Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

2004 gauge problems

I've had this occur a few times, and each time it was either a loose battery terminal, corroded battery terminal, or a weak/dying battery. Good luck! Tom
  2. S

Whats a good HID kit

Before you order from DDM, you may want to take a look at this: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583933 It looks like they are not going to be selling HID kits anymore, so buyer beware. Tom
  3. S

$350 for V8 engine tune?

This is incorrect, as Kali2024 has a 3rd Gen with the 4.6L V8 and not a 2nd Gen with the ever-so-conveniently-placed-fuel-filter that I miss so much from my 2nd Gens, so the fuel filter is located almost directly beneath the glovebox on the passenger side of the vehicle, tucked up inside the...
  4. S

$350 for V8 engine tune?

It really does depend on what is included in the tune-up. The plugs are not anything special, but as jaydez said, be careful that you don't strip the head, which is a common problem with the Ford modular motors. Along with the plugs, the 4.6L V8 doesn't have spark plug wires, as it is a...
  5. S

Tire size Question (not if but if I should)

The general idea behind tires during winter is that for light snow and ice, a narrower tire is better as you get more pressure on the contact points to hopefully cut through the snow and/or ice. In deep snow, however, a wider tire is often considered better because the reduced pressure on the...
  6. S

are infinity speakers any good

I've always had good experiences with the Infinity reference speakers, especially for the money. Tom
  7. S

Steering wheel face

This much is true, the "face" is the airbag assembly. What you'll want to do first is remove the assembly and check to see exactly what was damaged behind the airbag assembly, and then go from there. You may have just unseated the horn spring, in which case simply reassembling the steering...
  8. S

Key fob not working

I had the same issue with my Eddie Bauer when I purchased a new fob and needed to program it. The dealer programmed the new one for me, but could also only get one to connect (they failed to tell me that though). So I got home and the new fob worked fine, but the old one no longer did. I then...
  9. S

Center Console

Nice. I'm glad I asked the question. :) Tom
  10. S

Key fob not working

Do you have power memory seats? If so, do they work? Check your fuses and make sure they are all good, in particular fuse #20. Good luck! Tom
  11. S

Center Console

This is no doubt an ignorant question, but did they make Aviators with a medium parchment interior? I only ask because when I was shopping for Aviators a while back I only found them to either have a light grey, dark grey, or cream white interior. Tom
  12. S

Factory Clutch After 150K Miles?

I have heard of a few vehicles making it that long on their stock clutches, but it may not be a bad idea to prepare yourself for having to replace it sometime soon. My brother was able to go 170k miles on the stock clutch in his old Toyota Tercel, but right around the 165k mark he began to...
  13. S

Alternator, Battery,or Ground

It is not unheard of to have a bad alternator right out of the box, so the voltage regulator could be an issue as matt0248 said. The other thing to check is the battery itself, as an alternator dying can often be a death knell for a battery, especially if it is a few years old. Tom
  14. S

Not battery or alternator........what is it

I would second checking the fuel pressure, as both a faulty fuel pump as well as a faulty fuel pressure regulator can cause random engine stalls. Another item to double-check is the ground straps and cables, as they can cause odd electrical issues if they are loose or are corroded. Good luck! Tom
  15. S

I have a crack in the tail gate of my 2003 Explorer.

The common accepted cause for the 3rd Gen tailgate crack is that the plastic panel that cracks does not expand/contract at the same rate as the glass it is mounted to, and the adhesive Ford used to mount the panel does not have the flexibility necessary to allow them to expand/contract at their...
  16. S

Alternatives to weathertech mats?

I've used the Husky liners as well as the Weathertechs (I have the Weathertech liners now). The Husky liners are probably the best bang-for-the-buck liners if you are going for a nice custom-fit liner that can hold a lot of water (or snow, in my case). They are not as nice as the Weathertech...
  17. S

Will aftermarket rims from a 08 ranger work for my 05 explorer

Do you happen to know the backspacing, offset, and width of the custom wheels? The bolt pattern is the same so they will bolt up just fine to your Explorer, but that alone doesn't mean they will actually fit... Tom
  18. S

Major Differences between the 2002-2005???

I have only seen the little rock guards (I'm assuming that is what you are referring to) on the XLS and XLT trim that lacked the body cladding that the nicer XLT, Eddie Bauer, and Limited trims came with. I'm not certain if that is 100% the case, but it has been what I have observed. Tom
  19. S

anyway to make rear window roll completly down?

If I had to venture a guess, I would say they stop short due to the fact that they use the same hardware as the regular second gen 4-door Explorers, which are restricted by the shape of the doors, unlike the Sport Tracs which don't have the rear wheel arch cutting into the rear doors. Again...
  20. S

How do i make my back stock sub work with my new stereo

If you reread this thread you will see a small harness with RCA plugs and the blue/white amp turn-on wire, which is the harness for the stock subwoofer. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271666 You will also want to go the voltage regulator route to stop the loud "thump"...
  21. S

Does someone know how to remove a 2002 Ford Explorer stereo?

The second gen Explorer (and first gen Sport Trac) stereos are actually 9/10ths double-din, and all that is required to fit a double-din headunit in them is to trim the backside of the trim bezel on the top and bottom of the stereo opening. Countless people have done it on this forum, and it...
  22. S

Does someone know how to remove a 2002 Ford Explorer stereo?

desert_rat84 has an '04 Sport Trac, which shares the interior with the second generation Explorers, and probably doesn't realize that '02 is the first year for the third generation 4-door Explorers. As long as the OP has an '02 4-door (not a Sport Trac or a 2-door Sport), the link provided by...
  23. S

'05 Adrenalin factory SW options

A few people have removed the plastic panel behind the seat and then custom-built boxes to fit in its place, though I have not done that myself. I have honestly never felt the pain of loss over that seat not folding down, as the gain is minimal with it folded down. Now on my old '95 Explorer...
  24. S

Flowmaster Super 44 Off-Road

A friend had one on his full-size Bronco when they first debuted the diamond-plate, and it's about twice as thick as a normal Flowmaster - it'll certainly take more abuse than the stock muffler, but it is also certainly not a skid-plate. On my friend's Bronco with the 5.8L (351W) V8 the...
  25. S

no bilstein shocks for '02 xlt's?

If you replace just the shock, then yes, you will need a spring compressor. If you go with the Monroe Quikstrut (which may not be a bad idea as 2002's are a bit notorious for broken rear springs), then no, you should not need the spring compressor. Take a look at these threads...
Back