cancelling each other out. Try moving the box around a little, or face it backwards/upwards/sideways and see if that has...
  3. D

From the specs of that woofer, looks like it wants a totally sealed enclosure of 0.35 cubic feet. If that's in line, then checking the gains on your amp, crossover frequency, and phasing of the system would be my next course of action. I have this setup in my Explorer and it provides almost...
  4. D

We have bass! Bass makes all the difference! I thought I was going to replace all the rest of the factory speakers, but after just adding the sub and listening for awhile I "think" I'll leave it for now. Enjoy!
  5. D

I drilled mine from the outside in... but started with a small bit to get a pilot hole started before going with the larger bore. I do feel your pain in getting that cable ran through the firewall. Definitely the hardest part of my entire install. Good luck.
  6. D

Sync Applink?

I've given up on Ford ever updating the MFT system again. We never got the apps functionality of the lesser sync system. And with a few updates ago of my android phone the messaging system of MFT will no longer work for my texts that used to. Ford told me it was google's fault. Ha... it's...
  7. D

Yes, these two pics are the back of the head unit / radio / CD player.
  8. D

I sure thought I looked "everywhere" for an existing grommet I could have used, but might have missed one??? None the less. Battery is on driver's side, my amp is mounted on driver's side, therefore I drilled a hole on the driver's side. ;) Like someone else mentioned, (and thanks for the...
  9. D

factory wattage... Just from the Ford website... the Sony system has 390 watts total. That's divided up into 12 speakers. So if they did the "right" thing, and threw at least 100 watts to the sub, you're looking at essentially 300 watts to the rest of the system. Just ballparking I'd say...
  10. D

In line setup.. "Have you had any issues with your line in set up? " None whatsoever.... no induced engine noise whine into the line level signal. Course running just low frequencies out of it could be masking things??? I am finding myself starting to desire a little more "umph" out of...
  11. D

Extra pics of grommet as requested.. Here is an inside view of the grommet coming through the firewall: Here is one taken further back showing grommet going in from engine compartment:
  12. D

Believe me... I tried to find an existing grommet I could run my 4 ga. battery wire though.. but couldn't find one. The ones I did see, were already so tightly crammed with existing wires, there was no extra space. Plus with upwards of 60 amps of current that could be pulled by the amp, there...
  13. D

Sync Applink?

Ford has really dropped the ball with the lack of aplink on the MFT. I really enjoyed the aplink functionality ( non mft )when i rented a fusion last year, so I naturally "assumed" that feature would be on their mft system on my new 2014 Explorer. Shame on me for thinking Ford had their s...
  14. D

We have bass! System complete... and I'm very pleased with the end result which is more bass added to the stock 9 spkr MFT factory Ford system. I added these components: JL Audio 500 Watt amp http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081K3M5G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Remote...
  15. D

Getting there.... Manged to at least get started on the project of adding the amp and woofer box over the weekend. Pictures show the wiring color code off the back of the head unit, then my finished installation of the line level adapter with all wires soldered in, taped and tied. I've ran...
  16. D

updated wiring diagram??? So.. I still can't find a specific wiring diagram on the Ford Exp 9 spkr MFT system, but did find this on the 2013 flex. Car Radio Battery Constant 12V+ Wire: White/Red Car Radio Accessory Switched 12V+ Wire: N/A Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Blue Car Radio...
  17. D

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to dive into the installation over the weekend as expected. The woofer box isn't here yet anyway so looks like I may have to postpone to next weekend. In the meantime, I "thought" I had the wiring diagram for the 2014 MFT 9 spkr system, but in double...
  18. D

Well of course I turn the bass up to 11. ;-) Actually, just bump it up a little... but I mean we're only talking a 6" "woofer" in the door. Just by nature of its design it's not going to produce low frequencies very well. Got my amp, battery kit, sub adjustment knob in today... but for...
  19. D

I'm adding a woofer box, with a bass boost control and a dedicated sub amp to get the volume on the low end up, and can back out some of the bass going to the front speakers either through equalization, or some type of passive crossover. The front speakers get "muddy" way before the amp...
  20. D

Well, I picked up my 2014 XLT Explorer last week, drove around in it all week and I'm ready to upgrade the sound! I have the MFT system, ( not premier Sony.. if there really is such a thing ), but with any volume cranked up with some bass, the doors are vibrating and sound gets muddied quickly...
  21. D

Because adding the bass back to the "sub only" still keeps it away from the door speakers. Not to mention, it's easy enough, and free, to try out and report back my findings. Why add extra components that draw power away from the small built in amplifier if it may not be necessary? Yes, I...
  22. D

Couple of things in regards to your post: Passive crossovers as you mention, take power away from the speakers. One would typically want a 2nd order crossover network, capacitor and inductor and not just a single cap, which would take even more power away from what is a very small output to...
  23. D

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the 9 spkr system. Like I mentioned it'll be November before I get my vehicle, so I'll have time to research more and report back my findings. Plus I'll probably drive the new vehicle around a few weeks with the stock ford system to see if there are any...
  24. D

upgrades to 9 spkr system hmsracing, When you yanked the headunit out to work on upgrades, was there any kind of low level rca sub output on the back of it? I know you can run line level converters or use spkr level inputs if the additional amp supports it.. but it'd be easier just to run...
  25. D

adding a subwoofer to 9 spkr system... Just ordered 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with the, Ummm... "premium" audio 9 spkr system. I have gone through the thread and summed up this is what I see. 2 speakers in each front door, ( door woofer / pillar tweeter ), Center Channel, 2 spkrs in 2nd row...
Back