Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Windows, gas gauge, radio not working

Fuse #17 blew and every time we tried to replace the fuse it would blow instantly. It turned out my son had put some pins in the headliner to keep it up and he must have stuck the pin through some wires. Once we pulled the pins out, we could replace the fuse and everything was okay again. ( I...
  2. M

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Just did this fix today. Thank you very much to the original poster - that was the best write up with photos that I can remember. I managed to get the BDA on and off without cutting the dash, I used a crow bar to make a bit of space (did not break anything), also popping off the radio bezel...
  3. M

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Can't get it off The last two Saturdays I've tried to get that damn connector off and I can't do it. I have both the metal fuel line disconnect tool and the metal low profile fuel filter disconnect set. I have even filed the edges of the disconnect tool - still can't get it off. I've tried...
  4. M

4.6L Explorer engine timing chain ooops!

Even with the timing chains off and the spark plugs out, I cannot turn the crankshaft. The crank keyway is at 3 o'clock. How would I go about removing the heads?
  5. M

I have already dropped the oil pan, that was the first thing I did to see what kind of shrapnel was floating around in there. I think clean up of the pan and inside of the timing cover will be critical. I also plan on getting a new oil pump as there are a lot of bits of crunched up guide...
  6. M

I'm in the middle of making this repair. This weekend I removed the timing cover and could see the damage. The passenger side guide was completely missing from it's proper location and was floating around in 4 large pieces. The plastic guides on the tensioners are also broken and worn through to...
  7. M

2004 4.6L Transmission vs 4.0L Transmission

possible thread hi-jack: Will an '02 4.6 2wd tranny fit into a '03 4.0 2wd?
  8. M

Whining noise when starting on cold days.

What happened? Did they change the oil / filter and then the transmission went out?
  9. M

What's on your Explorer to-do list?

To do: Replace front suspension struts. Paint door pillars Freshen up plastic body moldings Replace hood struts Replace rear window struts Clean TB - idle is low Recently Done: (All jobs done myself) New Battery - today Both rear wheel bearings Transmission fluid and filter - last weekend Oil...
  10. M

No whining or squealing noises from the transmission today either. I'm calling it fixed. On to the next issue, replacing the front struts.
  11. M

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

I don't understand the science/logic behind not changing the transmission fluid, it's a consumable item and gets used up like every other type of oil ever made. One reason I think that there are some problems is because of the method of checking the transmission oil level - it is not intuitive...
  12. M

I finally got around to changing the transmission filter and oil this weekend. The squealing transmission noise until warmed up, has seemed to have stopped! (At least for today) Changing the transmission filter and oil is not difficult, but it is messy. I would recommend reading this thread...
  13. M

I keep putting it off, I have the filter and a new gasket, just need the trans fluid and to get motivated.
  14. M

Sorry to hear about your accident, sounds like you are okay that is the main thing. I have the same issue with my Explorer, it seems like the transmission makes a lot of noise (whining) until it is fully warmed up, then the sound stops. I live in Southern California and the temperatures are...
  15. M

key stuck could not remove from key hole

I have the same issue, I was just leaving the key in the ignition. You can see in the picture the blue part is the broken off tab still attached just above the ignition switch, that is where it is mounted. The metal tang is pushed in when the car is in park and the key is released. I found the...
  16. M

3rd gen Explorer cargo area shade

I'm hoping the 4th generation fits my '02 like Nate says above. I've just bought a lightly used one off of eBay. I'll report back once I receive it. Update: Received the 2009 cargo shade today, fits my 2002 XLT perfectly.:)
  17. M

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Doing this project today, Thanks for all the contributors for their posts. My 2 cents: The 35mm Deep socket is available at Autozone (and I'm sure many other auto part stores) but it may not be with the sockets, I would have missed it's location with the specialty tools (Axle Nut) had the...
  18. M

Oil Filter Adapter Housing Gasket

I changed out the gasket today, it took me about 3-1/2 hours. Here's how I did it: First drain the oil, drain the coolant, remove oil filter, remove radiator hose at radiator end. Remove two 13mm bolts from oil filter housing from underneath. Take driver's side wheel off, pull back rubber flap...
Back