Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

4.0 liter Aerostar misfires on cylinders 2 and 5.

OK, well I did do the intake manifold gasket a while back, but the problem didn't stay gone. I can't recall it too well, so I'm not sure how long the problem went away if it went away, and if that is the case, did I do it incorrectly? I guess so, or is this a once every two year thing?
  2. E

Thanks Jose. I read the manifold vacuum yesterday. It was a very steady 19.1 Inches of mercury. The symptoms are that it will misfire when started, then after about five minutes run smooth, then after about 15 minutes of running smooth will begin to misfire again. Wouldn't you expect this to be...
  3. E

OIC, well it doesn't make sense that a mechanical problem could just come and go. Spraying intake cleaner I'v tried. There isn't enough room to get in there, plus the fan moving air. I could see trying it if it was a Ranger with a hood for better access. Any way, it pretty consistently will...
  4. E

Not an intake manifold leak I did a smoke test on this Aerostar, yes, here it is a year later, with the car sitting most of the time, and I dd get some smoke out of the EGR valve. It was leaking out of the shaft, but not through the valve or the diaphragm. No smoke any where else out of the...
  5. E

A4LD overdrive shift symptoms.

Sorry about the confusion. My other Aerostar is a 1992 2WD. It has the A4LD transmission in it. The A4LD is molded into the transmission bottom cover, so it makes it unmistakable. It also has a modulator, which I have already changed when I drained the transmissionl cleaned the magnet and...
  6. E

A4LD overdrive shift symptoms.

I have two Aerostars. One is a 1997 AWD to which this post does not apply. I also have a 1992 2WD for which this post was written. I searched and searched and could not find anything that matches these symptoms. It may be something as simple as a blown fuse, or shorted wiring or both. I am...
  7. E

I have a misfire and rought idle that is very repeatable after about five to ten minutes of warmup. No DTC codes are set. I bought the ScanXL software from Palmer Performance Engineering (PPE). I was surprised to discover the data collection (USB) device that I bought from Amazon was...
  8. E

91 Aerostar E-4WD front differential/axle mounting bracket is broken.

Welded Repair of Aerostar front Differential Bracket I am happy to report that I was able to affect what I think is a reliable repair to this front differential bracket. I no longer have the clunking while going into gear or changing gears. The rear end of the bracket is now very solid, and...
  9. E

1996 & 1997 Aerostar. OBD-II oxygen sensor live data.

I borrowed a Cen-Tech OBDII reader to read my oxygen sensor and fuel trim live data (PIDs). All other PIDs read but these two. I found a post somewhere that said that Ford light trucks initially did not correctly program these PIDs for display. The same Cen-Tech reader works fine on my 2001...
  10. E

Front differential fluid!!

Yes, it is Dexron/Mercon in the Aerostar front Differential I can testify to what the previous post said about what happens when someone puts gear oil in the Aerostar from differential. A shop who thought they knew better put gear oil in my front differential, and then it would not hold...
  11. E

The junk yard is the only place you will find the axle mounting bracket, because no dealer has the part, according to Jim Coble at gaudinauto.com. He did send me a couple of good diagrams, though. I could not find a source for the rubber isolation mount, so I removed the rubber and replaced it...
  12. E

My '97 Aerostar has the same problem with the front differential mount. I discovered the break in the mount after removing the differential. The mount is nearly impossible see with the differential in place. I see the post about removing the axle shafts is old, but I cannot resist mentioning...
Back