Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

Had mine professionally painted to match Explorer. I'm not a professional painter myself, but I'm not sure where the fear of painting over the chrome is - mine turned out great and were ready to put back on the car in 24 hours. Like I said, I'm not a painter so I don't know the prep required...
  2. N

Required taking the back door inside panel off, which in turn, required taking the lock mechanism out. Not a job for the faint and I had the help of my neighbor's boyfriend who works in a body shop. He had a tool that allowed getting under the plastic rivets without breaking them. Also required...
  3. N

Rear Bucket Seats with or without console?

I know this thread is a bit dated, but it's what comes up when I search "explorer center console" in Google. Anyway, our 2014 Sport did NOT come with a rear seat center console and I didn't really think anything of it until this past weekend when I had to sit in the back for a brief...
  4. N

Posted this in another thread, but wanted to update - did NOT have success with wrap, but handles are a breeze to get off and back on (assuming you don't knock the spring to the bottom of the inside of the door like I did...). Don't know how much it is to paint them since my neighbor's boyfriend...
  5. N

I couldn't get the vinyl to fit right at the edges - probably just me being too picky. Anyway, I figured since the handles were off anyway, I'd just get 'em painted and as luck would have it, my neighbor dates a painter. After a couple days, a few beers and a little incident with the lock...
  6. N

Read countless comments on this forum about wrapping the chrome handles so I went and bought gloss black vinyl. Looked good everywhere except the edges that but up to the doors - couldn't get the wrinkles out no matter how hard I tried. Figured since the handles were off anyway, I'd have em...
  7. N

Howling Noise

Wow! Just stumbled on this thread... we traded our 2011 a few weeks ago for a 2014 Sport. The '11 had this issue. It was BAD at highway speeds, but seemed to be worse when wind was gusting perpendicular to the vehicle when traveling at highway speeds. Anyway, it never got fixed (4 visits to 2...
  8. N

I gave it a whirl last night on one of the back handles. I, too, cannot imagine how this can be done while the handles are on the car! My first effort was pretty good, but I'm a perfectionist so I hope to improve the look on the next back handle and maybe re-do the one I did last night in the...
  9. N

Bought the vinyl yesterday on Amazon - looks like it'll be here in time for a weekend project!
  10. N

Definitely going to try this! Just got a 2014 Sport in black and those chrome handles stand out like sore thumbs! Question for Harley that I didn't see specifically addressed... Did you have to take the handles off to get it "right" around the corners and back sides? I see some talking about...
  11. N

Thank you Nightcrew! Exactly what I was thinking and some good info/advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  12. N

Just purchased 2014 sport and yes, it has chrome handles. Does not look good with everything's else blacked out. I have been told replacing or even painting the handles will require removal of the inside door panels and some pretty serious deconstruction of the doors. I am wondering if I can...
Back