Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

I have purchased ESP Premium plans from Joel over the past several years for 4 vehicles. In each case he helped me choose the plan that best fit my vehicle and driving situation. I heartily recommend Joel to every Ford owner considering an extended warranty. Does anyone know of a similar...
  2. B

Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP)

Dfred, my dealer gave me some pretty competitive pricing on ESP plans but the plans were not specifically from Ford. The plans they offered were advertised as "Ford plans" but were actually from 3rd parties. I've not seen any Ford dealer match Joel's prices if comparing apples-to-apples, such...
  3. B

Did a local Ford dealer show us a altered car fax?

Recommend running an AutoCheck report yourself. http://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/?siteID=2191&WT.mc_id=2191&gclid=CITmj9WnyskCFRCGaQodfqUCXw
  4. B

Talk Me Into a New 16 Sport!!!

I bought my 2014 Limited for less than X-Plan through the CarProUSA process. Here are some dealers in your part of the state that will beat the Friends & Family or X-Plan pricing with no hassle, but only if you contact them via the following links...
  5. B

Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP)

Here are some important facts about the ESP: -The dealer cost for a FORD ESP is about 50% of the retail price. -Purchase the ESP within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles to avoid paying an extra surcharge. -Some dealers will try to sell you a non-Ford ESP, while claiming that it is...
  6. B

CPO Question

My understanding is that a CPO vehicle is similar to a new vehicle, such that the warranty is good at any Ford dealership. If you decide to keep the vehicle, you may want to try another dealership's service dept. Earlier this year, my son bought a CPO Buick. Before being certified, the...
  7. B

2011 Explorer transmission fluid change

I recommend doing a BG flush before 75k miles. The reason for this is that you would be eligible for the BG warranty for the following 30k miles, & for the life of the vehicle if done every 30k miles thereafter. I know that the owner manual recommends a much longer interval, but I'm doubtful...
  8. B

Very close to buying 15/16 sport, few X-plan questions

The X-Plan is a good low-haggle way to buy a car, but I would ask for the D-Plan which gets you an even lower price. In 2009 I bought a new Focus SES, & the dealer gave me the D-Plan price because they knew I was looking at cars at several different dealerships. Not sure about Explorers in...
  9. B

Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread

Here are some important facts about the ESP: -The dealer cost for a FORD ESP is about 50% of the retail price. -Purchase the ESP within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles to avoid paying an extra surcharge. -Some dealers will try to sell you a non-Ford ESP, while claiming that it is...
  10. B

Is there an advantage to raising or lowering tire psi ?

I live on the gulf coast, so winter driving issues are minimal. I always inflate my tires to the recommended pressures printed on the door jamb sticker. The tire pressures should be checked when the tires are "cold". I recommend checking them whenever the ambient temperature changes...
  11. B

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

I'm experiencing a strong catalytic converter smell immediately after rapid acceleration (WOT) such as passing another vehicle on a 2-lane highway. What work exactly does the TSB entail? What parts are involved? Do dealers have them readily available? Is there confusion among dealer service...
  12. B

Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC

Mikie1, I live in Pearland & had a 2005 Thunderbird that I bought used & it had the worst case of the "yucky smell" that I have ever experienced. I heard about the "Frigi-Clean/Frigi-Fresh" process & had it done at RMS Auto Care on Westheimer. The problem was totally gone from that day...
  13. B

2015 Explorer

I agree with binaryman3. It's good to have the option to use E85 if needed, but I would only use E85 if normal gasoline is not available. Another issue with E85 is that it attracts, rather than repels, water. This is not good for the fuel system.
  14. B

First Oil Change Didn't Go As Planned

I hear that from a lot of folks but I like doing it myself. Changing oil on the new Explorer doesn't require jack stands, so the process is failrly easy. I take my used oil & filters to the local O'reilly's for disposal in their recycle oil storage tank. I've heard of too many fast-lube type...
  15. B

Buying new Key FOB

I ordered the new key fob from ebay & programmed it according to the owner manual. It took only a couple of minutes. The key fob did not include the blank uncut blade, so I asked the seller who said that it came that way from Ford but the seller then offered to send me one free of charge...
  16. B

Battery Life

I've been told by some local mechanics that the average battery life for vehicles in the GHA (Greater Houston Area) is less than 36 months. The extreme heat/humidity combination in the summer & the wet winters takes its toll on batteries around here.
  17. B

Sony Sound System Quality (Limited)

As others have stated, what you are experiencing is sound compression or "soft clipping" at higher volumes. I have tested the sound system using CDs. Some CDs were created from very high quality vinyl album recordings via a audiophile recording system. Others are DCC Gold CDs or...
  18. B

Buying new Key FOB

Thanks Peter. I understand about the keyblade. Is a dealer the best option to have a keyblade cut or is there a less costly alternative?
  19. B

Buying new Key FOB

JC56 - did you ever program your 3rd key fob? I ordered a 3rd one also that is an exact match. Can you tell me what the programming procedure is for a push button start Explorer?
  20. B

Sport Oil questions & Analysis

I believe Amsoil & Royal Purple are the best, but other full synthetics by Castrol, Mobil 1, & other top brands are pretty good. You can find these on sale from time to time so that the cost per QT is pretty low. The best oil filter has got to be Amsoil.
  21. B

Oil Change interval

Peter, what did you decide on as a replacement?
  22. B

NEW, Tranparent Bonnet

Peter, The first thing I did when I bought my Explorer was to drive straight to the auto parts store to buy those little mirrors. I like the BLISS system, but I don't think I could drive without those little mirrors. In fact, I try to keep a spair pair on hand in case I have to rent a car for...
  23. B

I did not state my point clearly enough. Ford service depts. will certainly perform BG services to in-warranty vehicles, but those services are not free to the owner under Ford's 3/36 warranty. If you find a Ford dealer that actually covers the cost of BG services for vehicles under warranty...
  24. B

Yes, the BG products are available at many dealership service departments, but I doubt they would use them on a car under warranty. The BG products & services are sold to customers who specifically request them & pay for the services themselves.
  25. B

Water Leak

What sealant did the leak technician specifically use to seal underneath the rail & under the headliner?
Back