Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Three Aussie Mechanics cannot repair the axle seals- Unable to remove C clips in rear 8.8 Diff

Hi Guys, I apologise for my delay in keeping you all up to date. 1. I finally was able to remove the centre pin with quite a bit of hammering. I pulled the bottom gear and found some ridges in it which I smoothed out with emery paper. Some explanation was the gear was not exactly the correct...
  2. S

Three Aussie Mechanics cannot repair the axle seals- Unable to remove C clips in rear 8.8 Diff

You must be young enough to remember your teenage bedroom, mine was a barracks room in the RAAF, very spartan:cool:
  3. S

Thanks, I am sure others will also pounce as it is all good advice
  4. S

I am jealous of workshop and hobby shed, this job should not be done in a carport of apartments.
  5. S

I guess that is what this forum is all about. I used to feel guilty, but these last comments have pleased me so much that others are getting benefit.
  6. S

Your comments will be saved for future reference, many thanks
  7. S

Can you mix the two oils, might need to top up and the 140 was very dear here
  8. S

Again, I do not know why the difference between dot 3 or dot 4 , but all my refences say only Dot 3
  9. S

Wow ! Thanks for the question and answer. Apparently over the years I have most of the list, but the only one I would query would be the diff oil. I had tags on the diff that said 75w- 140 for the oil so I stuck with that. There is probably little difference and yours may be a more current oil...
  10. S

I will do one set and see how far it goes, the tube won't go astray. My manual says apply to adjuster, which I will do when I get the tube.
  11. S

Thanks for your answer, not the one I was looking but you clarified it enough for me to consider a purchase for caliper grease. Again thanks for the comments. I did notice a small packet of grease in my new brake pad box. Arranged a tube purchase thru eBay.
  12. S

Thank you for your comments, but it didn't answer my question. As you can imagine mobility is a problem at the moment and if I can use what I have it saves me hiring a taxi.
  13. S

I have some high temperature bearing grease but my manual mentions using High Temp brake grease. Are they very different or can I use the grease I have
  14. S

I should have guessed that as they were in the same bag as the bolts. Their unusual shape made me think they were made for something as they would have been manufactured individually. Thanks for the confirmation of their purpose
  15. S

Degreaser then brake cleaner. All the bits were nuts and bolts. Same on the axle shaft. Only put little oil on bearing, axle grease in the oil seal to hold spring
  16. S

Back Again to the Diff repair. 1. I finally located and checked the air valve on the diff. It is covered with a small piece of hose with a small air hole in it. It was very dirty and I cleaned the hole out so it appears it will do its job. 2. Took quite a time to clean the R/H axle shaft to an...
  17. S

Hah Ha, Queen Anastacia had most of us walking around with no masks and limited crowd sizes. Even OZ rules had to come up here to be able to play. . but the general advice given is Covid-19 is not a subject for this forum, I m trying to follow it.
  18. S

A car is only dangerous when it won't stop. Not when it won't start 😂, so start with the brakes
  19. S

The first thing, check the radiator out and the coolant. This car does not like the really hot weather. Mine had more holes in it than Swiss cheese so step one was to replace radiator. just installed two drawer system into the rear for $400, best thing I ever did, others cost $1200 + and a 80lt...
  20. S

Hah! At least I didn't put my foot in it. The major DIY was caused by a leaking oil seal highlighted on registration renewal by a mechanic, who then realised that he would have to pull the axles out to fix it. After removing the diff oil and three hours later admitted he couldn't get the axles...
  21. S

Well after realising I would probably never have the axles out again in my life time, I decided to: Replace both Bearing/Oil Seals Replace Handbrake shoes on both wheels Replace Calliper Pads on both wheels Replace rotors on both wheels. As you can imagine that took some time to organise but...
  22. S

Thanks for the suggestion but I would rather shoot myself:dead:. I have received too much help from this forum to risk stuffing it up again.
  23. S

The reference to "My Husband" used to automatically refer to a heterosexual couple, now I never make the assumption as couples are couples. Next time you come up, if the border ever truly opens again, you can join me for a scotch in Surfers Paradise:)
Back