Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

SCT Tuning Options

Recently moved from CA to TX, and was happy that 93 octane is standard out here. Changed from the 91 tune (i had been using for about a year) to the 93 tune. However, I'm experiencing major issues with stumbling, loss of power, etc with this tune. I'm wondering if its an issue w/ the tune, or...
  2. L

Oil Change interval

even though Mobil1 guarantees their extended life stuff will go 12 months or 15,000 miles, i'd rather not have to deal with possible warranty issues (especially since I'm nearing in on 12 months anyways). the display now says "oil change required", which apparently means the OLM is at 0%...
  3. L

Oil Change interval

yes, its not statistically impossible, but certainly statistically suspicious. the notification came up the next time I started my car past the 6000 mile mark since the last change. i think it was at 6002 at that point. the oil life said it was at 5% when i investigated the notification. even...
  4. L

Oil Change interval

My only point is the oil life monitoring system is about as good as my alarm clock. Or a sticker on my window saying what mileage to change at next. It would be nice if actually used any calculation besides mileage... but when it warns me at *exactly* 6000 miles after last oil change... I...
  5. L

Oil Change interval

Not sure whats confusing. When a light comes on at exactly 6000 miles later, I have a hard time believing that it was because the computer "uses actual engine and operating conditions to calculate when you need an oil change". My bet is that it would have notified me at 6000 miles later...
  6. L

Oil Change interval

In the Vehicle Health Report, it states: "Your vehicle's Intelligent Oil Life Monitor uses actual engine and operating conditions to calculate when you need an oil change. The computation takes into account your driving habits when determining when it's time to change the oil. The Oil Life...
  7. L

Lowering the Explorer

check my signature.
  8. L

Aftermarket wheels

I have the same... 2014 sport w/ H&R Explorer Springs. The drop isn't the same for the sport model, due to the Sport models already lowered stance compared to other models. B&A measurements dropped it ~1.1" in front, and ~1.8" in back. I have spacers, 19mm in front and 24mm in back. This...
  9. L

Interior Trim Vinyl Wrap

thanks. appreciate the compliments! idk what package the push button start is in, but i have the sport model w/ almost no extras. i custom ordered it, so i could pick only exactly what i want (and save some ca$h in the process). the only things i did choose to add are the tow package and the...
  10. L

LED turn signal how-to (front & rear)

Hey Cloud9flyer ... How are your LED brake/turn signals holding up? I got some a number of months back from the same ebay seller. The right one stopped working... and knowing it could not have possibly "burned out" yet... I inspected it to see what the problem was. Well, one of the metal rods...
  11. L

Lowering the Explorer

BTW, if you want an explanation of all these measurements, I found this page to be helpful: http://www.vikingspeedshop.com/suspension-101-camber-caster-and-toe/ In hindsight, I'm not entirely sure an alignment was necessary (though everywhere I read said it was... maybe just to make sure the...
  12. L

Lowering the Explorer

Finally got lowered, spaced, and aligned. Just wanted to share my experience with the alignment. At first, the shop told me there was no way to correct the back camber. I pointed out that members of this forum have corrected it to between -1.3 and -1.6 (the right one was at -2.5 after...
  13. L

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

Thats getting super meticulous! I like it ;)
  14. L

Custom Emblems

The acrylic that I used is clear, but it is available in many opacities and colors. I've never tried putting the design under the acrylic. I'm not sure why you would want to do this. The purpose of the acrylic is merely to cover the holes and give the acrylic something firm to bond to (if you...
  15. L

Custom Emblems

thanks. yea, these weren't bought... they're completely custom. i designed the graphic, had it printed on special vinyl, and precision cut an acrylic mold to wrap around. for a one off shot deal, it was pricey. if there's enough interest, I could produce the acrylic ovals in bulk so other...
  16. L

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

painting has (virtually) no thickness to it, while vinyl wrap adds a mm or so. doesn't seem like much, but sometimes it's difficult to make pieces fit back together properly with that extra mm (especially if it was a tight tolerance already). also, i didn't notice an easy way to pop the chrome...
  17. L

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

Don't want to spaghetti this thread out too much. I did some custom graphic emblems instead of merely blacking out or replacing the OEM ones with another bubbly Ford one. Check it out and feel free to let me know what you think: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429163 . Its...
  18. L

Custom Emblems

I don't care for the Ford emblem on the front and back. It always stood out to me and detracted from the rest of the vehicle. It does look a little better in black, as some people have done. But the "bubbly" look still just doesn't fit. So I took it upon myself to change the game. I still...
  19. L

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

Update: e6000 glue didn't work out. outdoor heat made it melt into a gooey mess, and peeled fairly easily. I also tried liquid nails (the $2 tube of it), and it didn't work either (nor does it dry clear so that's no good). Next I suppose I'll be trying Gorilla glue. Why is the simplest thing...
  20. L

YES! WARNING! Follow JimiJak's instructions on removing. You do NOT want that spring to fall out of its assmebly. It will take a good 1-2 hours to fix it, and is frustrating as hell. I cant believe how crazy and absurd the design is. I finally got mine put back in, but the spring doesn't have...
  21. L

Some minor annoyances in the (lack of) quality

thanks bigdude. i'll look into that tsb / thread. i know all this can be fixed... it just amazes me there's soooo many things going wrong with this car just a year and 5k miles in. sad to say, but i think its foreign cars for the rest of my life. never had problems with my infiniti or hondas.
  22. L

not much humidity here, but yes it is hot :fire: (i'm near the SF valley as well). however, its quite tightly wrapped... around the backside and heath shrunk in place, then jammed against the door. I seriously doubt its goin anywhere, but if it does start peeling, I do have these on hand...
  23. L

S h a d o w

looks great shadow . looking closely it appears you placed the custom grill in front of the stock. how did you attach the custom grill to it? I'm looking to do something similar, but (hopefully) not quite as labor intensive, using an aluminum expanded sheet: http://amzn.to/1esiZ2c . It wont...
  24. L

Finally completed the wrap. Took a couple hours to do right.
  25. L

Looks good all around shadow. How did you do that lower grill? or is that just photoshopped?
Back