Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Fredness

Lifted shocks on the early Sport Trac

These Jeep TJ shock absorber brackets are available on Amazon: They bolt into the T-Bar top mount, and allow you to use Ranger/F150 shocks which actually have +2" and +4" sizes readily available. These are the Ranger +4" shocks included in the Rough Country kit. Installed: Shocks...
  2. Fredness

5R55E/Adapter Housing/Transfer Case bolts missing.

2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin 4x4 225,5xx miles New front driveshaft (after lift) vibrates like crazy 40mph to 60, then NOTHING above 60. Driveshaft company says the shafts look fine, no issues, quality parts, proper lengths - but 2 bolts have backed out 2-3 threads on the front shaft. Tech notices...
  3. Fredness

2000 Eddie Bauer restoration, only to become a donor...

2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0L/4R70W/AWD/3.xx This is the central hub for links, and the "Origin Story". Transmission Project April 2021 CoPart auction winner, $600 (+Fees/taxes) scores me this "Running/Driving" (IYKYK) donor. [Family member] was returning to the East Coast, so I hitched a...
  4. Fredness

2000 Eddie Bauer - need 2 OEM chipped keys cut (Masters)

ZERO luck locally, sourced Stratec keys from Amazon. Programmed to vehicle, using an unchipped key to cycle the ignition. Brought in for cut 2x - still fails to roll the cylinder. Anyone have a lead on a reputable locksmith online that goes by key code? (verified by locksmith and the wafers in...
  5. Fredness

2000 Eddie Bauer to 1998 Ranger lock swap.

The "kids" have a '98 Ranger "Farm Truck": 3.0L, 4R44E, 3.73LS, 30x9.5's, almost 200K on the odometer. The price was right, but there are issues. Primarily all the locks were broken or just not right. There were 2 keys (No PATS) but one was "freshly cut" (from a worn key), and the other is...
  6. Fredness

4R70W Upgrades for towing - Request for assistance.

Patient: 2000 EB 5.0L AWD - Flashing O/D - 134,000 miles - CoPart Salvage Title $600 [Fixing issues BEFORE it gets driveline swapped into a 2005 Sport Trac.] Indications: Flashing O/D light Clean, unburned fluid No unexpected debris in pan, no plug "Firm" shifts (as expected in "limp-home"...
  7. Fredness

NAE5LTSTST...

As the title suggests... Not Another Explorer 5.0L To Sport Trac Swap Thread... Patient: 2005 Ford Sport Trac Adrenaline (4.0L SOHC/5R55E/4WD) Donor: 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer (5.0L/4R70W/AWD) Rationale: 186,000 mile patient [now 225,x..] has a failing 5R55E Torque Convertor [verified...
  8. Fredness

WTB - 6R80 4x4 Pan 2011+

Looking to do some mods - I see lots of PML pan upgrades and I'd like to weld in a drain plug for my next filter swap. K? Thx
  9. Fredness

Wanted 6R80 Steel Trans Pan - Factory

Going back to stock, need a pan to replace my long-gone steel... Zip 75071 Thx
  10. Fredness

5R55E possible issues found - Need thoughts/peer review

Part I starts with the trans failing at 70,000 miles in August of 2010: Complete rebuild (under warranty), CVB Valve Body with SONNAX Mods and Superior Shift Kit and all was good for 80,000 miles. Part II started in December of 2017 - essentially, every time I've dropped the pan to replace the...
  11. Fredness

2001-2003 OBX Header install on a 2005 Sport Trac 4x4 Auto

This is work in progress, but standby... More coming soon. The first thing we need to cover is: Why? "Just by a set for the 2005 Sport Trac" you say? Sure, I could, but I bought these when they were listed as 2001-2005 over 3 years ago and life got in the way. New job, big move, new house...
  12. Fredness

Adjuster/Follower upgrades for the SOHC.

[Edits to follow - work in progress] Where to find the 4.0L SOHC: 1997-2010 Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer 2001-2010 Ford Sport Trac 2001-2010 Mazda B4000 2001-2011 Ford Ranger 2005-2009 Land Rover LR3 2005-2010 Ford Mustang 2006-2010 Ford Sport Trac For us, this story begins in 1997 with...
  13. Fredness

Need pix from someone that has pulled a 2007+ Valve Cover...

That's it, just need to see if there is a cam oiler rail... Thx!
  14. Fredness

5R55W/S first gear in an A4LD/5R55E...

Is it possible? I want the steeper first and second gears in my "older" trans. Thanks
  15. Fredness

Ford Sport Trac "Adrenalin" Audio Upgrade - Success!

We start with an upgrade to the head unit. "Easy enough" one might say, but I’m not known for doing anything “easy”… First our history lesson: The Adrenalin sound system is a Pioneer 6 disc head unit that was “cutting edge” when it was designed in 2002 - even when this unit was installed in...
  16. Fredness

2008 4.0L MPG hunt

This is a customer's vehicle with 32,000 miles and as long as I don't post identifying images/info they agreed to let me do testing since the vehicle was out of service until next week. Now, before anyone gets nit-picky, this is somewhat anecdotal as there is no controlled environment and no...
  17. Fredness

Any folks in Seattle area want to G.T.G. for A/C Stuff?

Replaced a condensor due to previous accident damage, when doing a radiator upgrade. So I figured, since the system was open, I'd replace the orifice/filter, seals and receiver/drier and flush the lines. We got any A/C Pros out there? Not like we need a reason to get together (GTG), but this...
  18. Fredness

Calling all '05 Sport Tracs - It's Injector time!

I did this for the 1998 - and now it's time to do the '05: Link If you have any of the following injectors, let me know: 2005 Explorer 4.0L 2005 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L 2005-6 Mountaineer 4.0L They are marked as follows: 5L2E-D1A - printed on the injector In catalogs (or @...
  19. Fredness

2001-'05 4.0L Cooling system "upgrayedd"

("…that's 2 "D's", for a double-dose of his pimping...") :D OK, the ST had electrolysis, and now winter hits with a radiator in mid-flush. Radiator flush and distilled water offer zero cooling system protection from freezing - actually worse than tap water. Even though the temps weren’t...
  20. Fredness

Electrolysis, stray voltage, bad grounds, the "Big 3" and more...

So, the Sport Trac is 5 years old, but we've had it for a year. After a failed left front hub, and the trans going south, I've decided to start from scratch with the maintenance/routine. So, fluids were first. The oil, trans, transfer case were recent, now the coolant. While testing, I...
  21. Fredness

Re-use the bonded separator plate on a 5R55E? [With mileage updates]

Once removed from the trans and left to dry, the gaskets seem to lift and stretch over the paths. Can these be reused? Or do they have to be purchased new everytime we drop the VB? Thanks!
  22. Fredness

Shrapnel on Valve Body Separator Plate Gasket - Hosed?

Original Thread Old VB is out - ouch. Can someone ID this shrapnel? Red circles are fallouts from what looks like the intermediate and overdrive bands: Close up of first shrapnel pile: Close up of second shrapnel pile: Close up of "gold dust" that was streaming...
  23. Fredness

'05 Adrenalin factory SW options

I have the large plastic SW enclosure under the Driverside quarter seat. I'd like to move it elsewhere to regain function of the folding seat! Any ideas? Pix pls.
  24. Fredness

NA5R55E2-3FT (Not Another 5R55E 2-3 Flare Thread!)

Well, after 3 Explorers, it's finally happened to me. The dreaded 2-3 Flare. The worst part is the total loss of overdrive (O/D Light flashing), the flare is tolerable (for now), but a 20%+ loss of fuel economy could be a show stopper. Since I have a flash tuner, I can bump the shift...
  25. Fredness

AC Always on, unless switch is off...

Searched and found nothing. I don't remember it always doing this, but I think it is an issue. I think it was AC was on in AC, Max AC nad defrost only. Now it is on in every setting except "Off". I've pulled the #2 relay fromn the underhood power distro box, since we aren't using AC at the...
Back